Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

My latest toy....

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 06:58 PM
theologian
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My latest toy....

Is a Hallmark Pop Up Camper, all of 9.5 feet long, and cute.

It is an older model, with manual raising top, and no fancy anythings, but it is great for me to trundle round the country looking at things.

I am going to buy a National Park Pass, for $60+ and go see All the parks, then I will wander round the desert for a while, looking at things, too.

I will have a tremendous amount of fun, and will try to keep everyone posted on my progress. I do not embark on the epic journey until the month's end - so will be around for a while. But after then..... I do not know where I will be or what I will be doing: Theo is going on Walkabout..

(The last walkabout I did lasted seven months and I had a great time - went from Colorado, through the northern states, over to Utah, then into the rockies for a while, then back to southern Colorado - that was in 1999, so I am about due for another walkabout

Theo

Old 08-18-2003, 09:44 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My latest toy....

With that much time on your hands I think you would enjoy a trip up the Alaska highway.

Anytime you're in Kansas, let me know if you need a place to stay. I always keep the beer cold and the talk lively.

Old 08-18-2003, 10:09 PM
theologian
Postmaster
My latest toy....

If you would email me a contact number, I would take it with me.. We, Sliknspeedy and I, are intending to start our walkabout in that direction - we found a cool supermarket in Joplin, Missouri, and an interesting looking museum in Wichita.. So we leave here on or about September 1st...

I am glad that she decided she wanted to come too - she is a fun person to hang out with..

About the Alaskan highway,, If I could get there without going through the anti freedom country to the north of us, I would go like a shot, but I can't go through the police state of Canada - they wouldn't like my armaments...

Theo

Old 08-19-2003, 04:01 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My latest toy....

I thought about a serious walkabout when I get out in a few months. I need to wrap up some things and get everything stabilised at home first tho...

Auburn Indiana is very much on my list of must visit places, because of the Cord.

Old 08-22-2003, 05:15 PM
theologian
Postmaster
My latest toy....

I got a new air bed for my camper today, really comfy, and I have a mattress coming for the overhang.. We will have to take it out for a trial run sometime soon. The lack of A/C in it is annoying - I have priced up a portable unit for $499, which is out of reach this month, and next, so we will have to get used to heat.. I did get a fan though, that is better than nothing.

Theo

Old 08-28-2003, 08:38 AM
theologian
Postmaster
My latest toy....

I am getting ready for my walkabout, should be on my way in a week or two..

A picture
Another picture

It is a very small thing, but surprisingly roomy with the roof up - there is a pull out queen sized bed above the cab, and a good sized twin where to table fits.. I am going to enjoy this..

My Webshots page with more pictures of the truck, and the camper.

I updated my webshots account to permanent, and can now have 3,000 photos uploaded, so I have to get working.

Theo

Last edited by theologian; 08-28-2003 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:05 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
My latest toy....

Hey! Save some room for "road photos" okay?

Nice looking engine bay, very uncluttered.

My entire focus for the next twenty four hours or so is going to be getting to the bank, paying the rent, and collecting the new truck from El Cajon. I may have to spend all of tomorrow riding buses to get to it, but that sucker is MINE!

After that, I've been thinking I need to sort out my FTE account something fierce. I lost count of all the pictures on it long ago, and never used them all for anything much.

It's time to re-do it all.

Old 09-01-2003, 02:06 PM
theologian
Postmaster
My latest toy....

My walkabout is postponed yet again - I have ordered a Dell laptop, which should have beed shipped Labor Day, but has been put back.. It will not be shipped until the 16th.... GRRRRRR I need it for the trip, as I have to go places where I need very good maps - like the ones found on my 2 GB mapping software. So I have to wait for the computer to arrive. This makes for a not happy Theo, but whatever...

So, I will not be leaving until the End of September, by which time, I will have gone completely insane, and be biting the tires on my truck.

Theo

Old 09-02-2003, 09:51 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My latest toy....

Originally posted by theologian

So, I will not be leaving until the End of September, by which time, I will have gone completely insane, and be biting the tires on my truck.

Theo
Instead of biting your tires, might I recommend a set of dodge tires?? Some may still have the aroma of an oil burner.

Theo, if you go insane, then how much trouble are the rest of us in??

Old 09-03-2003, 06:35 AM
theologian
Postmaster
My latest toy....

Old 09-04-2003, 11:07 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
My latest toy....

Hmm, with a laptop and an inexpensive digital camera you could build up quite a library of photos to remember the trip by -

Without spending a single dime on developing or film...

Best of all, you can review them right away. MS WORD is a good way to build a photo album - insert an image and write anything you want to about it!

Old 09-05-2003, 08:13 AM
theologian
Postmaster
My latest toy....

I have a Sony SLR Digital camera, that I bought a few years ago - It is great, takes pictures good enough for my needs - It takes crisp clear photos - much better than the scanned photos I have posted around. I am going to have fun on this trip - I have a couple of things I am supposed to investigate, to help pay for fuel.. That is the problem with being a director of an investigation company.. They expect me to work...

I am hoping to either find a modem for my cellphone, or change cell phones to one that has a readily available modem.. I have an older 6160 - Had it for years, very reliable, but no longer supported with accessories. With the modem not only can I receive email, but can post here from time to time.. I will be in Southern California at some time, for a day or two..... email would be useful at that time.

I have used MS Word for that purpose, and printed the results out on my over the top laser printer - I bought it for the Church, but politics came and ruined that idea, so I have a massive color laser, that makes light of all manor of commercial printing jobs. It prints on either side of the paper, and has multi paper bins.. I should sell it, but that would mean getting it out of the office, and it weighs too much to carry anywhere.

Theo

Old 09-05-2003, 04:00 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
My latest toy....

Forgive me Theo, for I now covet thy laser printer...

:-staun

Last edited by Greywolf; 09-05-2003 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:47 PM
theologian
Postmaster
My latest toy....

Bad Wolf... Coverting a guys printer...

It is cool though - I have next to no use for it, so it will never run out of toner, which is good, as it costs about $200 to replace the toner. It does really good work - it is better than a photograph - I printed a picture of a gopher with a bazooka that looks like a work of art. I will probably find something to do with the thing, and then make millions with it.

Theo

Old 09-13-2003, 05:10 PM
theologian
Postmaster
My latest toy....

Update on the printer you coverted, Wolf,,..

It blew itself.. Won't boot, won't print, now just a very large paper weight.. Serves me right for bragging. We have a service contract on it, the guy who came to fix it took one look and ran.

So no printer in working order, which is very annoying.

Theo

Quick Reply: My latest toy....