Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The continuing mystery of my 1996 F-250 PS Diesel XLT ext. cab

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 09:05 AM
flylooper
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I crossed posted this thread to the Oregon Region and was advised I might post here as well. Any information you fellows can give me would be appreciated.

VIN# 1FTHX26FXTEA42804

Originally Posted by flylooper

So, I've been defrauded by some clown in California who sold me a truck with a clear CA title but which was really declared a loss in Oregon. Long story about how they do it, but they can, much to my chagrin! In the end, it's "a horse on me," for sure.

One of the things I've discovered besides massive front end problems, is that someone put a 5-manual tranny in this truck, which was originally built with an automatic ZF35-42 5-spd or possibly a Ford 3.03 3-spd Auto.

Does anyone know what the correct axle ratio is for the 5 spd tranny for the year 1996? And also what the door sticker tranny code would be for trucks built with the manual tranny? I don't know if there was more than one 5-speed manual tranny for this truck in 1996, but I assume just one.

The other issue is that I'm looking for a complete 4WD front end assembly for this truck (Which is why I'm posting in the Oregon section, because if anyone knows of one I can get my hands on, I will go anywhere in the state to pick it up.) The driver side axle tube on the existing one is bent and evidently affecting alignment, so I'm thinking about just replacing the whole front end out of a good truck.

Does anyone know how many model years' front ends I can use for my truck?

Of course, there's the issue of matching the front and rear axle ratios but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I just need a front end first.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:30 AM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Just my $0.02 USD worth

If any of this transaction occurred across state lines, I'm sure the California DMV and some other state/federal entities would get involved in helping rectify this issue.

If it were me, I would be calling every agency I could to get this joker. Selling a vehicle purported to be good but with a salvage title is fraud and punishable. IF the VIN on the paperwork doesn't match the cab VIN on the dash, that's a felony, if I remember right.

BTW, trans code is on the door jamb sticker along with the axle code.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:40 AM
flylooper
Freshman User
Originally Posted by raystankewitz
If any of this transaction occurred across state lines, I'm sure the California DMV and some other state/federal entities would get involved in helping rectify this issue.

If it were me, I would be calling every agency I could to get this joker. Selling a vehicle purported to be good but with a salvage title is fraud and punishable. IF the VIN on the paperwork doesn't match the cab VIN on the dash, that's a felony, if I remember right.

BTW, trans code is on the door jamb sticker along with the axle code.
I've already talked to my lawyer. It's an interstate problem. He says it would be very hard to prove intent in a court. The VINs match. Considering the number of dollars involved in the transaction ($7500), it's senseless to throw good money after bad.

Besides, I should have Carfaxed the damned truck before I bought it. I didn't based on the fact that the CA title was clean. (Let that be a lesson to everyone here. Clean titles are not necessarily clean.)

What the hell did I know? I'm just a dumb old retiree.

Anyway, my lawyer said, "Look if you like the truck, just fix it. At least at the end you'll have a truck that you know runs right! Sounds reasonable to me. I've already got all new ball joints and tie rods in it.

So, I still need the correct axle ratios for a 5-speed manual transmission.
Oh, yeah, and a new front end.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:55 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry for your troubles ... I am surprised this was able to happen, California and Oregon are communicative states!

Unfortunately there are a lot of scum bags in this world and not enough firing squads, hangmen or lethal injections ... Exactly what they deserve!

As for gear ratio's behind a ZF5-42 (or 47), they came with several, most common is 4.10's.

And if my memory serves correct,
Trans code for ZF5 is C
Axle code for 4.10 is 45.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 07-07-2016, 02:33 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,348 Likes on 1,065 Posts
The second paragraph in you own quote doesn't make sense to me. You say that someone swapped in a 5 speed in a truck that originally had an automatic ZF 5 speed or a Ford 3.03 3 speed auto. Huh? The Ford 3.03 trans is not an automatic transmission and neither is the ZF. The 3.03 was used back in the 60's and 70's and would not have lasted very long behind that Diesel engine if you even find a bell housing to fit it to the engine bolt pattern.

As far as the axle ratio it could be a couple different ones. Look on the driver's side "B" pillar for the sticker that says what the trim and drivetrain code are. Then do a search to decode them.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:09 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There is no "correct" axle ratio for the ZF5. You either got 3:55 or 4:10 from the factory, that's it. You will have to look at the tag on the rear axle to know as the door code won't necessarily match the axle of things have been swapped out...

Also, u can't just pull out the auto and swap in a 5 speed, there is other things specific to each trans that need to be done as well like different PCM, the wiring harness from the trans to the PCM, the steering column has to be changed, the pedal assembly has to be changed, the gear indicator in the dash has to be changed..... It's quite the process, to do it right...

FWIW I live in MN, and own a jetta that my friend crashed and totaled, he bought it back, I bought it from him, fixed it and when I got the new title back it's clean, DOES NOT say salvage on it. I think once a salvage vehicle is fixed and sold is considered clean.

Why the hate for a salvage title anyway, I've always thought they were cheap vehicles that i knew the history of once I fixed them.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:38 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
the 5 speeds that came in these trucks were ZF5s, 87-95 were the 42s model, the 96/97 were the 47s model

4.10 and 3.55 were the only 2 gearing options

Old 07-07-2016, 04:48 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess two is less than several ... I'm part human, I make mistakes!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 07-07-2016, 04:52 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 444dieselrod
There is no "correct" axle ratio for the ZF5. You either got 3:55 or 4:10 from the factory, that's it. You will have to look at the tag on the rear axle to know as the door code won't necessarily match the axle of things have been swapped out...

Also, u can't just pull out the auto and swap in a 5 speed, there is other things specific to each trans that need to be done as well like different PCM, the wiring harness from the trans to the PCM, the steering column has to be changed, the pedal assembly has to be changed, the gear indicator in the dash has to be changed..... It's quite the process, to do it right...

FWIW I live in MN, and own a jetta that my friend crashed and totaled, he bought it back, I bought it from him, fixed it and when I got the new title back it's clean, DOES NOT say salvage on it. I think once a salvage vehicle is fixed and sold is considered clean.

Why the hate for a salvage title anyway, I've always thought they were cheap vehicles that i knew the history of once I fixed them.
Selling a salvage truck as clean raises the value of the truck, whereas if he knew it was salvaged, it could easily be argued down

Old 07-07-2016, 06:24 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DieselCamper
Selling a salvage truck as clean raises the value of the truck, whereas if he knew it was salvaged, it could easily be argued down
My point was it may have had a salvage in OR, but once transfered to CA it was clean.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:28 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 444dieselrod
My point was it may have had a salvage in OR, but once transfered to CA it was clean.
No I understand, but a truck that had a salvage title anywhere should have the value of a salvage truck, not a clean one.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:43 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
No I understand, but a truck that had a salvage title anywhere should have the value of a salvage truck, not a clean one.
not if the "Rebuilt" title vehicle is in better shape than a "clear" title vehicle

I would MUCH RATHER have a R title vehicle that was rebuilt correctly than some BEAT up POS that has a clean title. And I will also pay for for said R title vehicle as well

Old 07-08-2016, 12:53 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
not if the "Rebuilt" title vehicle is in better shape than a "clear" title vehicle

I would MUCH RATHER have a R title vehicle that was rebuilt correctly than some BEAT up POS that has a clean title. And I will also pay for for said R title vehicle as well
Touché, Brad.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:59 PM
flylooper
Freshman User
Touché, Brad.
That's a very valid point, but you have to weigh the cost of repairing in time and parts, against spending additional money to get a truck that was taken good care of.

In my case, I haven't that luxury. I have a truck that needs a front end. If you or anyone else knows of one in the Northwest, or for that matter a complete wreck with a good front on it, let me know. I'm interested!!

One other thing: if you buy a salvaged titled/reconstructed truck, any service bulletins and recalls are completely invalid. In the eyes of the manufacturer, that truck no longer exists!

Old 08-09-2016, 06:25 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by flylooper
...One other thing: if you buy a salvaged titled/reconstructed truck, any service bulletins and recalls are completely invalid. In the eyes of the manufacturer, that truck no longer exists!
Service bulletins... hmmmm, don't know.

Recalls are forever. Ford looks at registrations by state. If its registered & on the rolls, it (the current owner) gets a notice. That's federal law.

Quick Reply: The continuing mystery of my 1996 F-250 PS Diesel XLT ext. cab