2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

F-450 feature on TFLtruck

Old 07-30-2016, 06:14 AM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 07-30-2016, 08:33 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
TFL Truck is having a good time with the 2017's Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:22 AM
LCR
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Notice the temp gauge climbing at the 10:30 mark.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:35 AM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
Dang no kidding. It crept up quiet a ways.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:00 PM
ciscofreak
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And this is exactly why Ford give people dummy gauges. Notice the fan came on as the temp was rising. Totally normal.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:54 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Smile

Originally Posted by ciscofreak
And this is exactly why Ford give people dummy gauges. Notice the fan came on as the temp was rising. Totally normal.
Had my 7.3 almost a year b4 the fan came on first time on a long pull. Startled me for a minute but then was glad I knew what it was. It has only locked up 8 or 10 times since I've owned it in 16 years. Must be I need to do more work.

Another post someone mentioned the clutch fan. If you need a clutch fan you better stop riding the clutch. The fan for the radiator has a fan clutch. Just a point of accuracy.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:49 PM
Robmiezer
Senior User
I am not "new" to towing, yes more of a Weekend Warrior for the past 14 years. But, this summer was the 1st time I towed with a 2015 F-250 PS. It was also my 1st experience with an exhaust brake. I say it was a world of difference from my Chevy Tahoe (night & day). The exhaust break was amazing, but I only turned it on during long downgrades. I tried it going up, but the engine sounded bogged down. My understanding is the exhaust brake effectively causes back pressure to slow the engine. I guess my question and concern is, should you use it during a climb and straight highway? To me it seems it would reduce power, fuel efficiency, and heat up engine faster (fighting its way through its own back pressure). If so, why did Mr. Truck have it on going up hill? Would that not put unnecessary load on the truck? Again new to exhaust brakes 🤔

Old 07-31-2016, 07:52 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Robmiezer
If so, why did Mr. Truck have it on going up hill? Would that not put unnecessary load on the truck? Again new to exhaust brakes 🤔
The engine retarder/exhaust brake should not be active with the foot on the fuel. It should only have an effect when the engine is not called upon to produce power. If it is active while under power then I would suspect a defect in some device or wiring. Just having the switch on should only make it available for use after releasing the accelerator.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:20 AM
Robmiezer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rasalas
The engine retarder/exhaust brake should not be active with the foot on the fuel. It should only have an effect when the engine is not called upon to produce power. If it is active while under power then I would suspect a defect in some device or wiring. Just having the switch on should only make it available for use after releasing the accelerator.
Thanks, I figured Mr. Truck knew what he was doing. I guess my 1 experience with the exhaust brake was a bad reference. Something must not have been working. On a flat I had to mash the pedal and it still had resistance. I turned the button off and could feel more power and the truck would shoot off again.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:43 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Thanks, I figured Mr. Truck knew what he was doing. I guess my 1 experience with the exhaust brake was a bad reference. Something must not have been working. On a flat I had to mash the pedal and it still had resistance. I turned the button off and could feel more power and the truck would shoot off again.
Sounds like it might have been aftermarket or home installed. Some of the aftermarket installations might have only on/off with no consideration for the state of engine power. Not a problem if the operator does not mind manual operation. I know some big rigs which do not have the foot pedal or clutch wired into the system. Always funny when they show off pulling into the truck stop and the engine loudly stalls out.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:46 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
In one of the videos they were demonstrating the adaptive cruise control and the fact that it uses the engine retarder when you get too close to the next vehicle just as it would when going down a hill. It also talked about the brake lights coming on when the adaptive cruise was slowing the truck down. If one is to use the adaptive cruise that is a good feature.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:15 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
So that brings up the next question on cruise.
When towing I almost always use cruise, and when passing a truck and getting the light flash to cut in, I tap the manual trailer brake control twice. That flashes the brake lights for the courtesy acknowledgement but does not disengage the cruise. I like that feature.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:26 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by porthole
So that brings up the next question on cruise.
When towing I almost always use cruise, and when passing a truck and getting the light flash to cut in, I tap the manual trailer brake control twice. That flashes the brake lights for the courtesy acknowledgement but does not disengage the cruise. I like that feature.
I usually just punch the 4 ways for a couple of cycles. Do not have to do it much anymore. None of the drivers past 1998 even know what it means.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:53 PM
EightySecond
Elder User
Originally Posted by Rasalas
I usually just punch the 4 ways for a couple of cycles. Do not have to do it much anymore. None of the drivers past 1998 even know what it means.
That's what I do as well.