Someone help me understand GCWR

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 02:46 AM
revlis240
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone help me understand GCWR

Hello guys,
Ok, while I am new to heavy towing, I have decades of experience when it comes to the automotive industry. I am starting a auto transport business and have some questions.

I am a believer that "they dont build em like they used to" so I am hunting a 1996 to 2000 PSD 7.3. Ive done a LOT of research but something is troubling me.

Whether it be the PSD, Dodge 3500, Chevy 3500, etc. They ALL have a GCWR of 20000 lbs until you start getting to the 06+ model years when they started creeping up to 26k and beyond.

So if the average truck weighs 7000lbs, the average 2 car steel trailer weighs 7000 lbs, that only leaves you 6000 lbs worth of payload. That is barely enough for 2 toyota camrys these days, let alone heavier cars like say a BMW X5 which tips the scales at over 5000lbs.

Yet I see these trucks hauling 2 car loads, 3 car loads, heck even 4 car loads ALL day long and are CLEARLY over the GCWR.

The real question is while I know the truck will handle it all day long when properly equipped, what about the legality? Are all these people illegal? That cant be? Wont the insurance deny the claim in the event of an accident due to being thousands of lbs over weight?

Any help would be appreciated! I really dont want a 06+ truck and I know the F450/550 are an option, but I am just curious how it is being done all day from what I perceive to be an illegal way.

Thanks!

Old 07-28-2016, 06:14 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
You're right, they are illegal. You need to decide if that's how you're going to do it. The difference is that if they are hauling their own stuff that makes them non-commercial and generally they don't get bothered. If you are commercial you WILL have a big problem if you are over GCWR.

And you're also right that they don't build them like they used to. The new ones are much better.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:18 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
If I were you I would go with a DRW 2013 and up. That will give you the most efficient current generation of diesels.

Don't forget your CDL.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:44 PM
revlis240
New User
Hello guys,
Thanks for the replies. Getting a 2008+ just isnt in the cards for me at the moment.

However, I called the Cali Highway Patrol today and talked to their scales people. They informed me that there is nothing in the vehicle code to enforce GCWR (nor GVWR) BUT that they enforce axle ratings and weights and tire ratings and weights. So basically if your axle weight and tire load are in spec, then you can exceed the GCWR which is what they said is more of a manufacturer recommendation you SHOULD abide by.

Its rare that a ruling authority is on my side and actually makes sense as they usually are somewhat unreasonable. But since they are the ones that would be issuing the citations and such, I would assume I went to the right people to ask?

Anyone care to input?

Old 07-28-2016, 09:14 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I think that you'll find that you are not going to be able to carry very much without exceeding the axle ratings on a truck of that era. The newer trucks have much higher axle ratings.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:26 PM
revlis240
New User
So much confusion!

Ive seen the OBS and 99-01 Rear GAWRs listed anywhere from 6800# to 8200#.

Ive seen 2012 rear GAWRs as low as 9200#...so theyre not that far off if you can find a older one with the 8200# rating?

Old 07-29-2016, 04:30 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
There is a reason that these are different. Has to do with tire and rim differences and the axles themselves.

I know somewhere in those dates Ford went from a sterling 10.2 rear end up to the 10.5.

I have always gone by the axle and tire ratings and ignored the other. DOT does not care about the GVWR as long as you are at least registered for the actual weight of the truck, and of course what is actually on the axles cannot exceed their capacity.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:01 AM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
There is a reason that these are different. Has to do with tire and rim differences and the axles themselves.

I know somewhere in those dates Ford went from a sterling 10.2 rear end up to the 10.5.

I have always gone by the axle and tire ratings and ignored the other. DOT does not care about the GVWR as long as you are at least registered for the actual weight of the truck, and of course what is actually on the axles cannot hexceed their capacity.
That is not correct. Gross vehicle weight ratings are used to determine if a CDL is required to operate a vehicle or combination.

Now, I have never used the GCWR in any sort of regulatory aspect. As far as legality, nothing is stipulated in the part of the CFRs I play in. Or on my states laws.

On the civil side of the law, yes. It can make all the difference in the world. For sake of discussion I am running down the road with an F350, GVWR of 13,200pound and I am pulling a trailer with a GVWR of 24,000 pounds. This is my business pickup using it for work. I need a class A CDL to operate this combination, which I hold.

Now Ford states that the GCWR is 27,000 pounds. So, I scale out this outfit. I'm hauling a machines grossing out at 33,000. I am under the GVWR on both but exceeding the combination rating.

This is all well and good until one day I am involved in a crash resulting in serious injury. The Feds say I legal, my states concurs. My insurance company and victims family disagrees. In a civil trial I could be found negligent and held liable.

A second scenario. I have been running the above setup. I maintain everything as specified by Ford. The vehicle is under warranty and the transmission fails. They determine I've been exceeding the GCWR and deny my warranty claim.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:53 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 1979 Ford
That is not correct. Gross vehicle weight ratings are used to determine if a CDL is required to operate a vehicle or combination.

Now, I have never used the GCWR in any sort of regulatory aspect. As far as legality, nothing is stipulated in the part of the CFRs I play in. Or on my states laws.

On the civil side of the law, yes. It can make all the difference in the world. For sake of discussion I am running down the road with an F350, GVWR of 13,200pound and I am pulling a trailer with a GVWR of 24,000 pounds. This is my business pickup using it for work. I need a class A CDL to operate this combination, which I hold.

Now Ford states that the GCWR is 27,000 pounds. So, I scale out this outfit. I'm hauling a machines grossing out at 33,000. I am under the GVWR on both but exceeding the combination rating.

This is all well and good until one day I am involved in a crash resulting in serious injury. The Feds say I legal, my states concurs. My insurance company and victims family disagrees. In a civil trial I could be found negligent and held liable.

A second scenario. I have been running the above setup. I maintain everything as specified by Ford. The vehicle is under warranty and the transmission fails. They determine I've been exceeding the GCWR and deny my warranty claim.
I disagree with that. Your insurance Co DOES have to pay. With you logic if you are speeding, run a stop light, following too close, DUII, and anything else that makes you negligent your insuance Co wouldn't pay. Kind of defeats the NEED to carry insurance. However, if you purposely lie to you insurance Co that is fraud, then they might be able to get out of it.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:12 AM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by bobv60
I disagree with that. Your insurance Co DOES have to pay. With you logic if you are speeding, run a stop light, following too close, DUII, and anything else that makes you negligent your insuance Co wouldn't pay. Kind of defeats the NEED to carry insurance. However, if you purposely lie to you insurance Co that is fraud, then they might be able to get out of it.
You are correct to a point. Insurance companies go out of their way to not pay a claim or not pay as much as they should. The companies might claim fraud... But is it really fraudulent?

Old 08-14-2016, 05:58 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use to haul cars with a 99 f350. Had it licensed and insured to run in all lower 48 states (had my own authority ) at 42,000 lbs. 12k pickup gvwr and 30k trailer gvwr. The GCWR is simply adding the total combined gvwr of each vehicle.

Never had an issue with any DOT officers, but did have some look closely at my paperwork when I wieghed in at 40k a few times.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:19 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by mudmaker
I use to haul cars with a 99 f350. Had it licensed and insured to run in all lower 48 states (had my own authority ) at 42,000 lbs. 12k pickup gvwr and 30k trailer gvwr. The GCWR is simply adding the total combined gvwr of each vehicle.

Never had an issue with any DOT officers, but did have some look closely at my paperwork when I wieghed in at 40k a few times.
If you have all your ducks in a row roadside inspections are usually painless.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:33 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
That's pretty heavy for an old super duty. Was Manual trans I'm assuming. I think the fifth wheel/ gooseneck tow rating back then was only about 17,000lbs.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:56 AM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
That's pretty heavy for an old super duty. Was Manual trans I'm assuming. I think the fifth wheel/ gooseneck tow rating back then was only about 17,000lbs.
It was heavy, but it did a great job. I put 150k miles on that pickup and sold it to a guy last I heard had over 400k on it without any major issues. It was a manual, but that was definitely the weak point. Went through a lot of clutches. The tranny would get hot and the pressure plate would fail. After I realized what was causing the failure I was able to make them last much longer.