Fiberglass tilt front end. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Fiberglass tilt front end.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:16 PM
Elder User

Drewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud of
Fiberglass tilt front end.

I know this has been discussed before, but I have not seen many ideas that don't have all kinds of slides and actuators. The problem with fiberglass front ends that are cut the way I cut mine is that they flap all over on bumps if not secured in some way. I needed some way to strengthen the cut area and align the 2 parts when the front is closed. Sitting still they look ok, but put it on a rough road and you get a different story.

I've been experimenting on alignment methods and I have yet to find something that I'm happy with. My latest prototype involves a couple of pins with a metal plate on the mating part to align the parts. Works ok, but still get a bit of a squeak between the two metal parts.

I had to elongate the holes that the pins go into due to the arc that the front end follows as it closes on the pins

Any suggestions. Keep in mind that I'm trying to keep it simple.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:02 PM
Postmaster

Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.
nice work! how about rubber sheet to cut down the rubbing or carpet? Are you planning on using any type of a hood latch along with the pins?
Old 07-11-2016, 02:48 PM
Senior User

emay has a good reputation on FTE.emay has a good reputation on FTE.
Is the squeak the only thing that's a bother at this point? Rigidity is good, your alright with everything as you run down the road?
Old 07-11-2016, 03:41 PM
Elder User

Drewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Craig View Post
nice work! how about rubber sheet to cut down the rubbing or carpet? Are you planning on using any type of a hood latch along with the pins?
I've been looking into some way isolate the metal pin from the plate that it connects with. If it were not for the elongated slot I would have used a rubber grommet.

As far as latching I want something that's hidden.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:55 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by emay View Post
Is the squeak the only thing that's a bother at this point? Rigidity is good, your alright with everything as you run down the road?
I hate squeaks and rattles. I think it will only get worse. Hoping someone might suggest something I haven't thought of.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:13 PM
Elder User

avf100 has a great reputation on FTE.avf100 has a great reputation on FTE.avf100 has a great reputation on FTE.avf100 has a great reputation on FTE.avf100 has a great reputation on FTE.avf100 has a great reputation on FTE.

Last edited by avf100; 07-11-2016 at 04:16 PM. Reason: link didnt work
Old 07-11-2016, 04:17 PM
Senior User

emay has a good reputation on FTE.emay has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski 2 View Post
I hate squeaks and rattles. I think it will only get worse. Hoping someone might suggest something I haven't thought of.
I think the answer lies with use of rubber like the stoppers are done today on current cars but in a way that allows your dowel like idea to succeed squeakless. I just didn't know if you were entertaining an overhaul entirely.

I've seen some slick rounded plastic dowels that are made of material like timing chain guards that seem to hold up to wear well. Maybe something like that vs the metal pin. Or, invert that idea and use a plate of plastic on the hood side, slotted just like you did to have the metal pin slide into.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:04 PM
Postmaster

Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.
What about using 70's Corvette hood latches to hold it in place... or what about a stair lip between the two wood surfaces to help keep your alignment along with a pin
Old 07-11-2016, 07:10 PM
Senior User

seaves46 has a good reputation on FTE.seaves46 has a good reputation on FTE.
I have a mate here in Aus that fitted a fiberglass tilt f/end on his 55 .
It is a very nice pickup , but he hates driving it due to the fact his front flops around .
He just leaves it in the shed and drives his 56 panel .
Old 07-11-2016, 07:50 PM
Elder User

A guy on Facebook told me I needed a sheet of UHMW plastic and duplicate the metal plate in the plastic. After looking it up......sounds like it might work....tough, self lubricating and abrasive resistant. Anybody have any experience with it?

I'm not sure if that is the same thing as Delrin.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:07 PM
Elder User

avf100 has a great reputation on FTE.avf100 has a great reputation on FTE.avf100 has a great reputation on FTE.avf100 has a great reputation on FTE.avf100 has a great reputation on FTE.avf100 has a great reputation on FTE.
My off road motorcycle uses that type of plastic for the chain guides. Very strong & durable. So for what you are going to use it for it should last forever.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:56 PM
Senior User

ZFLASH is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ZFLASH is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have '03 Vette and I've been thinking of incorporating the same hood latches in my truck, keep us posted. Good luck, L8R ZFLASH