Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Rob's project - Tan Truck

Old 02-22-2018, 08:41 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had no idea your brown pickup met its demise, that sucks. Youre running that .63 housing non gated am i right? Any guesses on drivepressure? Nice score on the idit

Old 08-26-2018, 01:02 AM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Alright. Update time!

After many trials and tribulations, I'm finally building it up for Hunting 4 Horsepower.

My build:
1988 short block. This block came in my red '93 when I got it, and proved reliable for over a year with plenty of boost and fuel. It finally blew a head gasket(after being overheated and leaking slightly for a /year/), and went into the rebuild queue.

Heads are freshly rebuilt - Bought them from a forum member on the other side of the country. Last August, I dropped them off with Typ4/Russ. This year, I picked them up at the same time.
These heads are supposed to have a new R&D-tested valve grind on them, along with plenty of recession/clearance.

IP is my good old RD2-110. The only performance pump I have.

Turbo is going to be my S360 sitting on a Banks Sidewinder piping kit.

As of today, I finally fired up the motor. Here are videos:
1. First firing. Ran.
2. Second firing. Still wrong on timing.
3. Finally got the timing straightened out, and she runs nicely!

Now, it's time to shove the turbo on her, shove her in the truck and get her moving again!

Old 08-26-2018, 01:20 AM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User
Sweet! I haven't watched the videos yet but I'll get there. Looking forward to your progress with this build.

Did you cam it? Anything else above stock IDIT besides the turbo?

Old 08-26-2018, 01:25 AM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Originally Posted by The_Josh_Bear
Did you cam it? Anything else above stock IDIT besides the turbo?
Like I said - Typ4 cam and Typ4-modded heads.
Also I forgot to mention the headstuds, but that's pretty much a given for a high-HP build.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:22 AM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User
Wierd I didnt see the cam mention, sorry. I figured since the heads were with Russ but hey you never know.

Cant wait for more! How's your IDI family nowadays? Are you in the double-digits yet?!

Old 08-26-2018, 11:02 AM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Originally Posted by The_Josh_Bear
Wierd I didnt see the cam mention, sorry. I figured since the heads were with Russ but hey you never know.

Cant wait for more! How's your IDI family nowadays? Are you in the double-digits yet?!
No, not yet.

Here's a few of them.
From left to right:
1. Single-cab '88 F-250 4x4 5-speed 7.3 IDI
2. Ext-cab '84 F-250 4x4 5-speed W. '87 6.9 IDI(Had a C6 stock). This is actually my friends. All other others I own outright.
3. Ext-cab '88 F-250 4x4 5-speed 7.3 IDI with ATS Turbo(Non-wastegated)4. Ext-cab '92 F-250 4x4 5-speed 7.3 IDI with Banks Sidewinder(Wastegated) turbo
5. Single-cab '87 F-250 2x4 C6 7.3 IDI(Had a 6.9 stock) with ATS Turbo(Non-wastegated).

In addition to those, I have:
1. Red/gry Ext-cab '93 F-250 4x4 5-speed 7.3 IDI with Factory Turbo, WW2, and my GearVendors(current DD).
2. (this thread's truck)Tan ext-cab '88 F-250 4x4 5-speed 7.3 idi with Banks piping, S360, RD2-110, typ4 cam etc.

My friend Matt(who owns the above '84) also owns(well, as soon as he pays for it from me) a '85 F-250 4x4 6.9 idi with Hypermax turbo and 4-speed. Paid $370 for it. It's got oil in the coolant and needs oil cooler rebuilt. Haven't heard it fire yet.

So... only 6 trucks(of my own) so far. I *so* want a crew cab IDI...

Old 08-28-2018, 11:12 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Motor's in, and trans is connected.
Tomorrow's plan is to hopefully get it firing in the rig.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:13 AM
imtoasty
New User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Been following this thread for a while, excited to see what kind of power this thing makes. Are cams getting to be more common for these IDI's?

Old 08-29-2018, 08:48 AM
RaymondIV
Elder User
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Brings to mind years ago when a Detroit Diesel rep came by our shop. When the subject came up, he said you never, never start a rebuilt engine with no coolant, even for a second or two. The reason being there's absolutely nothing to absorb and dissipate combustion heat. Made sense to me after some thought, probably the worst damage is loss of piston ring tension from the trapped heat with no where to go. Appears to be true, a while back a guy on You Tube proudly ran his uninstalled rebuilt engine for a couple minutes then a few months later he was asking why all the blue smoke from a new engine.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:15 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RaymondIV
Brings to mind years ago when a Detroit Diesel rep came by our shop. When the subject came up, he said you never, never start a rebuilt engine with no coolant, even for a second or two. The reason being there's absolutely nothing to absorb and dissipate combustion heat. Made sense to me after some thought, probably the worst damage is loss of piston ring tension from the trapped heat with no where to go. Appears to be true, a while back a guy on You Tube proudly ran his uninstalled rebuilt engine for a couple minutes then a few months later he was asking why all the blue smoke from a new engine.
Possibly true, but I'm not concerned for a couple of reasons:
1. There's a big difference in 30 seconds and two minutes in terms of fuel used/ heat build up.
2. The block will absorb heat(as it does anyway); it's that thermal mass that is what you have. Once it's hot, then you risk damaging things
3. You also have lots of oil(on a 7.3 IDI) splashing around in there cooling the cylinder walls and pistons. This will keep things cool for a bit... until that oil gets hot. That's why we have an oil cooler.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:07 AM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Well, she's driving. As of around 9AM today.
Not perfect, mind you, but drivable. She's not tuned and adjusted quite right yet, so she's noisy(engine touching firewall at idle and under deceleration), doesn't make a ton of power off idle(timing? The cam doing something?), but once you get the revs up there, get the turbo pushing boost... she takes off.

I've also been having issues with lifters. Had a brand new set of made-in-usa lifters I bought a couple of years ago, and it wasn't running right. Pull the valve cover and find 3 valves pouring oil out of each pushrod at idle. The others, it just dribbles out. Replaced everything with "known good" used lifters from the original motor, and hey - runs better. One still leaks though, but I don't have time to fix it before H4H. Hopefully more boost will overcome the 'lazy' cylinder.

It also looks like I'm going to need to build a lifter test rig, for testing all my lifters and making sure I can have a good set.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:20 PM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User
Update? How'd H4H go?

Old 10-15-2018, 11:26 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
She ran... Not /well/, but ran. She made 230 on the same (low reading dyno) that Big Blue ran 200 on(The dyno wasn't putting enough load on the engine to make it spool well).
There were several other IDIs at less than that - one guy around with a custom S360 setup and stock pump(or was it RD2-90?) got 231. Other than that, Justin was the only higher IDI to run with his bronco... which only made 385 or something like that.

I'm going to pull the cam when I work on it next and put in my R&D cam. I an convinced now that there is something wrong with the Typ4 cam I have. It still runs and can drive, but I have it parked for now.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:08 PM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you going to try his jayro2 cam or whatever it's called, made for extra boost?

I know before you were getting 22ish psi out of that s360, are you getting the same now

Old 10-20-2018, 10:18 AM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DarkOverCast
Are you going to try his jayro2 cam or whatever it's called, made for extra boost?
The R&D Stage 1? Yes. I have one on the shelf, but I wanted to get that Typ4(Torque Cam) to work instead.

Originally Posted by DarkOverCast
I know before you were getting 22ish psi out of that s360, are you getting the same now
Yes and no. With sufficient spooling and WOT, yes, I can hit 22-25. With moderate throttle and short periods of time? No. It's just not spooling nicely, especially lower in the revs. It also feels like I am bleeding compression down low - I have to give it a bunch of extra advance to not smoke and barely start when cold(which messes with the mid-range power). Retard it(from that point) and it runs OK, but smokes a ton of white on startup and requires lots of glow plug application to stay running.
Like I said, there's something off about this particular cam.

I've been focused recently on other non-truck-related projects, driving Big Red(the '93). Time for this project has been limited.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rob's project - Tan Truck