1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Hillbilly Stretch-Limo (my 6-door Superduty project)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 07:53 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Prayers for your brother from someone who recently defeated the cancer monster.

The limo looks great. When is the inaugural road trip?

Old 01-30-2018, 08:36 AM
BioBurner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the registration done yesterday! It was surprisingly easy! The DMV people weren't interested in any story about my lame pickup, they just wanted their money. I wish every government interaction could go that smoothly!

Old 01-30-2018, 08:51 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BioBurner
I got the registration done yesterday! It was surprisingly easy! The DMV people weren't interested in any story about my lame pickup, they just wanted their money. I wish every government interaction could go that smoothly!
Glad to hear. Have you made the headliner yet? I tried searching the thread and did not find a post about how you made it if it is already done.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:38 AM
BioBurner
Elder User
I haven't made it to the headliner yet. I plan on making it out of 2 crew cab headliners, one for the sunroof front half, one for the regular back half. I need to remove the rear glass to fit them in. I'll trim the back few inches off the front liner, and the front few off the back liner. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do at the seam, maybe fiberglass. But I'm going to re-skin the whole assembly with one piece of matching material when I'm done joining them. The interior bits have had to wait on the drivetrain.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:55 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BioBurner
I haven't made it to the headliner yet. I plan on making it out of 2 crew cab headliners, one for the sunroof front half, one for the regular back half. I need to remove the rear glass to fit them in. I'll trim the back few inches off the front liner, and the front few off the back liner. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do at the seam, maybe fiberglass. But I'm going to re-skin the whole assembly with one piece of matching material when I'm done joining them. The interior bits have had to wait on the drivetrain.

Thanks. Perfect explanation. I am looking to add a seam to mine as I need to replace since it is falling apart. I really do not feel like removing my flatbed and rear window so I might make it 2 piece to get it in and out the door. I know it would not be perfect but it would be better than now. it is hanging down ad dirty from all the years as a work truck.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:19 PM
Green Power
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BioBurner, sorry to hear about your brother, I’m sure he enjoyed the ride in super duper!!!

Old 01-30-2018, 07:33 PM
Wvdieselcrawler
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
Thanks. Perfect explanation. I am looking to add a seam to mine as I need to replace since it is falling apart. I really do not feel like removing my flatbed and rear window so I might make it 2 piece to get it in and out the door. I know it would not be perfect but it would be better than now. it is hanging down ad dirty from all the years as a work truck.
A standard crew cab head liner can be removed without taking out the back glass... I took one out the back door, but I had the seats removed. I had to force it a little, but no damage.

The one I put in my extended crew cab project will end up with 2 seams due to the overhead console hole in the crew cab liner, that won't be going back in my project.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:22 PM
BioBurner
Elder User
Originally Posted by Wvdieselcrawler
A standard crew cab head liner can be removed without taking out the back glass... I took one out the back door, but I had the seats removed. I had to force it a little, but no damage.
That's good knowledge! I'm taking out the middle row seat anyway to swap in the bucket seats, so I'll give it a try. I'd rather not have to remove the glass again!

Old 01-31-2018, 07:21 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Registration complete. Man you are getting close.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:07 AM
BioBurner
Elder User
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406
Registration complete. Man you are getting close.
The oldest daughter and I drove it to the gas station last night. I didn't have any turn signals! I poked around and found that fuse #27 was popped. I replaced it and now I'm back in business baby!

Edit to add: I also noticed that the "Auto" down function on the driver window wasn't working. Replacing fuse 27 restored auto down.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:16 PM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Damn that fuse #27. At least you know where to start looking for for electrical gremlins.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:23 AM
BioBurner
Elder User
Bloke and I verified that the sunroof was working in preparation to install the headliner (It wasn't!) We swapped it out for one of the spare sunroofs we have. It was broken too! So we swapped in the 3rd sunroof and got lucky this time! That's right, I have 2 spare sunroofs sitting in my backyard junkyard! After verifying correct sunroof function, Phinny and I pulled the middle row seat out, in preparation to both install the headliners and to install the bucket seats. We were able to fit the headliners in through the middle door. I had to smash them a bit, so I wouldn't recommend this method for anyone trying to preserve their headliner. I'd recommend pulling the back window out. I'm going to recover my headliners, so I'm not worried about a little smashing. I got the front headliner in and started installing the A-pillars and grab handles, then I realized I haven't ran new drain hoses for the sunroof! D'Oh!

Old 02-01-2018, 06:36 PM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Dang, that's a lot of headliner. You kinda take it for granted sitting under it all the time. To see it out like that...dang!

Old 02-02-2018, 07:32 AM
BioBurner
Elder User
I'm stuck with a head-scratcher. I've got quite a few features in the cab that don't function. The fuel gauge, the seat heaters, the dome lights (they work when you turn them in manually, or when you shut the key off, just not when you open the doors), the headlights in auto, and the reverse sensors. I'm thinking my likely culprit is the gauge cluster. I'm using the cluster out of the F550 (XL trim package), not the cluster that came with the cab (Lariat trim.) I'm going to try to swap clusters and see if those functions come alive.

Does the cluster control that stuff, or do they live somewhere else?

Old 02-04-2018, 11:51 AM
BioBurner
Elder User
I swapped the instrument cluster to the lariat one. When I run the self diagnose function, it reports back "autolamp delay error" and "auto lock data error". When I turn the key off, the radio status stays running for about 10 minutes, and the window switches still work for the same time. I did notice that the info center thinks all doors are closed no matter if they are open or closed. I'm stumped!

Quick Reply: The Hillbilly Stretch-Limo (my 6-door Superduty project)