Stock question: color of door hinges - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Stock question: color of door hinges

Old 07-05-2016, 10:21 PM
Post Fiend

abe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant future
Stock question: color of door hinges

Does anyone know the original color of the door hinges on 53-56 trucks? Were they body color or black or silver or not painted?

Mine were painted Meadow Green 17 years ago when I painted the truck and I don't remember what they were before that. The hinges on my 55 which is unmolested are Meadow green. But this truck was repainted about 4 years ago.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:32 PM
Postmaster

bigwin56f100 has much to be proud ofbigwin56f100 has much to be proud ofbigwin56f100 has much to be proud ofbigwin56f100 has much to be proud ofbigwin56f100 has much to be proud ofbigwin56f100 has much to be proud ofbigwin56f100 has much to be proud ofbigwin56f100 has much to be proud ofbigwin56f100 has much to be proud ofbigwin56f100 has much to be proud of
body color
Old 07-05-2016, 10:41 PM
Posting Guru

pineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud of
They should have made them the color of blood, knuckle skin, heat torch charcoal and broken drill bits to make it easier to restore them after trying to remove worn out pins.

Tom

Old 07-05-2016, 10:47 PM
Post Fiend

abe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineconeford View Post
They should have made them the color of blood, knuckle skin, heat torch charcoal and broken drill bits to make it easier to restore them after trying to remove worn out pins.

Tom

Now Tom, we are talking about the new state of the art 53-56 trucks with the advanced swing away door hinges not the outdated 48-52 trucks with the hinge pins! We dont need no stinkin' pins!
Old 07-06-2016, 12:03 AM
Posting Guru

toby tough has a good reputation on FTE.toby tough has a good reputation on FTE.toby tough has a good reputation on FTE.
You know what they say... If it ain't got pins...it's just another old truck. I guess I'm pro-monkey. But I do wish mine didn't. Been fighting them off and on for 2 days. They're winning so far.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:57 AM
Post Fiend

CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
From the looks of the hinges on many of the "unmolested" trucks that I have worked on, the cabs were painted with the doors installed. Paint patterns on the hinges show that to be the case. I paint all of mine off the truck with the same color as the truck...but then again I am not a purist.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:00 PM
Still Learnin'

petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby tough View Post
You know what they say... If it ain't got pins...it's just another old truck. I guess I'm pro-monkey. But I do wish mine didn't. Been fighting them off and on for 2 days. They're winning so far.
My sympathies Toby. They do come out . . . eventually. But only after you have used every tool in your tool box.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:18 PM
Posting Guru

toby tough has a good reputation on FTE.toby tough has a good reputation on FTE.toby tough has a good reputation on FTE.
Thanks Pete. I see you took the whole thing off. Probably a lot easier. What do you attach the cab side back on with? Had to drill a couple screws out too to get the doors off.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:40 AM
Still Learnin'

petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
I bought the same type bolts but with allen heads instead of phillips heads. They are a lot easier to take out and put back securely. I also used anti-sieze compound on the threads. Just do a Google search on "countersunk allen head bolt".

Here is one source:
https://www.zoro.com/value-brand-shc...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

I used a source near me Metro Bolt and Fastener in Redford, MI.

I had the same problem that you did (my truck came from MN too). I had to drill out a couple bolts. My problem was that the tapping plates were in terrible condition. The attaching bracket on the passenger side was completely gone. Luckily when I opened the area up to install the patch panel it made it much easier to repair. I'm still not happy with the fragile condition of the tapping plates but I have not been able to find a source for them. I used nylok self locking nuts on the two holes that I had to drill out. I have access to a CNC plasma cutter so I may make a couple new plates when I have time.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:02 PM
Senior User

bhalemail has a good reputation on FTE.bhalemail has a good reputation on FTE.
Door hinge backing plates

My brother can make them. He made a set for me and threaded the perfectly.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:24 PM
Posting Guru

Those should be easy enough to make with a CNC. Getting the holes in the right spot would be my worry. I think we hijacked Abe's thread. Sorry Abe.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:55 PM
Post Fiend

I was thinking you 48-52 guys did take this in a new direction! But that's OK. It sounds like you have helped each other out.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:01 PM
Still Learnin'

Sorry abe.

If it is any help to your original question you can see from my picture in post #7 that the hinges were painted the truck's original color, sea island green, while the hinges were mounted on the truck. You can tell as there is no paint on the part of the hinge half that fits in the pillar pocket. My truck was built late in the 1950 production run.