Hiccuping under load

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 08:36 PM
kthemurphy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiccuping under load

96 f250 7.3 ps 5spd
My pickup is hiccuping under load and sometimes at idle. Ive already double checked my chip is firmly installed and replaced the cps and ICP sensor. But now I'm at a loss. Anybody have any experience with hiccups? At least she idles like butter with a new cam sensor 😂

Edit: happens after warming up to running temperature.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:53 PM
clean '97
Senior User
might be your tps

Old 07-06-2016, 07:37 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
IPR might be sticking.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:02 AM
f100today
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
My 97 did the same thing but never at idle. It was the crappy Dorman TPS that I had on there. Found a factory ford TPS and it ran like new.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:56 AM
ZachH
Senior User
Mine has been having the same problem, but it's only at high rpm (2800+) it only happens when I'm cruising over 75 or reving it high before shifting. It did improve when I replaced the uvch (had a couple of melted wires). You might check that and see if it helps anything.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:15 PM
kmjone00
Mountain Pass
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
I had an issue with mine I would have described as mild stuttering or "hiccupping." Not sure it's the same or even similar to yours but thought I would post a quick description and what seems to have fixed it in case it helps you or anyone else with a similar issue.

You mentioned "after warming up to running temperature." Mine would stutter a little under mild acceleration while warming up. So not cold, but not full operating temp yet, while under mild acceleration. Specifically oil temp between 100 and 130 degrees. Mine is stock, mostly. Healthy injectors, UVCHs, healthy fuel and oil pumps, etc, no codes, passing diagnostic checks. I was intrigued with the way it was only during warm-up, so tried unplugging my stock EBPV on a whim. That eliminated my issue. I would not have suspected it as it did not coincide with cold weather. I ran with the EBPV unplugged during winter because I don't really need it, plugged back up once weather warmed back up thinking conditions would not force it to actuate. Nevertheless, issue has not recurred since unplugging. Stopped immediately after unplugging.

There are lots of folks here with lots more knowledge on these engines, so pay attention to other replies with more troubleshooting tips. Good luck.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:21 AM
ZachH
Senior User
Good point kmjone00, I should clarify what I am describing as a "hiccup". Mine is like the engine cuts out for a split second cruising down the road, now it is very random sometimes it won't do it at all but before I did the uvch it was pretty consistent anytime I went over 70 mph... (Now most of the time it won't do it unless I'm going over 75).

Old 07-07-2016, 09:47 AM
f100today
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
See if your cruise control will stay engaged. With my bad TPS, it would cut out. With the good TPS it works fine.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:13 PM
JCart
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
On my 96 when it got up in miles 220k miles plus, it would quit for a millisecond when at op temp and/or pulling hard. In the end I think it was the cam walking just a little bit and in doing so the tolerance for the CPS would go out of range. What I did at the time was put the CPS in a small lathe and turn down the thickness so it would fit into the engine cover a smidge more... Problem solved. With newer versions of the CPS, they are supposed to have a broader range I was led to believe so this might not help but at least it's food for thought. I now the early PS engines had front cover issues in castings as international had a shim kit for the CPS which spaced it further away from the timing wheel.

j

Old 07-07-2016, 10:41 PM
kthemurphy
New User
Dang yall, thanks for your quick replies!
Originally Posted by clean '97
might be your tps
while it was idling funny today, i unplugged both the tps and ivs. nothing changed, so i assume both are functioning correctly.

Originally Posted by kmjone00
I was intrigued with the way it was only during warm-up, so tried unplugging my stock EBPV on a whim. That eliminated my issue.
EBPV is already cut and wired to a switch

Originally Posted by f100today
See if your cruise control will stay engaged. With my bad TPS, it would cut out. With the good TPS it works fine.
The cruise hasnt worked on the pickup since before i bought it. Possible because the speedo ticks back and forth.

The engine was just torn down and resealed. (bearings and bores look like a 100K engine!) that being said I suppose it could be a faulty UVCH. but the last time one went out it felt like it shut off a bank of injectors, rather than a miss or hiccup.

Another thing i noticed when i tried to read the codes (im not currently get a cel, but I know that the cut EBPV will through a code but no light.) at O'Reillys and Napa, when they hooked up the code reader with the engine running, the engine would shake and shutter and damn near shut off it i didnt put my foot the floor, and lose the connection between the reader. It would not read codes with key on engine off.
PS: When the engine was resealed, I put a new fuel pump in.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:16 PM
91 Dually
Elder User

Wiring going to IPR was causing this in my truck

Old 07-12-2016, 09:12 PM
kthemurphy
New User
Alright everyone, here's an update:
Still having issues, pretty consistent with being warmed up and to operating temp. I've downloaded Torque Pro and got my OBD2 dongle. (After waiting for amazon over the weekend &#128517 and I'm currently monitoring my hpop (icp), ipr duty %, injection pulse width, and some other neato things.
What are the normal ranges for the 3? Thanks all!

Old 07-12-2016, 10:25 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by kthemurphy
Alright everyone, here's an update:
Still having issues, pretty consistent with being warmed up and to operating temp. I've downloaded Torque Pro and got my OBD2 dongle. (After waiting for amazon over the weekend &#128517 and I'm currently monitoring my hpop (icp), ipr duty %, injection pulse width, and some other neato things.
What are the normal ranges for the 3? Thanks all!

Ipr duty less than 14 at idle.
Hoop will vary under load.
Pulse be quick at idle.

There is a free PC app if you got a laptop with Bluetooth.

I just hooked up mine tonight and played a bit with it. Still need to figure out some stuff but so far it's looking nice.

Tugly a user here has some special pid stuff you can monitor some things better.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:04 AM
kthemurphy
New User
Originally Posted by knottyrope
Ipr duty less than 14 at idle.
Mine is at around 10 @ idle. Records show it dropped to about 7, though, I'm not sure when. I've seen it hit 22% under load while cold to get a semi-baseline going before I warm it up and make it hiccup.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:29 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
mine today was at 11 idle to 40 WOT on highway this morning

Quick Reply: Hiccuping under load