5.4 V8 3V Crate Engine Cost In Canada???

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 05:53 AM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
5.4 V8 3V Crate Engine Cost In Canada???

Hello FTE folks. I am hoping someone can shed some light on what a 5.4 3v crate engine from Ford costs in Canada. I believe in the U.S. they are around the $5200.00 mark.

Now trying to get a straight answer from a Ford dealer in my area has been like asking if anyone like's good root canal I seem to be unable to get a straight answer and I would be misleading you if I said it was not driving me up the wall.

Thought that maybe some of the FTE folks may have had the fortunate or unfortunate ( if you were not under warranty ) experience of installing a crate engine in your truck.

So if you have been down this road, and have some insight on what the price may be, feel free to chime in. Thanks gang

Old 07-20-2016, 11:13 AM
Oilfan94
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fellow Canadian here,
I recently bought a 2006 F350 with a 5.4L and 200,000K.

I don't know what I was thinking, but I didn't get a professional inspection and didn't do a thorough enough test drive. Turned out that the engine was suffering from the typical cam phaser & timing chain issues. From what I've been able to find out, by the time it gets as bad as it was, it's pointless to just replace the parts and you need to rebuild or replace the engine.

I looked around for options. I found an engine shop advertising a rebuilt 5.4 for $4500. Not sure what was included with that, but I'd guess you'd end up replacing/adding several parts along with that.

But in doing some research, this place had nothing but horrible reviews. And since I was looking for someone to to do the engine swap, I decided to avoid them.

I talked to a service manager at one of the dealerships in town. While not an official quote, off the top of his head he said that it would be about $12,000 for a replacement engine installed. HO LEE ****! (I didn't ask what it would be without the labor).

I found an ad on Kijiji advertising used 5.4 engines for $2400, installed for $3000 (by a licensed mechanic, working out of his garage).

His story was that he knows a guy who services government trucks and apparently what they do, is pull & replace the engines at 100,000k, even when running fine. So then they sell these 100,000k engines for fairly cheap. He buys them as required, checks them over, replaces a few gaskets, plugs etc.

I went for it. He charged me more because it's harder to pull the engine on an F350 than an F150. He never promised a date to be finished and I was OK with that, but a couple weeks turned into a couple months. Turned out well in the end and the engine runs great now.

Probably not what you're looking for, as it's a used engine, not a new crate engine....but it's the cheapest option I found.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:17 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well My issues with my 08 5.4 3v v8 just started occurring here a little bit ago. I have seen ad's on kijiji and else where advertising 5.4 rebuilt long block engines, but of course they don't really say where these are sourced from and the guarantee on the engine was 1 year or 20K Kms or if they install it's 5 yrs or 50K kms and I believe they are around 4995.00 to start ( that's just to start never mind anything else yet )

From Ford in the U.S. I have gotten a price around the 5 to 6 range ( mind yopu that is U.S. dollars not Canadian bucks!) The dealers here seem somewhat reluctant to tell you what the price which has me somewhat baffled, feels like I am asking the Colonel for the spice recipe for the KFC Chicken.

I have seen various ads for engines for sale from vehicles that were wrecked or at a parts place. Only thing about them is you just dont know what your buying unless you get it inspected first and somehow I dont see most places letting you do that. Mind you the 30 day warranty doesnt exactly inspire confidence in the engine IMHO.

I have seen different places in Edm and Cal that are offering those rebuilts I mentioned in the beginning of this reply but I still have to do some homework yet and check them out before I take that into consideration. I am hoping to get a Ford one but the cost factor will be a big decision, it is really out of whack how much we pay up here for OEM parts IMO It seems like we almost pay double what they do in the U.S.

If a guy got a Ford one at least you know the warranty would be fairly solid, with the other guys I have no idea who warranty there stuff and these third party warranty places have so many exclusions in their contract it isnt even funny and some people say that those warranty's arent even worth wiping your *** with.

Well I dont mind spending the money, but if the price is going to be as much as buying a used 6.2 is well then thats were the factor of upgrading comes into the mix. Not what I want to do but it is an option I am keeping on the table if my search for an engine doesnt fair well.

I looked at having the engine rebuilt but the cost is no where near cheap. My truck has 299K Kms on it with almost 10K hours of run time and from the codes I pulled off of the truck it looks like it needs to be rebuilt or a new/used one dropped in.

I appreciate the input cause lord knows I havent really been able to pin down what the cost of one is around here....lol...one of the best kept secrets apparently

Old 03-30-2019, 12:24 PM
Robert Turner
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr. Pocketlint, sorry to revive a old thread but I wanted to ask if you ever found a viable solution for a crate/rebuilt 5.4L Triton in Canada.... hopefully Edmonton specifically as that's my local market too.

cheers,