Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Ricon 6 way seat

Old 06-26-2016, 08:38 PM
jeffreyclay
Senior User
jeffreyclay is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ricon 6 way seat

Does anyone have a source for the motors used in Ricon's 6 way seat that won't require a 2nd mortgage? I'm assuming that all three should run smoothly and no unusual noises. My lift motor sounds like a box of rocks, even when run with no load. The part# for the motor and worm drive is PS-1140.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:20 PM
jimbomitch
Senior User
jimbomitch is starting off with a positive reputation.
The swing motor and forward motors are just GM power window motors you can get easy and cheap. The lift motor isn't. I might be able to get a manufacturer part number so you don't have to get go through the dealer and get your wallet vacuumed out.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:22 PM
jimbomitch
Senior User
Also, that lift motor isn't really quiet, they do make some noise. Have you lubed the screw drive?

Old 06-27-2016, 08:36 AM
jeffreyclay
Senior User
Originally Posted by jimbomitch View Post
Also, that lift motor isn't really quiet, they do make some noise. Have you lubed the screw drive?
I did that yesterday. I used a towel and wiped away all remaining lube (not much there) and gave it a good slather of Ford spec chassis grease. Did the same for all other tracks, channels and exposed gears. Is there some type of "end of travel" clutch involved? Mine runs to the end and continues to turn. The "rotate" and "forward/backward" operations reach their end and mechanically stall.
The part # from Ricon must include the entire scissors assembly. $750

Old 06-27-2016, 09:08 AM
jimbomitch
Senior User
I haven't checked that motor part number yet, but I'm pretty sure this is it:

Gearmotor, motion 85150 - Motion Systems

But, I'm not sure if they can be bought through the manufacturer. I should be able to confirm the number today. If you buy it though Ricon, you are correct with that price, I doubt you'd get the scissor assembly with it. That's almost half the cost of a complete new base.

I never use grease on mine because it's a dirt magnet, in fact, I never lube the fore/aft slide because it has Teflon runners. I give the screw drive an occasional coat of spray lube. I have a 93 E150 with the original Ricon base and have only changed the swing and slide motors, never the raise/lower motor. Also replaced a few switches, they can be bought on eBay cheap, and you probably want to keep at least one in stock because when one goes out you're stuck.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:09 PM
jimbomitch
Senior User
I got the numbers off my lift motor:

Part number: 73463
Motor number: PE2433Q

Last edited by jimbomitch; 06-27-2016 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Removed incorrect information
Old 06-28-2016, 10:06 AM
jeffreyclay
Senior User
Jimbomitch, thanks for the research and suggestions. It's criminal what Ricon charges for replacement parts. Do you have a lift on your van? I was wondering what service interval the worm gear assembly might require? I opened the fill plug and a sample showed clear, light weight oil nearly at the plug's level. I think I can leave that alone for now. The motor used reminds me of a Ford starter, minus the solenoid & bendix. Ahh, the joy of continuing education of life.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:59 PM
jimbomitch
Senior User
Good news, You can deal direct with Motion Systems for a replacement actuator, repair and some parts. If you call ask for Danny Wolf.

I do a have a lift, a Braun Swing Away, the best, most reliable, simple and robust lift ever made. They stopped selling them in the US about 15 years ago. Braun made a mistake and made them too good! Couldn't make any money off of repair parts! Other than checking the hydraulic fluid and a squirt of lube here and there I don't touch it.

I assume you have a Ricon lift?

Old 06-28-2016, 03:08 PM
jimbomitch
Senior User
Another thing: don't go according to those part numbers I posted above, I believe that earlier Ricon bases used a totally different actuator, but still supplied by Motion Systems. Best bet is to get the info off the tag on yours.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:43 PM
jimbomitch
Senior User
Here's another tip, have a spare switch on hand, because when one of the three fail there's a good chance of you not being able to transfer, and you'll once again find yourself at the mercy of "The Dealer"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-Amp-Toggle-Switch-Polarity-Reverse-DC-Motor-Control-On-Off-Momentary-/400842294637?hash=item5d5410056dol-On-Off-Momentary-/400842294637?hash=item5d5410056d

These are an exact replacement except they don't have the long toggle bat, which I prefer anyway. Extensions are available at most truck stops if you need the longer type.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:43 AM
jeffreyclay
Senior User
Last night I thought about sharing the sound it makes. I was in the seat for the recording but it makes the same amount of racket with no one on it.

Box 'o' rocks

Old 06-30-2016, 03:35 PM
jimbomitch
Senior User
I'll have listen to it later when I get on my ipad, my laptop is having issues with Youtube. I can tell you it shouldn't sound like a box of rocks though It's probably on its way out. I talked with Danny Wolf at Motion Systems this morning and mentioned that you might be giving him a jingle.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:30 PM
jeffreyclay
Senior User
Good news, You can deal direct with Motion Systems for a replacement actuator, repair and some parts. If you call ask for Danny Wolf.

I do a have a lift, a Braun Swing Away, the best, most reliable, simple and robust lift ever made. They stopped selling them in the US about 15 years ago. Braun made a mistake and made them too good! Couldn't make any money off of repair parts! Other than checking the hydraulic fluid and a squirt of lube here and there I don't touch it.

I assume you have a Ricon lift?
Good news! I called Danny at Motion Systems and he thought they'd be able to support it with a flat rate rebuild. Not much to it, the worm gears and the "Ballnut". This was new to me and I googled it. They're recirculating ball bearings within the "ballnut" to distribute the load and add life. Works a little like a steering box only much smaller.
I appreciate the lead Jimbo. ps, I do have a lift, a Ricon UltraLite. It's driven by what appears to be, a Ford starter motor with wormgear reduction. That feeds #80 chain to deploy or store. Clever system, good for 600lb.

The lift motor from my Ricon R1208 seat.

cut-away view of a ballnut.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:43 AM
jimbomitch
Senior User
Jeffrey, just curious, what's it going to cost for them to reman the unit?

Old 08-02-2016, 06:37 AM
jeffreyclay
Senior User
Jeffrey, just curious, what's it going to cost for them to reman the unit?
They gave me a cost of $125 to go thru the unit. With today's cost of labor and parts I believe they are doing it as a courtesy more than anything. Danny called me yesterday to say the motor/gear drive had arrived and should be on its way back to me later this week. A really fine company with a heart.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ricon 6 way seat

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.