Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Android Radios...Is There One That Fits Without Trimming The Dash?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 10:32 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Android Radios...Is There One That Fits Without Trimming The Dash?

I've searched and searched but cannot get the answer I'm looking for.

I've installed a iPod adapter to my Ex's factory 6CD head unit..but I'm thinking I might like to upgrade to one of the Andriod units.

I have seen that there are some that "clip in" like the factory radio...but I'm also wanting to avoid having to trim the dash bezel.

So...is there one may that will slip in from the front like.a factory unit?

Old 07-10-2016, 07:27 AM
johntpr
Senior User
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...id-radios.html

I was thinking the same thing Matt. Here above is the thread I was studying.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:52 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Since the opening isn't a true double din size and most of the radios are, trimming is very hard to avoid. It was quite easy to do and I have no doubt my factory radio could be made to go right back in with little trouble.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:42 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
With my Pioneer I only had to trim less than a 1/6 of an inch. and if I wanted to I could reinstall the factory radio and you would never know I trimmed anything.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:57 AM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I've trimmed several of these on my trucks and excursions and have always been able to put the factory radio back.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:43 AM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Okay...so even with a trim the factory radio can be put back.

So...can these Android radios be mounted the same way the factory does...meaning....slid in and locked from the front? Or does the dash need to come out?

After pulling all that apart last winter to paint the dash...I'd rather not pull it all out.

I have an iPod adapter that works..but I'd really like to have the built-in nav, sub woofer connection, etc....I cold also ditch my ScanGauge...

(Part of my OCD has an issue with the rear headset and radio controls no longer working after the swap...even though they've never been used.....)

Finally...I did read the other threads, but if someone has a recommendation to a unit that works well, fits, etc...I'd be glad to hear it...

Old 07-12-2016, 08:50 AM
carnochanm
Junior User
Subscribed and interested....

Old 07-14-2016, 08:17 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
Magnolia Tom recommended this one to me for my 2005 Excursion.

https://www.amazon.com/Android-Lolli...ing+double+din

It works with the on wheel controls if you have them, but I'm not sure about the rear controls which is what I'm concerned about too.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:36 AM
sessland
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt M, PA
Okay...so even with a trim the factory radio can be put back.

So...can these Android radios be mounted the same way the factory does...meaning....slid in and locked from the front? Or does the dash need to come out?

After pulling all that apart last winter to paint the dash...I'd rather not pull it all out.

I have an iPod adapter that works..but I'd really like to have the built-in nav, sub woofer connection, etc....I cold also ditch my ScanGauge...

(Part of my OCD has an issue with the rear headset and radio controls no longer working after the swap...even though they've never been used.....)

Finally...I did read the other threads, but if someone has a recommendation to a unit that works well, fits, etc...I'd be glad to hear it...
I've used 2 different styles of the dash install kits and had to remove the dash trim to get the head unit in and out on both. Removing the dash trim only takes a few minutes.

I was really excited when I first saw the Android head units but then after doing some research decided to hold off on buying one.

There are many mixed reviews I've read and the general opinion is the radio reception is terrible, bluetooth is so so depending on your device, the wifi adapter many use is also pretty poor.

Keep in mind that each time you power off the vehicle your Android head unit will take some time to boot back up. On some units you can set the unit to stay "on" for a certain amount of time after the key has been turned off.

Also, from what I've read these units are not a "true" Android operating system. Android is sort of an overlay and many of the functions are achieved with proprietary software behind the scenes.

For the price most people seem willing to put up with the bugs.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:42 AM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
sessland...thank you for the frank response. I work with computers, broadcast video gear everyday and do not tolerate "bugs" and such easily. I always had a "feeling" (perhaps incorrectly) that they were too cheap for what you got.

I repainted the dash last winter and really do not want to pull it again. These trucks aren't getting younger and I don't want to have parts cracking, etc.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:09 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Old 07-14-2016, 02:47 PM
sessland
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt M, PA
I could be wrong, but to me it looks like a generic "Chinese" head unit with a big price tag.

If I was paying that kind of money I'd rather have a big brand name (Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, etc), at least you'll get some warranty/support from the manufacturer.

Is there a reason in specific you wanted an Android head unit?

Old 07-14-2016, 08:22 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Second on the Kenwood. Really like mine with the Garmin Nav. Did lose the rear controls but oh well... My wife doesn't like the Blue tooth mic when I talk to her over it though...

Old 07-14-2016, 09:43 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
I will hand it to Joying in the support department. If you buy it from them and not a third party, they will send you parts and updates after verifying your order number. You just have to work with a bit of language barrier. There is no comparison from a Kenwood to a Chinese head unit sound wise, but there is also no denying the endless possibilities with Android apps. It is true Android at its core and uses any music app, nav app, etc that you want. the radio reception is ok and the wifi is stronger than my cell phones. I let it update in the driveway when I start it some mornings and it never takes long. I have a four hour delay where it will stay booted after turning off the ignition so running errands is fast. otherwise a full morning boot with music playing and GPS loaded and ready takes about 45 seconds. Any time even when booting the reverse cam will work as it is on a different circuit. Tether it to a phone and Waze or Google maps runs perfectly. There are drawbacks, but if you understand what you are buying up front they are a great value.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:54 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
No...not particularly set on an Android unit... I just read stories on this forum.

I thought that maybe the ones on that site might fit without mods. Seems to me that enough vehicles were built with the "Ford" sized radios that there would be some support in the aftermarket. My former 03 Cobra had the same size radio as the Ex, SD, etc.

Maybe I'm too much of a purist, but I just don't want to modify the dash. I've pulled it a few times, so perhaps that's not the biggest deal...but once in...I want it to fit well and look right.

I currently have a rear view mirror that displays the back up camera when the Ex is placed in reverse as well as a ScanGauge and subwoofer in the third row footwell. Depending on the unit, I could move those functions to a new head unit...and have a better integrated iPod (or thumbdrive, etc) music connection and navigation. This is what drives me to look into a new head unit.

When I looked at some of the units on Crutchfield for example, they say that the factory radio cannot be put back in after the modifications made to swap to a newer unit.

I do remember reading somewhere that there were units that would slide in from the front and click into place like factory unit.

In the end, I'm trying to do the homework to do it right. Or, what I think is right. I know I won't be happy if the new unit doesn't fit or work well. It took some homework, but I was able to find an iPod adapter that works on my 6CD changer head unit.

Quick Reply: Android Radios...Is There One That Fits Without Trimming The Dash?