Not jumping ship/just need an edge!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 07:33 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Not jumping ship/just need an edge!

Long story short.......

I sleep with my e-99 srw 4x4. Fact of the matter is I'm in Northern Michigan and nice trucks from the south come, but they leave.

I just happened to find a visitor, with a 6.4 2008 SD Diesel that was wiling to sell it Right here, Right now. 116k Beautiful forest green exterior Tan lariat 4 door interior with every option including the back up cam and dvd in the rear......whatever blah blah that guys don't care about.

I asked my wife if she would drive it for a few years until rusty (my99e retired so I could step up) and she said no!! I told her that if my truck completely stopped giving blood I would be forced to push a intervenous flow of cash immediately into the driveway to replace her.

She said, "let me see this" (Being a former all bells and whistles Avalanche and Mustang GT girl).....I rolled it in the driveway.

What happened next should be truck ****. At any rate, the greenlight thumb was thrown and it sits unplated in the spare driveway.

My question (sorry about the length) (and yes I know about the 6.4 site),,,,,is beside the DPF and the EGR, is there anything else that one of my 7.3 bros knows about that I should immediately pay attention to.

She's totally Denmark blonde and she will be at the helm. I'm brown eyed and ususally covered with poison Ivy or nail holes.

I think I taught her that green handles are the way to fuel but, ya know.

Any lurking inclinations from my 7.3 guys about the 6.4 would help.

Beautiful truck 116k. Spotless southern truck for 23 grand. Couldn't pass.

Thanx in advance for the chuckles or advice. (stuck with it now) I'll report in here as I am keeping my 7.3 for my driver.

Denny

Old 07-18-2016, 07:57 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
If the check engine light comes on, hold your breath and pray. Cab off repairs are not cheap. We tried one 6.4 at work and switched to gas motors.

Although I have heard that if you take it somewhere and the DPF and EGR happen to fall off, along with a few other tweaks, they become a monster that also gets North of 20 MPG when running empty and the motor problems seem to go away.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:09 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The engines don't last long. I've also heard about coolant cavitation in the front cover.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:14 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,186 Likes on 815 Posts
They have a tendency of braking rocker arms once you put a tuner on them. You can work with the cab but it is a very, very tight fit.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:54 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the engine bay is just about the right size for a 7.3.

Just saying.

And let me be the first to remind you.

No pics, didn't happen. Both the Denmark blond and the truck.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:11 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDenny
Long story short.......

I sleep with my e-99 srw 4x4. Fact of the matter is I'm in Northern Michigan and nice trucks from the south come, but they leave.

I just happened to find a visitor, with a 6.4 2008 SD Diesel that was wiling to sell it Right here, Right now. 116k Beautiful forest green exterior Tan lariat 4 door interior with every option including the back up cam and dvd in the rear......whatever blah blah that guys don't care about.

I asked my wife if she would drive it for a few years until rusty (my99e retired so I could step up) and she said no!! I told her that if my truck completely stopped giving blood I would be forced to push a intervenous flow of cash immediately into the driveway to replace her.

She said, "let me see this" (Being a former all bells and whistles Avalanche and Mustang GT girl).....I rolled it in the driveway.

What happened next should be truck ****. At any rate, the greenlight thumb was thrown and it sits unplated in the spare driveway.

My question (sorry about the length) (and yes I know about the 6.4 site),,,,,is beside the DPF and the EGR, is there anything else that one of my 7.3 bros knows about that I should immediately pay attention to.

She's totally Denmark blonde and she will be at the helm. I'm brown eyed and ususally covered with poison Ivy or nail holes.

Thanx in advance for the chuckles or advice. (stuck with it now) I'll report in here as I am keeping my 7.3 for my driver.

Denny
not sure about the 6.4's but if your other half has a tendency to accidently grab the wrong pump or something, get a fuel cap like whats pictured, mine is green with "DIESEL" on it...might cut down on the confusion....

Old 07-18-2016, 10:05 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,341 Likes on 1,749 Posts
Subscribe to AAA and AA. The former well help when you drive, the latter will help when you are driven... to drink.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:19 PM
derek0525
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All I know is we have a kid at work that traded his OBS plus about 20k for one and he had it for about 6 months before head gaskets blew and he had some other problems not sure all of them but I know he dumped about another 8k into it so far don't know how he drives but I think he wishes he would of kept the 7.3l. Nice looking truck though I think he washes it about every other day so I'm guessing he drives it pretty easy.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:53 PM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I believe they are known to have issues with radiator leaks. It seems some truck have no issues with them, but others seem to eat through them at a regular pace. I have also heard the same about how a lot of the other issues disappear following a delete.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:04 PM
IDI-Charlie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
Shop foreman of one of my companies' customers had an '08 6.4 for 213k problem free miles. Threw egr/dpf delete at it and tuned it, thing ran very well. Ended up trading it for a '14 Ram. Was going to buy it but dealer was a little too eager to get my 7.3 out from under me and tacked on extra fees for not trading it in. As long as you keep a strict maintenance regiment like he did I'm sure it'll treat you all well.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:28 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Thanx Charlie.

Hard pill to swallow without some reassurance. Hat's off mister.

My wife will be tender footing it in a business girls suit until I jump in the good smelling saddle. She believes it's a short term solution.

My 7's running strong and this is my backup. (If any of you *******s tell her how long these 7.3's last,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in the words of Sam Elliott, aka SgtMjr Plumbley, " I'll kill ya."

Denny

Old 07-19-2016, 11:15 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I have a co-worker that got gas from a diesel pump (fuel delivery service pumped gasoline into the diesel tank at the station) in his 6.4L. He made it about 5 miles. Cost the gas station $9k to fix his truck. Yes, they paid for their mistake because a BUNCH of people got gas from the diesel pump that day and all came back with pitchforks and torches. If you or your wife makes the mistake, though...

Other than that one incident, he has had no problem with his truck in 8 years, and it is all stock.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:28 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
My boss had one and he deleted it. Damn good truck! It pulled like a beast, gooseneck trailer with 2 mega mud trucks on it plus gear and spare parts. I wouldn't believe the mileage claim too much but none the less it got better than the 7.3.
I looked into the 6.4 when I was on the verge of getting rid of my problematic 7.3 but decided against it and went with cummins since the 6.4s were so freakin expensive initially plus the things I would have had to do to it after the fact. It sounds to me like you scored!

Old 07-20-2016, 08:22 AM
fordpower88
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDenny
Long story short.......

Denny
First off a big congrats on the new truck!! You will love it! I love mine and had a 7.3 for almost 10 years before jumping ship to the 6.4. Mine is deleted and I haven't had any trouble at all. It pulls like a beast and puts my old 7.3 to shame in the pulling department for sure. Not to mention much quieter. Just keep up on the maintenance and enjoy your new truck! Lets see some pics of the new truck.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:07 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
I'll post some after I get the thing waxed and named. Thank you sir!!

I'm going to run foreskin (forescan) on it this evening when things cool off and see what we see.

Denny

Quick Reply: Not jumping ship/just need an edge!