1971 New Wiring Harness, MSD

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 08:55 AM
maclif
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1971 New Wiring Harness, MSD

G'Morning -

I have a 1971 F-100 that has a 352 FE transplant and MSD 6AL ignition put in by a previous owner. I've reworked the engine, transmission and a variety of other parts of the pickup but finally had one too many frayed wires to handle.

The old, patched, hacked, taped, twisted and frayed wiring harness came out. I am replacing it with a 14-circuit Ford wiring harness by KwikWire.

14 Circuit Ford Wire Harness - KwikWire.com | Electrify Your Ride

I'm sure other things will unfold, but I am really stumped by a couple of things at the moment.

I have a wiring diagram of the pickup, but it doesn't label colors. What do you guys use for an accurate resource for how the electrics of the vehicle are laid out?

Ignition switch:
-The harness came with three diagrams, none that match the plug on the switch. The wiring that was on the switch was such a mess of cut wires and twisted add-ons I don't really consider it a source of any accuracy. I have done multiple tests, and I can only get power when I get the key to the "start" position. I cannot get power on the "Accessory" or "On" position. Any wiring clues to help there?

"I" on the starter relay

The 6AL is plugged into the Kwikwire designed for the positive coil, which looks like the signal it needs to properly work (plus it's power and ground wired directly to the battery). On the previous wiring, there was a wire tapped to the "I" on the starter relay. But I'm not sure if something needs to be wired there now. Do I need to run a wire from the "I" on the starter relay to the red (hooked to keyed power) line on the MSD for it to work properly?

Thanks in advance - I blew a good chunk of the weekend testing leads and looking at various diagrams and I'm still scratching my head on these two.

-Clif

Old 07-05-2016, 09:14 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Here ya go hope this helps you as much as it's helped me.
Orich

Old 07-05-2016, 09:24 AM
maclif
Freshman User
That's beautiful. Thank you.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:30 AM
maclif
Freshman User
Using a couple diagnostic tools I was able to get the ignition switch wired up last night as well as some additional wiring. ACC, ON and START all do what I would expect them to do - except it still doesn't start.

I think the MSD box (6AL) has been damaged but want to talk through some diagnostic codes with MSD tech support today.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:56 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Never heard of KwikWire before. Very nice looking harnesses.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:27 PM
maclif
Freshman User
I've been happy with the harness itself. Heavy gauge wire, all wires color coded and labelled, nice fusebox and relays. I like there is a coil interrupt switch on the box itself. I was planning on installing one anyway.

Their diagrams of Ford parts is a bit hit and miss. And very few of the Ford-specific connectors work on my pickup. But the kit is designed for any pre-1979 Ford. So, I can't really complain there, as who knows how many different switches and connector Ford has used.

The only fault I've found so far is there was supposed to be an electric choke cord built into the harness. But either it's not in there, or it was wrapped with the wrong set of wires.

But again, considering all the things I've been doing to my pickup - the harness has been the least of my concerns.