Bazooka kicker woofer that doesn't need amp and other amp questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 11:34 PM
norman2012
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bazooka kicker woofer that doesn't need amp and other amp questions

Back in the 80s or 90s I remember a woofer that came out that didn't require an amp. By amp I mean one of those boxesthat power speakers

I thought the name of that amp was a bazooka and kicker me it but when I was looking online I saw kicker and bazooka are 2 different brands. Since I don't know what those kind of woofers are called I just searches for woofers that don't need amps. That didnt help

Does anyone remember the kind of ND who made the woofers I refer too?

The main e reason I don't want a woofer is they the up too much room but I thought I heard of one that fits in the Rm rest of an excursion. Does anyone know the me and model of that?

Old 07-20-2016, 11:37 PM
madsonp
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Bazooka makes two different types, an amplified one and a passive one. The amplified one has a built in amplifier, the passive requires an external amp to power it. You can find them here https://www.southernaudioservices.com/Tubes.aspx

Old 07-23-2016, 08:55 PM
norman2012
More Turbo
Originally Posted by madsonp
Bazooka makes two different types, an amplified one and a passive one. The amplified one has a built in amplifier, the passive requires an external amp to power it. You can find them here https://www.southernaudioservices.com/Tubes.aspx
Thanks for the response and explanation. Have any advice regarding them? I'm in my late 40s and have 4 children ranging I age from 4 months to 7 years. It's a family vehicle. I dont Think I need an amp do I?
I just got a kenwood dnx893s excelon head unit, and infinity kappa 50.11cs component speakers and infinity kappa 52.11l 5 1/4 " speakers for the rear doors.

I'll get one of those amplified Tubes.aspx you linked to unless there's such a thing as powered sub woofers that will replace the very back 2 speakers (is there)?

Old 07-23-2016, 09:49 PM
madsonp
It's been a while since I've listened to one but from what I remember they had pretty impressive sound. There's no subs I'm aware of that'll replace your 2 back speakers. Either way, the sub will need to be amplified be it internally or externally so you don't have much choice there, you can either control the level to the sub from your head unit or they have an optional level control you can get to control the level https://www.southernaudioservices.co...ifer-P209.aspx so you don't blow the kids out of the car, and when the kids aren't with you then you can always crank it up like the old days. I think you should go with one of the amplified bazooka subs that have the internal amp so you don't need to install another component, then you'll need to run power, a ground, a remote turn on lead, and an RCA cable to it that'll plug into the subwoofer preamp outputs on your deck. The size of sub to get is dependent on the room you have for the sub and how deep of bass you want (the larger the sub, the deeper the bass). You have a nice head unit and I think adding this to your system will make a big improvement to the sound. Here's the installation manual for the 10" amplified if you're interesting in reading it. http://bazooka.com/pdf/current/Tubes...gualforweb.pdf

Old 07-25-2016, 01:20 PM
norman2012
More Turbo
thanks madsonp I just ordered that 10 inch bazooka after reading your post

Old 07-25-2016, 09:41 PM
madsonp
Good choice, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Be sure to let us know what you think of it after you get it installed.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:50 AM
Derek86
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh man, I haven't seen Bazooka Tubes in forever, I didn't know they still existed. The Bazooka tube will do exactly what you want, add some foundation to the music but won't be brutally loud.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:58 AM
madsonp
Did you ever get this installed ?

Old 08-27-2016, 06:50 AM
norman2012
More Turbo
No I have a friend who owns a hot rod shop whos going to
I just can't get pushy with him over a favor and I don't want to pay a stranger to do it.

My friend is adding onto his body shop now maybe next week

Old 08-31-2016, 03:19 AM
BT7800zz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, I've always been quite surprised that there haven't been more of the bazooka type "tube subs" out there, since they're able to produce some nice, tight bass and especially if you "corner load" them (have the woofer end pointed into a corner, which is often an installation spot that makes sense) they can kick out some pretty strong bass, especially when you factor in that you don't need to plop some huge sub box in the back that takes up a lot of room and is a PITA to remove whenever you need to haul something and need the room.

I've had several of them and I'm not part of the "must shake every car around me" crowd, just like some nice, tight bass I can hear AND feel and for that, they're perfect!!

Old 09-19-2016, 12:54 AM
madsonp
Originally Posted by norman2012
No I have a friend who owns a hot rod shop whos going to
I just can't get pushy with him over a favor and I don't want to pay a stranger to do it.

My friend is adding onto his body shop now maybe next week
Well, did you ever get this installed ?

Old 09-27-2016, 11:43 AM
norman2012
More Turbo
no i didnt install the bazooka yet I will either when I take the exccursion in to get the headliner done or soon after. within 2 weeks or so

Old 09-27-2016, 06:10 PM
madsonp
no i didnt install the bazooka yet I will either when I take the exccursion in to get the headliner done or soon after. within 2 weeks or so
Ok, just making sure you didn't forget about us.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:56 AM
norman2012
More Turbo
The one I got is huge though. Not what I expected. The one I saw in the 80s fit behind a truck seat. This one is probably over a foot and a half across and three feet long

Old 10-01-2016, 12:00 PM
madsonp
The one I got is huge though. Not what I expected. The one I saw in the 80s fit behind a truck seat. This one is probably over a foot and a half across and three feet long
That does seem pretty large, just think though, now all your friends will have subwoofer envy

Quick Reply: Bazooka kicker woofer that doesn't need amp and other amp questions