1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

air conditioning system recommendations for a '53

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 01:08 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 726 Likes on 259 Posts

who's put what system in their truck and with what engines ??

I'm running a 460 (or will be) and I need an underdash unit for the cab...

Vintage air ?? Air Tique, Old Air ???

give me the good, bad and ugly

thanks

john

Old 08-18-2003, 06:02 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

John

Did you consider a 15,000 BTU window unit in your garage. That'll keep you comfy in your '53 for the foreseeable future.

Old 08-18-2003, 06:20 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As far as 'fenders suggestion, you'll need an extension cord if you want to mount that in your truck window.

I don't think they recommend mounting A/C compressors on certain engines. Ya gotta remember, tapping off 20% of your total HP for A/C might make it impractical to drive in today's traffic.

Old 08-18-2003, 07:21 PM
hotrod48
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vintage Air makes a kit for the '53-'56 Ford F-100 Trucks with
Gen-II technology that is a sure fit system.

Old 08-18-2003, 08:01 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 726 Likes on 259 Posts

Rob,

thanks for the info... have you used their stuff... what brand compressor do they use... ?? Sanden, ???

and welcome to FTE... I apologize for the children... I just can't do a thing with them these days... I think I should just take them to the vet and have them put to sleep.

Fenders..

and I was gonna send you a nice email tomorrow and ask where you've been... your absence has been noticable and I wondered if you'd just given up on enlightening us single digit i.q. types.. thank goodness your here and I see as helpful as EVER

George...

thank you for the h.p. calculations... lets see 600 less 20% equals 480 h.p. that should still be sufficient to spank that ride of yours...

pay attention Rob... one thing you can ALWAYS COUNT ON is 'the boys' helpin' you out... they're really harmless as long as they have their snack, their nap and twice the prescribed dosage of their medication

now ... which way did I come in...

john (really too cool to even need a/c... it's for my passengers...someday ???)

Old 08-18-2003, 08:58 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 302 motor with a Hot Rod Air A/C unit. It is "ok", but if I had it to do again, I'd go with the Vintage Air unit.

Daryl

Old 08-19-2003, 01:22 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

OK John, I'll try to be serious for a moment. I have heard a lot of people say the same thing as Daryl. Some of the brands that use the underdash square box looking evaporator units have an "old" flavor, but the vintage air units seem to be the favorite performance wise. I think you better stick with the proven performer in your climate. I think most of the units on the market now use the Sanden compressors.

Old 08-19-2003, 03:01 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

John,

I just got mine up and running but I used an OLD Air Cap unit. If I had an insulated cab it would work great. Seems like most of the guys here in Middle Tennessee have had good experience with Old Air which uses Sanden Compressors. Another excellent source of information is Mike Brown of Rainbow Products who always is at the F100 Nationals selling Climate units back by where the awards ceremony is. He is very versed on the subject and he seems like a straightforward guy. He will steer you to what you need not what he wants to sell you. He is in Mt Ulla, NC. Best wishes as you proceed. Oh by the way there is a complete Old Air unit inside and under hood with a Sanden 508 on Ebay at a price of $459 last check. Mid 50's sells the same unit for 995. Something to think about.

Old 08-19-2003, 03:14 AM
Bikeitswift
Senior User

Originally posted by DS59F100
I have a 302 motor with a Hot Rod Air A/C unit. It is "ok", but if I had it to do again, I'd go with the Vintage Air unit.

Daryl
Daryl, what's wrong with your HRA unit? I put theirs in my 63 with a 223 six, and it runs cool with stock radiator and fan, doesn't sap power (what there is of it). I need to beef up my roof insulation with another layer, but mine does fine, and fits up under the dash much less obtrusive than the stock one.

Old 08-19-2003, 04:48 PM
hotrod48
Elder User

I havn't used vintage air yet but I won an under dash evaporator at the Southwest Streetrod Nationals. It is the Gen II Mini. I just got it and havn't put it in yet. I havn't bought a compressor(don't which one yet).

Old 08-19-2003, 08:34 PM
Purple55
Tuned
Received 58 Likes on 14 Posts

I've got the Vintage Air installation on my '55,460, about 99% complete.Fairly easy, but for us first timers,I think the instructions could have been a little more detailed and "picture-esque".
Its a Sanden compressor.

Old 08-19-2003, 09:31 PM
Bikeitswift
Senior User

I agree the install is fairly easy. I knew nothing about AC, and the only "tech" question I had to call Hot Rod Air on was "which way does the coolant flow?". I was that much of a novice. I had to scab up my own brackets on my 223, and used Allan Grove Chevy 6 ones and mixed up, turned them around, and tried 'em six different ways. Ended up with a neat installation, looks cool and I drive cool in south Texas heat! Stock raditor and fan runs at 160, and really doesn't sap any power to notice. It must be those new Sanden Compressors. The evaporarator from HRA is guaranteed for LIFE...everthing else is five years! Pretty good for a $795.00 complete system.

Old 08-20-2003, 11:26 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking air conditioning system recommendations for a '53

I used the Hot Rod Air. It is paired with a Sanden comp. Install and performance were good. If I was going to do it again, I would pay the extra $100 and get the electric controls rather than the vacuum accuated model. Note: Hot Rod and Vintage are almost identical. Good luck, John

Old 08-20-2003, 01:34 PM
Aekisu
Elder User

I installed a Vintage Air unit in a 70 Chevelle a couple of months ago.

I found their instructions complete but confusing. I had to refer back and forth between pages and finding the correct information was sometime difficult. They need to combine the documents into one step-by-step instruction.

Their phone support was great.

The actual hardware (including brackets) was first class.

Although the kit is advertised as designed for the Chevelle, everything still wasn't a direct bolt-in. For example, there was nowhere to attach the windshield ducting to, on the underside of the dash. They blamed the problem on the various options available with the Chevelle.

Finding the correct v-belt pulley combination was a real nightmare. I ended up leaving that to the shop that charged the system. Most of this problem laid with the fact that Chevy has a couple of different water pumps.

Would I buy another Vintage Air unit? You bet I would.

Old 08-20-2003, 02:30 PM
bhabben
Senior User

Folks,
Do any of you have any recommendations for which compressor to use? I was sold on the Sanden's until I saw this posted over at ackits.com:
The Seltec 488-55021 would be fine for this application. Mounting is the same as the Sanden. If you want a little larger compressor with the same mounting look at the UNICLA. We also carry the compressor mount but may be a little different that the hot rod set up. Send me an email address and I email the mount in a pdf format. We have polished the Seltec just for the fun of it and it will look as nice as the polished Sanden. I think your best choice is either of the two listed as the Sanden's rumble at about 1700 RPM and have way too many shaft seal leaks!!!
Seltec's?
UNICLA?
Adios,
Brett

Quick Reply: air conditioning system recommendations for a '53