My Beast E-150 through Europe Part 1 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

My Beast E-150 through Europe Part 1

Old 07-27-2016, 07:28 AM
houtslager
Freshman User
houtslager is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.houtslager is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My Beast E-150 through Europe Part 1

Hah, so after being shipped across the pond , my Beast arrived safely in Felxstowe port ,England, after an admin hiccup and a stay in a b and b, I got the keys and drove outfrom Felixstowe to my parents in Oxford. Next stop Dover and Dunkirk. Then another 4 hour drive and I was in Amsterdam. Plan was to have a weeks drive in the Netherlands then drive down to the south of France - the magical Cotť d'zur , just a short drive of 965 miles

Insurance by the VIN number and off I can go .
Europe here I come

Old 12-24-2016, 06:56 AM
houtslager
Freshman User
houtslager is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.houtslager is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The Beast under snow for its first time maybe ? South of France in November. Getting around, but been too forgetful to take pics. Now back in Amsterdam for the holiday, I hope to return to the Cote D'Azur in the new year

Wishing All here , a happy Chrimbo and a healthy new year.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:25 AM
jayro88
Posting Guru
jayro88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Safe travels!! Looks like a good time.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:40 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
vettex2 has a good reputation on FTE.vettex2 has a good reputation on FTE.
Sounds like fun !!

Old 12-24-2016, 03:26 PM
MoeDaMaster
Freshman User
MoeDaMaster is starting off with a positive reputation.
These trucks are way too big for Europe...but fun

Took my E350 ext to Austria in September. I got it all the way down to 16 Liters of Propane/100 km so it costs me as much as my 1.6 Turbo Focus in terms of fuel

Originally Posted by vettex2 View Post
Sounds like fun !!
P.S. Merry Christmas from Hamburg, Germany. Will fly down to Portugal at 4:30 AM (yikes) !!!

Old 02-13-2017, 11:28 AM
houtslager
Freshman User
argh ! ABS brake sensors needed

After driving 10K miles around Europe, the ABS light is permanently on, ok no problem as their pull out and replace parts. Jeez,, can I find a supplier over here without giving my wallet to them > NO !
So, people, can someone give me the correct part numbers for all ABS sensors so I can order them for my next trip.
Also, I need the Battery Tray, with retaining bolt - anyone know a breaker that will post to Europe ? Beer tokens offered for assistance.

Many thanks in advance. Karl

Old 02-13-2017, 02:20 PM
MoeDaMaster
Freshman User
Originally Posted by houtslager View Post
After driving 10K miles around Europe, the ABS light is permanently on, ok no problem as their pull out and replace parts. Jeez,, can I find a supplier over here without giving my wallet to them > NO !
So, people, can someone give me the correct part numbers for all ABS sensors so I can order them for my next trip.
Also, I need the Battery Tray, with retaining bolt - anyone know a breaker that will post to Europe ? Beer tokens offered for assistance.

Many thanks in advance. Karl
Cheers Karl,

it's probably best to source the ABS Sensors and all the smaller Parts from Rockauto.com .

their catalog is great, allows you to pinpoint the exact sensors you need by entering your model data and shipping to Germany works great ... guess it will work for our neighbors too

You can get a shipping quote when choosing UK as a destination . Be aware that it's possible to pay the Import Charges in Advance when choosing fedex/Non-mail-carriers (but more expensive).

for all the sellers that won't ship outside the US I use shipito.com . It'll give you an American shipping address and they'll wait for the stuff to arrive, pack it into new noxes and ship it to your desired (European) address for like 2 Dollars handling + 50 dollars shipping (depending on weight/size)

if you stop by northern Germany give me a howl and we'll test the local beers

Old 02-13-2017, 02:30 PM
MoeDaMaster
Freshman User
Did you ever sort out your heater issue?
Could be a plugged heater core or the vacuum actuated air deflector is stuck.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:56 PM
houtslager
Freshman User
MoeDaMaster, yep found a mechanic in Almere , Holland and we switched out the heater core. Had a warm winter van, now back in France after working back in the UK for some more petrol and beer tokens. :-) Will post a couple more pics when I get to my pc

Last edited by houtslager; 07-03-2017 at 12:41 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes DOH !
Old 07-02-2017, 05:40 PM
vacuumbed
Senior User
vacuumbed is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'd love to see pics of your E150 in Europe! What year is your van?

Old 07-03-2017, 12:38 AM
houtslager
Freshman User
It is a 1996 5.8l V8 Centaurus E150 van, with 241k on the clock. If and when funds allow I will be , taking it apart and do a full as possible rebuild of the engine, transmission, wiring, plumbing, and mechanical systems. So it will do another 21 years.
I would also like to lengthen it by 18"to make it an XLT plus re do the interior with up to date LED lighting.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:49 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by houtslager View Post
I would also like to lengthen it by 18"to make it an XLT plus re do the interior with up to date LED lighting.
XLT is a trim package not a body or chassis size.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:51 PM
jeffreyclay
Senior User
jeffreyclay is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by MoeDaMaster View Post

Took my E350 ext to Austria in September. I got it all the way down to 16 Liters of Propane/100 km so it costs me as much as my 1.6 Turbo Focus in terms of fuel

P.S. Merry Christmas from Hamburg, Germany. Will fly down to Portugal at 4:30 AM (yikes) !!!
Did you have the pleasure of sending any opposing traffic off the edge of mountain roads in what must have appeared like a C-130 without wings?

Old 07-31-2017, 06:29 PM
houtslager
Freshman User
Remembering the fallen of WW I at Paschendale - drove past a village that was "killed by war" It was a small village that was in the middle of a battlefield which was fought over by the Germans and French.
Three times it changed hands, fortunately the inhabitants were relocated by the French authorities, but the village was destroyed totally.

The village of Beaumont - en - Verdun

some piccies ;

https://goo.gl/maps/7k3b6MwG3TH2

https://goo.gl/maps/Zro3jEvAAEG2

https://goo.gl/maps/5armMgr1L552

https://goo.gl/maps/9RfzsAtqDSo

https://goo.gl/maps/GjLhsfEnxcs

Last edited by houtslager; 08-06-2017 at 01:42 PM. Reason: added photos from my Maps