1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Hybrids vs Stage 1s

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 10:46 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Before you mod make sure the truck is running 100% correctly.

For mpgs make sure your alignment is correct, brakes aren't dragging, tire pressure is correct and drive like you don't have any brakes.

If you see mpg gain from new injectors it's because your old ones are worn.

With it running correctly you should be around 16+-
Towing 7-10mpg

Old 07-01-2016, 11:04 AM
ZachH
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordpride
Before you mod make sure the truck is running 100% correctly.

For mpgs make sure your alignment is correct, brakes aren't dragging, tire pressure is correct and drive like you don't have any brakes.

If you see mpg gain from new injectors it's because your old ones are worn.

With it running correctly you should be around 16+-
Towing 7-10mpg
I have the parts on order to fix all of my leaks, besides that it runs good as far as I can tell besides having one will plug stu besides that it runs good as far as I can tell besides having one bad glowplug that neither I nor a mechanic could get out, they even tried compression and it still wouldn't pop out. The only thing besides that that I am aware of that might be an issue is a decent puff of white followed by black smoke on cold start in the mornings... Not sure what would cause that.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:15 AM
ZachH
Senior User
I keep the tires fully inflated, it doesn't really walk so I think the alignment is good, and it doesn't feel like the brakes are dragging... How can I check that?

Old 07-01-2016, 11:39 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm happy with my 3.55s but I'm only pulling 8 maybe 9k. I can still hit hills up to 9% and maintain 60 mph in fourth gear. However if the trailer was heavier I'd probably opt for better gears. I got my broken glow plug out by using lots of pb blaster and taping the electrode down with a punch to break it free then spinning it over by hand. All the other glow plugs were out already. That could be the cause of your puff of white on a cold start as well

Old 07-01-2016, 01:23 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
With the broken gp one of two things will happen if you keep running it.
1. It'll blow out.
2. Get sucked into the engine.

Mix atf and aceton and dump down the go hole. Lightly tap on it with a hammer the grab it with vice grips and slowly twist and pull.
Keep repeating till gp comes out.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:32 PM
ZachH
Senior User
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
I'm happy with my 3.55s but I'm only pulling 8 maybe 9k. I can still hit hills up to 9% and maintain 60 mph in fourth gear. However if the trailer was heavier I'd probably opt for better gears. I got my broken glow plug out by using lots of pb blaster and taping the electrode down with a punch to break it free then spinning it over by hand. All the other glow plugs were out already. That could be the cause of your puff of white on a cold start as well
Thanks for the info on towing. What mpg do you get unloaded with your setup?
When I replaced my GPs I spent about 6 hours on it... 4 hours trying to get that one glowplug out, just ended up screwing it back in. Took it to the mechanic last month for a rough-running issue (ended up being the uvch that I had in my tool box ready to go on but hadn't gotten to it yet. Left them with him to put on since he was going to have it apart (he thought it sounded like a bad lifter) well ended up that was the whole problem and cost me an extra $360 for a 4 hour job that I could have done myself... Ok end of rabbit trail) and they said that they would replace all of the glowplugs with Motorcraft GPs just for the cost of the parts ( I thought it was a pretty good deal), well turns out they couldn't get it out either, they broke it off and tried to use compression... It still wouldn't come out, he said that he thinks it's fused to the head. So long story short I think it's pretty stuck. I'm not too comfortable with pulling the head right now and don't have the money to pay them to.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:32 PM
ZachH
Senior User
Sorry for the long, hard to follow reply. I just kinda dumped the whole story.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:43 PM
ZachH
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordpride
With the broken gp one of two things will happen if you keep running it.
1. It'll blow out.
2. Get sucked into the engine.

Mix atf and aceton and dump down the go hole. Lightly tap on it with a hammer the grab it with vice grips and slowly twist and pull.
Keep repeating till gp comes out.
From what my mechanic said it sounds like the tip of the gp is broken off and fused to the head... So I guess the only way to get it out is to pull the head and drill it out?

Old 07-01-2016, 08:44 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
If he broke the electrode off the tip then yes the head has to come off or you can gamble and keep driving it. If it goes in the engine it's going to destroy it.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:16 PM
ZachH
Senior User
So far I've driven it about 3,500 miles since I found it and 400 since he broke it off... He tried turning it over and tried to pop it out using compression with the valve cover off and gp removed. Do you think it'll be ok? It's had a lot of pressure applied to it, I wouldn't think it would pop out? Sorry for my ignorance but when you say the electrode which part are you talking about? Half of the glowplug is broken off in the head, I broke the tip that the wire slides on to off several months ago.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:36 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Long skinny part is the electrode
Fat part at the end is the tip.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:02 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hybrids vs Stage 1s

If you look at the pic that Mike posted the tip is the back end of the long skinny piece. Yours is probably swollen which is why you can't get it out. When you have the means to pull the head or want to try gambling pull all the glow plugs and spray either pb blaster or the atf acetone mix in the stuck gp hole, tap the electrode down into the cylinder ( like barely enough to see it move) 1/8 " or so and then turn the motor over by hand to try to pop it out. Repeat until the gp pops or drops. I spun mine slowly till I hit the compression stroke the pulled hard and poof the gp hit the ceiling.

I'm not 100% sure on mpg's. I've checked and gotten 19 but I drive fast

Old 07-02-2016, 11:26 AM
ZachH
Senior User
Ok, thanks! Hopefully not this coming week but the following after all of the parts come in I'll be able to get everything installed/rebuilt. Any tips on HPOP replacement or turbo rebuild? I already know getting the turbo out is going to be a pain... Hopefully this job won't end up like the last two... (6 hours on GPs and 10 hours on the lift pump (a whole nother story))

Old 07-02-2016, 11:36 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Old 07-02-2016, 01:10 PM
ZachH
Senior User
I think I can handle that... Not near as bad as the fuel supply lines to the back of the heads or trying to get the banjo bolt to thread for three hours straight with the turbo on!

Quick Reply: Hybrids vs Stage 1s