2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

No Sliding Rear Window?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 01:46 PM
ben97
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Sliding Rear Window?

So I've noticed that there is no sliding rear window option on the 2017 regular cab trucks. Anybody know if this is true or if its just not on the website?
If so does anybody know how long till they quit building 2016's? I want a red regular cab with 4:30 gears so finding one on a lot is not an option..

Old 06-28-2016, 05:50 PM
azeemtn
New User
My local dealer s no longer doing orders for '16's based on what they told me..

Old 06-28-2016, 07:55 PM
05yuk
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I can tell 7/3/16 is the final day for 2016's to be built. Doubt you will be able to get one. This date could have changed slightly though.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:46 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2016 ordering ended in April. I can't build a regular cab with a power slider either. Maybe it truly is not available on a reg cab. Ford doesn't offer a manual slider anymore and the new window is pretty small and just a cutout of the entire back window. I would have got a manual one of the old style that opened down to the frame if it were an option. I don't really care for the new style. They are making it a real PITA to reach the cooler anymore.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:00 PM
LCR
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
May have something to do with behind the seat space and how the window motor mounts.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:39 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
The "power" slider was never available on regular cabs anyway, I don't think. The idea was to be able to get some extra ventilation by opening the slider even when it was out of reach in an extended or crew cab truck.

I don't think the opening size is much different. Before, the slider section had thick visible framing above and below the actual opening part. Now, the slider section is just glass behind glass with no visible framing. The visible framing on the old trucks made the opening appear larger than maybe it was.

I dislike the new sideways switch. It is intuitive (push switch right, window goes right, pull switch left, window goes left) but the sideways switch feels less comfortable to operate. In fact, the location and feel of the power window switches seem less comfortable as well. I'm taking this experience from our 2016 F-150, but should be the same in the new Super Duty.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:00 AM
ben97
Senior User
I wasn't wanting to spend the extra money for the power window but I would if that was the only option, seems dumb to not offer any kind of sliding window on a single cab truck...

Old 06-29-2016, 08:18 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ben97
I wasn't wanting to spend the extra money for the power window but I would if that was the only option, seems dumb to not offer any kind of sliding window on a single cab truck...
Gotcha. I agree - but due to new CAFE rules, the big three are trying to gradually eliminate regular cab trucks. Its a shame, because they work great for some people, and are less expensive. I've always found it a bit annoying you cannot get them as fancy as some extended / crew cab models as well. If you want it, why not?

Old 06-29-2016, 08:28 AM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
There's a good chance I will end up getting an aftermarket non-power slider at some point. I used to always get sliders, I just prefer the older manual style. I found one for the F150 so I'm sure one will become available for SD:
C.R. Laurence Automotive Debuts All-New Sliders for Ford's Progressive Aluminum Body 2015 F-150

Old 06-29-2016, 08:45 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by RainDesert
There's a good chance I will end up getting an aftermarket non-power slider at some point. I used to always get sliders, I just prefer the older manual style. I found one for the F150 so I'm sure one will become available for SD:
C.R. Laurence Automotive Debuts All-New Sliders for Ford's Progressive Aluminum Body 2015 F-150
Pretty interesting find - in the picture, it looks pretty nice, too. Looks more like the traditional design we have now, rather than the "porthole" on the new F-150.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:17 AM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
I decided to email that slider company and already got an email response back:

Hello Mike,

I received a copy of your email regarding your interest in the all new Super Duty rear truck slider.
I do anticipate this product to become available for purchase in October 2016.
I have attached a link to our website with the new Ford F150 rear truck slider this should give you an idea of what the window would look like for the Super Duty, click here.
Appreciate your interest in the C.R. Laurence product feel free to communicate with me any time regarding updates on the product and its release.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:49 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by RainDesert
I decided to email that slider company and already got an email response back:

Hello Mike,

I received a copy of your email regarding your interest in the all new Super Duty rear truck slider.
I do anticipate this product to become available for purchase in October 2016.
I have attached a link to our website with the new Ford F150 rear truck slider this should give you an idea of what the window would look like for the Super Duty, click here.
Appreciate your interest in the C.R. Laurence product feel free to communicate with me any time regarding updates on the product and its release.
The cabs are identical, so it would make sense they already have it available...

The one question is that the bed sides of the Super Duty seem lower than the 150, which seems to make the glass area of the whole rear window larger.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:22 AM
ben97
Senior User
Originally Posted by troverman
Gotcha. I agree - but due to new CAFE rules, the big three are trying to gradually eliminate regular cab trucks. Its a shame, because they work great for some people, and are less expensive. I've always found it a bit annoying you cannot get them as fancy as some extended / crew cab models as well. If you want it, why not?
Ive always liked the looks of a regular cab. Ive been shopping pretty hard for a couple months now and going back and forth between a regualar cab gas and crew cab diesel.
I figure I have two options;
Trade my truck in on a 55K crew cab diesel and have to pay/finance 35k
Buy a new reg cab gas truck for 30k to DD and still have my crew cab duramax to haul the boat/toys around on the weekend if there is more than me and the gf going somewhere.
1st world problems I know...

Old 06-29-2016, 10:46 AM
EightySecond
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the power sliding rear glass go down or to the side?

Old 06-29-2016, 10:56 AM
hollapm
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EightySecond
Does the power sliding rear glass go down or to the side?
To the Side...

I would LOVE for the window to roll down (like the old Bronc's use to or like the Tundra does, even the Nissan who has 60% of the window go down is nice). I've been requesting this feature for years and even looked to see if there is an aftermarket company that does this and have had limited success on companies offering this on newer trucks. - here's a video
power sliding window

Quick Reply: No Sliding Rear Window?