1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1970 F250 No oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 06:02 PM
countrydriven
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1970 F250 No oil pressure

Hey yall, bad news (I think). My truck was reading no oil pressure. I thought it was just the oil sending unit so I replaced that and the wire and still no oil pressure. After this we removed the oil sending unit and started her up...hardly any oil came out. I then thought that maybe the oil filter mount was clogged so I removed it and same deal. Barely any oil (a few drips) came out. Does this mean I gotta replace the oil pump again? Its a melling oil pump so it's brand name. Any advice or other reasons it'd be doing this? Drove it like 30 miles and seemed normal.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:52 PM
ksmn
Freshman User
I'd check the oil pump maybe it's clogged with some kind of dirt from your engine?

You can also start the car for a moment, and then take off the head cover to see if there's any oil there.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:14 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
Take the valve cover off and see if there's oil getting up there.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:17 PM
ksmn
Freshman User
yeah, valve cover. Thats what I meant, sorry my bad for not knowing the proper name :P

Old 07-30-2016, 08:18 PM
countrydriven
Freshman User
Took valve cover off, no oil coming to top of engine. Currently taking engine out. My brother told me it might be because I didn't pack the oil pump with vasoline.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:26 PM
72CC428
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Packed with Vaseline? This isn't that kind of forum.

Seriously, never heard of packing the pump with Vaseline. Why would you want to do that?

Old 07-30-2016, 08:48 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
It's a way of "priming the pump" to get things going, otherwise it may not ever start pumping.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:26 PM
Alex from GA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you have the distributor out? If so the rod that turns the oil pump fell down to the pan. Your brother is pulling your leg.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:52 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
"Don’t ever just install a new oil pump right out of the box. There are two easy methods of insuring the oil pump will create the seal needed to pull oil in on initial start up. The first method is to pack the oil pump full of Vaseline. Vaseline will create the seal needed for vacuum to draw in oil. The Vaseline will then be quickly dissolved into the oil. The second method is to use engine assembly lube and lube all the moving parts. The goal here is to sufficiently coat all moving parts so when the pump spins for the first time vacuum is created to draw the oil into the pump and then push it through the system."

http://www.mossmotoring.com/how-to-prime-new-oil-pump/

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/vase...30.html#/enter

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...-prime.596568/

Old 07-31-2016, 04:57 AM
ksmn
Freshman User
What I did on my truck, was crank the oil pump in bucket full of oil to get it going. And before starting the car I took out my distributor and primed it with a drill through therod that turns the oil pump. Got oil under the valve covers and I knew I'm golden.
No need for vaseline, or engine assembly lube. Real simple, the oil pumps even in modern cars if left not primed sometimes dont get the oil going.

Also how much oil are you running in your engine? With stable RPM while driving, oil gets sucked out of oilpan more then normally, maybe you had not enough oil, and your oil pump caught air, and after that you need to prime it again.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:00 PM
countrydriven
Freshman User
Alright update on the truck:

The oil pump seized. This was evident after me and my cousin yanked the engine. The driveshaft had sheared off:

I think 2 things likely caused this to occur.
1. I did not pack the oil pump with assembly lube or Vaseline. I honestly just installed it without priming it and went with it. I had oil pressure after my initial start and all the way up until I came home from officer basic.

2. When I started the truck up when I got home I realized there was no oil pressure. First thing I did was check the oil. I was about a quart low so I added a quart. Started er back up and still no oil pressure. Maybe due to being a quart low the oil pump lost its ability to suck oil up?

Right now my plan of action is to install a new oil pump, new oil pump shaft, and new exhaust manifolds (I have leaks everywhere...hopefully new manifolds will alleviate the issue because they might just be warped). I am definitely going to pack the oil pump with Vaseline this time and prime the system with a priming tool. I am also going to install a mechanical oil pressure gauge so I can see my exact pressure with confidence. I also pulled my tranny with the engine:

I have a pretty bad tranny leak so I am currently scraping the grease off with a paint scraper. My next step is to spray it with degreaser and pressure wash it and the engine. Following this I will install my new oil pump (packed with Vaseline), clean up/reinstall the oil pan, and reseal the tranny with rtv. Probably going to paint in silver so I can easily spot oil leaks.

Thanks for yalls advice. I enjoy learning more about my truck and am becoming more familiar with it along the way. I'll try to keep yall updated on the progress

Old 08-01-2016, 03:17 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Yeah that'll do it!

In the past, I have filled the oil pump with heavy gear oil and rotated it by hand a few times to get it worked in.

Never had a problem

Old 08-01-2016, 04:12 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 851 Likes on 769 Posts
Probably a foreign object seized the pump. You didn't do any cleaning with a wire brush on a drill did you? We once had a problem with this at a dealership with bristles breaking off and going through the pick up screen, then jamming the pump. (This was when we were repairing a bunch if FE intake manifold leaks)
ooks like you did everything ok when you installed the pump. Have you taken it apart to see what jammed it.??

Old 08-01-2016, 05:34 PM
countrydriven
Freshman User
Made a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFau...ature=youtu.be

My best guess is that a nylon tooth from the timing set made its way to the oil pump but I still dont know how it made it through the screen...or how I overlooked it if it was after the screen

Old 08-01-2016, 05:43 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Well if that's all it was, you can reuse that pump without issue. Just get a new drive Rod.

Quick Reply: 1970 F250 No oil pressure