Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about rear shocks on a 2wd

Old 07-21-2016, 12:27 PM
Oilfield Trash
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Questions about rear shocks on a 2wd

As most of you know I have been fighting with the X to get a good driving experience. I have done quite a bit of work to it with each thing appearing to improve the xperiance. Yesterday I made a 400 mile round trip for work. There was a few times where the Road was really rough and would toss the X around and scare the crap out of me. Before getting back on the road and heading home I looked everything over and noticed the right rear shock was not exactly where it should be. No tools in hand as I left them all home for this trip. I decided to just take it easy and head home. About half way home I remembered I had airbags and inflated them to about 60 psi and the ride was way way improved. Anyway I unbolted the bottom of the shock and adjusted the shock mount finding one bolt slightly loose. But I noticed that the shock seems short. The shock measures 24-3/4 from eye to eye and the mounting points measure 22-1/4 from top eye of shock to center of mounting hole. Is this enough travel? They are KYB shocks not sure if which model. I tried the Bilsteins 5100 before the KYB and they were to long. What would be the correct length shock for my X? I have modified C codes from ATS and that is where I gained the extra height. Trying to attach a picture but it keeps saying wrong file format? Below is a list of things I have done so far that might help y'all help me.
Modified C codes
KYBs rear shocks
Monroe reflex front shocks
Hellwig rear sway

Old 07-21-2016, 12:36 PM
Oilfield Trash
Senior User
This picture is of the shock full extended

Old 07-21-2016, 01:02 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Not an easy question to answer. Maybe get shocks that are for a 2" lifted 2wd?
I have RAS which gained about 1/2 to an inch and don't have issues with stock-height shocks, but I have a lot more travel than that!

Old 07-21-2016, 01:17 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 814 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Oilfield Trash
As most of you know I have been fighting with the X to get a good driving experience. I have done quite a bit of work to it with each thing appearing to improve the xperiance. Yesterday I made a 400 mile round trip for work. There was a few times where the Road was really rough and would toss the X around and scare the crap out of me. Before getting back on the road and heading home I looked everything over and noticed the right rear shock was not exactly where it should be. No tools in hand as I left them all home for this trip. I decided to just take it easy and head home. About half way home I remembered I had airbags and inflated them to about 60 psi and the ride was way way improved. Anyway I unbolted the bottom of the shock and adjusted the shock mount finding one bolt slightly loose. But I noticed that the shock seems short. The shock measures 24-3/4 from eye to eye and the mounting points measure 22-1/4 from top eye of shock to center of mounting hole. Is this enough travel? They are KYB shocks not sure if which model. I tried the Bilsteins 5100 before the KYB and they were to long. What would be the correct length shock for my X? I have modified C codes from ATS and that is where I gained the extra height. Trying to attach a picture but it keeps saying wrong file format? Below is a list of things I have done so far that might help y'all help me.
Modified C codes
KYBs rear shocks
Monroe reflex front shocks
Hellwig rear sway
There is no adjusting for the lower shock mounts, they index onto a pin/post on the axle housing and can only be in a single set fixed position. If your mount is currently rotated too far down and is off the index post then that would account for some of that extra distance that shock isn't reaching.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:26 PM
Oilfield Trash
Senior User
In the picture the the lower shock mount is back in the correct position. I had a loose nut from I guess when I installed the sway bar allowing the shock mount to rotate downward. I am googling now to try to find an operation range of shocks.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:29 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
A few things.

1. That is a KYB gas adjust but it is not the correct one for your excursion.
If you wanted the correct KYB gas adjust it would be part number 54329

2. Just my opinion but the gas adjust model from KYB is a harsh shock. If it was on my vehicle I would ditch them for a more road friendly valving.

3. if you are happy with the valving and ride of the Monroe reflex I would put those on the back, otherwise I would ditch all 4 and replace with a single manufacture so the valving is matched. Unless you have experience shock and suspension tunning you are going to be better off sticking with the setup from 1 engineer.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:38 PM
Oilfield Trash
Senior User
Pirate you have a PM

Old 07-21-2016, 01:53 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 814 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Oilfield Trash
In the picture the the lower shock mount is back in the correct position. I had a loose nut from I guess when I installed the sway bar allowing the shock mount to rotate downward. I am googling now to try to find an operation range of shocks.

OK, gotcha now. The way I read the first post it was unclear to me that it was back where it belonged.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:54 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
In an effort to resolve your handeling issue I am requesting you remove the shock and get me a clear pic of the entire shock. I am looking for some details like if the shaft is wiped clean the entire length and if so is the top of the shock body where the shaft goes in making contact with the shaft mounting end.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:48 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Here are the specs for a Monroe reflex meant to be used on a stock height 2wd Ex.

Get your measurement at full droop and we can see whats what.

Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2016, 02:49 PM
Oilfield Trash
Senior User
I will go remove the shock now. I am also going to get it jacked up by the frame to measure the total droop

Old 07-21-2016, 03:08 PM
Oilfield Trash
Senior User
Here is the picture of the shock. Measuring from the "T" mounting point to center of eye hole it measures 25 inches.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:21 PM
Oilfield Trash
Senior User
Rear shocks and rear sway bar removed the rear tires are jacked up off the ground by way of the frame. I measured from where the upper part of the shocks mount to the center of the lower mounting bracket hole. And the measurement is 26-1/4.

Is that the correct way to measure full droop

Man it's freaking hot today.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:31 PM
DSN46
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed. I'm interested also!

Old 07-21-2016, 06:44 PM
Oilfield Trash
Senior User
After a little bit of research I found these shocks. I wonder if the 1-1/2 difference of compressed lengths is enough to bother the truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions about rear shocks on a 2wd