Extremely unhappy Montana owner right now!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 09:44 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredtruckmi
Steve , very well said system wouldn't let me give reps
I did it for both of us bigred!

Old 05-26-2017, 04:56 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
I received word back today that the paint that was damaged when they had control over the camper will NOT be covered under warranty as it is a "warranty exclusion". So I sent an email back for them to confirm that it will not be covered. In fact, she hasn't mentioned ANYTHING in the email I sent her. So, with that in mind, to avoid violating forum rules, from now on I will have to be selective in what I say. But I will say this, for years my wife and I have paid into a legal plan through work. It will not cost us a dime except for the court costs. I know it may be a big pain in the @$$, but I'm to the point of letting someone else worry about it. This will all depend on the return email, IF I GET ONE. I've already spoken to my dealer today and informed them of our decision if they do not repair the unit.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:05 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,627 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by golfmedik
I received word back today that the paint that was damaged when they had control over the camper will NOT be covered under warranty as it is a "warranty exclusion". So I sent an email back for them to confirm that it will not be covered. In fact, she hasn't mentioned ANYTHING in the email I sent her. So, with that in mind, to avoid violating forum rules, from now on I will have to be selective in what I say. But I will say this, for years my wife and I have paid into a legal plan through work. It will not cost us a dime except for the court costs. I know it may be a big pain in the @$$, but I'm to the point of letting someone else worry about it. This will all depend on the return email, IF I GET ONE. I've already spoken to my dealer today and informed them of our decision if they do not repair the unit.
Geez, Monty. Nothing like pouring salt into an open wound!!! I feel for you, man!! Hope you can get some satisfaction!!!

Old 08-16-2017, 04:48 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
So any news that you are allowed to talk about?

Old 08-17-2017, 06:21 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Wesley Green
So any news that you are allowed to talk about?
The repair from the factory has held up with no separation of the sidewall as before. However, I've had to redo all of the caulking on the nose that they had put on due to it peeling and falling off. The paint on the nose is still an issue that I have about 3 weeks to get resolved. The dealer has said they would do it based on the email I received back from Keystone about 6 weeks ago. So, after this trip I have to get it to them as our so called "extended warranty" expires.
In the last month alone, I have been contacted by six individuals that are having the same problem we had with the separation in the wall. Five of them are Montana owners and one is the owner of a brand new Alpine. Since the repair and pics were done by Montana, they are letting some dealers do repairs such as this. The place that attempted my repair the first time now knows what all has to be done now. I've heard from two that Keystone now has a step-by-step guide to do this repair, if no sidewall has actually been damaged. One other is bringing his camper form northern North Carolina to the collision shop mine was at first to do the repairs, just waiting on Keystone to say they will pay for it.
I've said it before and I will say it again, I believe this was a design flaw and NOT someone on the line that forgot to put the wood inside the aluminum framing and I believe there are a LOT more out there that do not have the separation YET. I believe there are going to be MANY other very unhappy customers with the "15-'17 Keystone campers in the next few months. Problem is that many do not pay close attention to the things like this and will not know they have a problem until the delam starts or the wall breaks.
One thing that scares the hell out of me is the one pictured below has already been repaired by Keystone at the FACTORY and then this happened two weeks ago when they let the slides out at a campground.

This is under the left front bedroom slide. The repair obviously has a major failure!

Old 08-17-2017, 09:55 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
That IS scary...esp after the home repair I did on my Arctic Fox. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...amination.html )

See last photo towards end of the article. PhotoBucket screwed up my others.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:05 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BPofMD
That IS scary...esp after the home repair I did on my Arctic Fox. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...amination.html )

See last photo towards end of the article. PhotoBucket screwed up my others.
That should work!

Old 08-17-2017, 05:07 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
I think the value in this entire thread and what the OP has gone through is it sets a precedent. For a change someone saw the entire process through and didn't just dump a wreck on someone else. It puts a manufacturer on notice that it is not okay to simply put out junk and dump the end result on the consumer.

I hope that every single one of the owners who have similar problems go back on the manufacturer. Go to a owner's rally and speak out. I would love to see a class action suit as I think that is what it will take to put the RV industry on notice that enough is enough.

My rant,

Steve

Old 08-17-2017, 05:54 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Steve it isn't a rant. It is a very informed observation

Old 08-17-2017, 06:24 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
I think the value in this entire thread and what the OP has gone through is it sets a precedent. For a change someone saw the entire process through and didn't just dump a wreck on someone else. It puts a manufacturer on notice that it is not okay to simply put out junk and dump the end result on the consumer.

I hope that every single one of the owners who have similar problems go back on the manufacturer. Go to a owner's rally and speak out. I would love to see a class action suit as I think that is what it will take to put the RV industry on notice that enough is enough.

My rant,

Steve
Originally Posted by bigredtruckmi
Steve it isn't a rant. It is a very informed observation
I second bigred's opinion.

I did cancel my plan to order a Montana 380 because of this thread. and I did inform Keystone, and passed this thread along.

Thank You Sir, for the update.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:13 AM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am still concerned over my Montana and check the nose, and everything else frequently.
I have over 6000 towed miles so far and don't see any issues yet. This experience that Monty has gone through has put me on alert though.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:30 AM
slangvel
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been reading this thread and wanted to add something here. There is a site called "center for auto safety" CAS, was started by Ralph Nader years ago. Anyway, they have an attorney in each state that will take your case under federal statue, if you have take a car, truck, RV back for the same issue 3 times or more. I had to do this several years ago, only fee for me was filing in Federal court in Chicago. My attorneys were paid by the corporation we were suing.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:26 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by slangvel
Been reading this thread and wanted to add something here. There is a site called "center for auto safety" CAS, was started by Ralph Nader years ago. Anyway, they have an attorney in each state that will take your case under federal statue, if you have take a car, truck, RV back for the same issue 3 times or more. I had to do this several years ago, only fee for me was filing in Federal court in Chicago. My attorneys were paid by the corporation we were suing.
Monty, if this is true, I'd heavily look into it. Funny thing is, we looked at Montanas yesterday at the small display at the Nebraska State Fair. I really like the layouts, but I will simply NEVER consider one after all I learned from your experiences. It's too bad.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:40 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by slangvel
I have been trying to track this down on the Internet. What you are addressing here is a "lemon law". Each state has them, but they are allowed to set their own criteria and in some (possibly many) states RVs are excluded in the law. The industry makes a great cheer when they manage to block legislation in a state, by my recall. I can't find a federal statute that applies to all states. Can you say more about this, how you learned about it, etc.?

Steve

Old 08-27-2017, 03:48 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,991 Likes on 1,598 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Monty, if this is true, I'd heavily look into it. Funny thing is, we looked at Montanas yesterday at the small display at the Nebraska State Fair. I really like the layouts, but I will simply NEVER consider one after all I learned from your experiences. It's too bad.
I have a Raptor for sale..........

Quick Reply: Extremely unhappy Montana owner right now!