6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 Where is my coolant going?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 02:42 PM
Drecchia
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 Where is my coolant going?

Hey Everyone,

2006 6.0l

Just noticed yesterday during an oil change that I had white stuff around the coolant cap on the overflow bottle and that no coolant was visible. I went and got some antifreeze premix to top it off and it only took around 1 quart. Today after driving it approx 30 miles, the coolant was again missing.

When I changed the oil the other that same day there was no coolant in it, and I don't have any puddles on the ground. Any idea's whats going on?

EGR is deleted with a sinister kit, temps are fine, today it was 94 degrees and the truck was running at 194 oil 192 Coolant when getting off the highway after 15 minutes doing ~75.

I've got a little bit of stiction going on but besides that nothing seems wrong.

Denis

Old 07-26-2016, 03:06 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hope you topped it with something other than green coolant.

With a delete already in place, I'd suspect you have a head gasket issue. Get the truck up to temp, carefully relieve the pressure off the cap and then drive it some more, being careful to not work it hard, just normal driving. Then try and relieve the pressure again after a little bit. If there is pressure, like a decent amount, I'd say heads.

Tried smelling the exhaust or notice white smoke?

Old 07-26-2016, 03:15 PM
Drecchia
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No white smoke, what should the exhaust smell like? I have a 4" straight pipe unfortunately also so its loud as hell.

Like I said, everything seems ok besides the coolant going missing. Was afraid it was the head gasket, has 120,000 miles

Denis

Old 07-26-2016, 04:43 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Usually the only coolant loss from a 6.0 head gasket is from puking. It doesn't go into the oil from headgasket failure unless you've got something weird going on.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:29 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I'd replace the degas cap first before anything else. Cheap part, if it's not holding back pressure could be losing some coolant to venting but not enough pressure to puke it out.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:31 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The 1st thing I'd do is either check or replace the coolant cap. Simple, cheap things 1st.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:01 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check your vacuum operated heater valve on the passenger side hose.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:54 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
I'd replace the degas cap first before anything else. Cheap part, if it's not holding back pressure could be losing some coolant to venting but not enough pressure to puke it out.
It also wouldn't be a bad idea to put a gage on the degas tank and see if the coolant pressure is actually exceeding the cap limits.

It might not be the cap at all.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:02 AM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KDAVID1
Check your vacuum operated heater valve on the passenger side hose.
Hi there, don't want to hijack, but what do you mean by this? I have coolant puke in my EGR deleted 6.0 but I really don't think it's gaskets as the truck runs like a scolded dog and there's no smell or smoke. Just puke. I hear the vacuum coming on a lot of the time when I start the truck so I'm wondering if the two are related?

Old 07-31-2016, 09:01 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by HokieHiVPI
Hi there, don't want to hijack, but what do you mean by this? I have coolant puke in my EGR deleted 6.0 but I really don't think it's gaskets as the truck runs like a scolded dog and there's no smell or smoke. Just puke. I hear the vacuum coming on a lot of the time when I start the truck so I'm wondering if the two are related?
Not sure about your EX having a heater control valve, although I bet it does, but it's on the heater line that runs from the alternator bracket to the firewall and has a gray vacuum line running to it. Occasionally they leak.

FWIW---my 6.0 dynoed 476 rwhp with blown headgaskets. If your EGR cooler is gone and you're puking they're more than likely blown. Try a coolant cap first because once they pop they're done. If it still pukes then get ready....

Old 07-31-2016, 09:07 AM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Not sure about your EX having a heater control valve, although I bet it does, but it's on the heater line that runs from the alternator bracket to the firewall and has a gray vacuum line running to it. Occasionally they leak.

FWIW---my 6.0 dynoed 476 rwhp with blown headgaskets. If your EGR cooler is gone and you're puking they're more than likely blown. Try a coolant cap first because once they pop they're done. If it still pukes then get ready....
Ok, so everything I know about this engine I learned either here or on youtube. I've learned a LOT but having said that, I fear what I'm about to ask may sound rather silly... here goes: Would that also have an effect on the air conditioners ability to do it's job consistently? The front AC works sometimes and doesn't others. Typically when it's underway, it's fine, but when I'm idling it gets warm. The freon level is fine and the rear AC works great all the time.

Would the heater control valve leaking cause the puke in some way? Thanks much.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:47 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
It wouldn't cause puke I don't think but can cause coolant loss.
I myself went through everything possible over almost 2 years before I gave in and did the hg. You can spend that time or do the proper test to rule it out

Old 07-31-2016, 04:01 PM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Originally Posted by KDAVID1
It wouldn't cause puke I don't think but can cause coolant loss.
I myself went through everything possible over almost 2 years before I gave in and did the hg. You can spend that time or do the proper test to rule it out
Well I'm wondering if I'm already two years into it honestly. I've been dealing with coolant issues for some time now. I've replaced the y pipe, the degas bottle itself, replaced the oil cooler (for another reason) it's not a tremendous amount... maybe 1/4 - 1/2 gallon every 1500 miles and I swear the truck runs the exact same but maybe it's time to do the check.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:01 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
It very well could be something simple. Have you checked the valve going to the heater core? I also had a strange one. My water pump was bad and would only leak just after shutdown--not driving and not when cooled down--just after shutdown. Only way I found it was I was jacking it up to do front end work. But for me I'd change the degas cap, check the galley for any wetness, check the valve in the heater hose going to the heater core, all connections, rad drain, all hoses. If nothing do a pressure check on the cooling system. Frankly if your not puking you have a leak. If you are puking.....there you go if all the above has been looked at.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:58 PM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
No, I'm DEFINITELY puking and I've changed the cap as recently as two weeks ago. I'll give those a good once over. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 6.0 Where is my coolant going?