Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Lower Pad & Leather Change.....Front Seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 07:57 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Lower Pad & Leather Change.....Front Seats

Replaced pad and leather on the lower section of the front seats. Seat removal and disassembly is very easy. Plan on a couple hours which includes cleaning up motors and seat wiring. It is unbelievable how much better the seat feels with new pads. Like an air-ride seat. Another thing is the pads are different between driver and passenger? The only difference we could see was the foam material was different colors, and had different part numbers.

Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2016, 08:47 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The distance between the seam at the perforated center and the edge of the cover is slightly narrower on the side toward the center console. It was a lot more pronounced on the earlier 1999-2001 seat design.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:45 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Thx, I will have to look at my sister's, she has an 01 F350. They sure make the ride better.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:49 AM
ZooDad
Received 590 Likes on 344 Posts
Can you share the part numbers.
Also did you put factory skins or aftermarket?

Thanks

Old 07-30-2016, 10:02 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Originally Posted by ZooDad

Thanks
Yes, I will scan the receipt. I did not get them from Ford.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:13 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Is your truck a Space Shuttle? Looks like it's ready to Blast Off!

Old 07-30-2016, 05:44 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by coax9952
Is your truck a Space Shuttle? Looks like it's ready to Blast Off!
I was going to say the same thing.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:01 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
That's a job I have to do also. Drivers seat is bad, and I broke off the round *** a long time ago.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:04 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by ZooDad

Thanks
I recently did my driver's seat. Here's what I replaced:

1. Rear (back) pad from Ford
2. Seat heaters from Amazon
3. Covers (top and bottom), the bottom pad, and armrest cover from the Seat Shop

The Seat Shop has great videos on how to do the work. It's not terribly difficult, just time consuming. My truck was down waiting for parts anyway so it was parked for a couple of weeks. I took a couple of days to do the work (a few hours each day). I only needed to do it once so I wanted to make sure to do a good job. I also got hog rings and pliers from the Seat Shop. Not the best pair of pliers ($6) but I don't plan on using them again. Just wear a glove when you use them.

Before and after:

Attached Images   
Old 08-07-2016, 03:46 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
how did you wire the seat heaters. is the two switich on lower part of seat in pic the seat heaters controls.

guess it hard to say how they are working at this point but any issues.

which heaters did you get a amazon..

thanks

Old 08-08-2016, 02:27 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by carl2591
how did you wire the seat heaters. is the two switich on lower part of seat in pic the seat heaters controls.

guess it hard to say how they are working at this point but any issues.

which heaters did you get a amazon..

thanks
I bought this kit from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Fiber-Heater-Setting-Warranty/dp/B002LIRG/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1470683918&sr= 1-1&keywords=Carbon+Fiber+Seat+Heater+Kit+Hi%2FLo+Se tting+3+Years+USA+Warranty+-+2+Seats

I installed upper and lower pads AND both switches. I plugged in each pad to one switch so that I have HI/LOW/OFF control for each one. I figured if I was doing this then I'd go completely custom since I would want the back heat more than I would the butt heat.

I still haven't wired up the seat heat yet. I cut a small slot in the carpet and ran the wires underneath to the edge of the carpet. The wires/fuses are still laying along the floor where I removed the scuff plate along the floor. I left enough slack to prevent any chaffing or rubbing through full travel of the seat but it comes up a little short of the fuse holders being in the kick panel next to the parking brake. My original idea was to have everything gathered there under the PCM so it was out of the way (and plenty of places for a ground). I can't find any good place for them now to fit "comfortably" so I will probably splice in some extra wire to make everything reach my original intended spot. After that I'm going to wire the power up to a 12V line that's only hot when the ignition is on. Since there's no timer I don't want the heat on when the truck is off. Outside of having no idea if the seat heat works, everything else is great.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:13 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Didn't know the seat shop had Lariat on there covers? When I talked to them way back they didn't offer that. I believe the price then was $700.oo something for everything but heated pads, still sound right?

Old 08-10-2016, 01:19 PM
pwstroker69
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure there are a few options but I did my driver's side covers last week also. Bought the front set from Leatherseats. com. Had a couple small issues getting them on tight but they were great helping out with advice and overall it came out pretty good. Same as above, I spent a couple down days on it with a few hours each day. Could prolly do the next one in 2-3hrs.

Attached Images   
Old 08-12-2016, 08:38 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Didn't know the seat shop had Lariat on there covers? When I talked to them way back they didn't offer that. I believe the price then was $700.oo something for everything but heated pads, still sound right?
It's a $50 option for the "Lariat" embroidered emblem (plus another fee for perforations in the inserts). There's a lot of other things I can think of to spend $50 on, but I knew that every time I got in the truck I would see the logo on the passenger's seat and I would have wished it was on the driver's seat as well. All said and done it was $650 from the Seat Shop (bottom pad and cover, back cover with embroidery, armrest cover, hog rings and pliers). I went to the dealership for the back pad and Amazon for the seat heaters. As a side note, Ford no longer sells covers (back or bottom) or bottom pads for our captain's chair seats (at least not for the crew cab front seat that does not have the integrated seat belt).

I had the same issue that pwstroker69 had - the covers are a tight fit and required some patience and finesse to work them on (especially the one for the seat back). The Seat Shop videos cover about 90% of the job if you're doing both (bottom and back).

Now that I've been driving around with the new seat, it's never been more comfortable (the truck had 146K when I bought it so the driver's seat had plenty of miles on it already). Everything fits great, smoothed out for the most part, and all lines up.

Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2016, 11:56 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

It looks really good Moose. I have the 60'40 seats in my crew cab. So I'm sure it would be really pricey. Should of done them long time ago. Did you get the upgraded leather? If I remember right they had two types. Are Ford seats really suck after years of use,.

Quick Reply: Lower Pad & Leather Change.....Front Seats