Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Would anyone recomend moving to oaklahoma

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 11:24 AM
Tectron1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would anyone recomend moving to oaklahoma

Ive been giving thought to moving to Ok around the Broken Arrow area. How is it to live there? Are there decent paying jobs there 30-50kYr. Can I buy a decent house that isnt in the hood for 90-100k? I apreciate any comments. Thanks

Steve Stoltz

Old 05-06-2004, 12:24 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Heya Steve,

Well, I for one do like living in Oklahoma. We moved here in '98 from the East Coast, just south of D.C. Great midwest small town feel. We live in Owasso, just 10-15min north of Tulsa. Great little town turning into a big city.

Check out some of these local links for info on the area and people.

Newspapers:
www.tulsaworld.com (Tulsa)
www.oklahoman.com (OKC)

City Websites:
www.cityofowasso.com
www.cityoftulsa.org
www.cityofbrokenarrowok.gov

News Stations:
www.kjrh.com
www.ktul.com
www.kotv.com

Outdoors/Recreation Info:
www.wildlifedepartment.com

As for jobs, it depends on your career field. Having a degree, or many years of experience will help immensely in reaching that pay range. Telecom and electronics is still trying to come back out of the hole. The oil jobs seem to be getting scarce as the larger companies shift their bases to Texas. Manufacturing technical/management jobs seem to be getting more popular and available. The medical or sales fields are doing very well right now.

Broken Arrow is one of the fastest growing cities around Tulsa. They have got a lot to offer. I don't know if you'll find a house in that price range out there unless you look for a smaller one or one that's been there for a decade at least. Now you can find a house in that range in Owasso, or one of the other smaller cities surrounding Tulsa.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2004, 12:38 PM
Tectron1
Senior User
Yes this will help a lot. Thanks!

Old 05-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Tectron1
Senior User
Are there any red flag areas to stay away from? I dont want to seriously look into a comunity and then find out my potential neighbors could possibly make thier living going on the jerry springer show. lol

Old 05-06-2004, 03:54 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
hehehehehe....I like your analogy. Okay, don't take offense to this to any of our members here that live in that area, but I would not recommend living in the North Tulsa area. I don't mean the downtown North Tulsa building district. I mean if you were looking at a map, the North Tulsa area below and to the west of Tulsa International Airport. There seem to be gang related issues, shootings, stabbings, etc. in that area on a weekly basis. And in general, find a location not too close to an apartment complex. I'm sure the other members here will be able to offer more feedback than I have.

If ya wanna check out the crime hotspots or see where registered sex offenders live check this out: http://www.tulsapolice.org/

Old 05-06-2004, 04:23 PM
Tectron1
Senior User
Thanks, I just want to find out as much as I can before I take a drive down there so I dont waste time going to the bad areas.

Old 05-07-2004, 02:23 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Broken Arrow, Jenks, and Bixby (all of S. Tulsa area) are really booming. As a result, housing prices are up in those areas. However, they do have access to "all" of the ammenities. Definitely stay out of N. Tulsa. When you go north out of "gang-land" (along state highway 11), it turns into "dueling banjo" country. Not to mention the flooding problems they have. I'd also avoid areas in Tulsa that are east of US 169 until you get down to about 51st street.

I recommend looking around Owasso (stay East of US 75). It's a great community. Only reason I moved was because I wanted some 'space'. Land north of Owasso in the Collinsville/Oologah area (where I live) is still reasonably priced. The drive down US 169 to Tulsa isn't bad at all!

If you decide to come down, give me a call. I'd be happy to show you some of the area. Just shoot me an e-mail and I'll give you my number.

Old 05-07-2004, 02:39 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Same goes for here, shoot me an email and we can get together and show you around.

I would also recomend the Pryor, Chelsea and Oolagah area, you can still find like for around 1-3k/acre. And crime is not all that bad in these areas. They are though, about 45 min. away from Tulsa, but you have all you shopping here in Claremore which is approx. 20min. away from all of those. The only problem w/ these places, is that you do find a bunch of rednecks, but not the "trashy jerry springer" type.

Old 05-07-2004, 04:04 PM
Tectron1
Senior User
Thanks for the information, Ive bookmarked this for future referance. I would probably be coming twords the end of summer to look around. I kindof like the idea of 1-3k an acre, you would pay three times that for a driveway here in northwest indiana. Its good to have some redneck friends, they have some pretty wild ways of getting things done that most people probably wouldnt think of.

Old 05-07-2004, 09:33 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Tectron1
Thanks for the information, Ive bookmarked this for future referance. I would probably be coming twords the end of summer to look around. I kindof like the idea of 1-3k an acre, you would pay three times that for a driveway here in northwest indiana. Its good to have some redneck friends, they have some pretty wild ways of getting things done that most people probably wouldnt think of.
HA! that's funny. Just let us know if you wanna come into town. Most of us live within' 20 min. of each other, we could all meet at a restraunt or something and then show you around.

Old 05-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Tectron1
Senior User
I'll do that. Thanks

Old 05-09-2004, 09:25 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe we can make Tectron1's visit our first "Northeastern" OK FTE get-together!?!

Old 06-03-2004, 12:45 PM
Oklahoma
Senior User
Kind of a late post but thought you might check back now and then. I hope you move to OK, it is a fantastic state with diverse landscape and good hearted people. In rural areas you can ask anyone for help and get it. I would recommend looking for a place outside any towns/cities and away from home owners associations. It is cheaper to live and you can do what you want to (within reason). Depends on what you are used to though. If you are a town or city person then you will be ok with being told how to live and give them money to do so. I live outside city or town limits. No water, sewer, trash, cable bills. No building permits, etc needed. I have also noticed the more populated (cities) the area is, the less friendly or impersonal as a whole it is. But I was used to country people and small town (~100 people or less) before coming to north central OK. Don't be shy about asking for help or info on your move, someone will always help you. Just remember to do the same when you get here. Kindness is rewarded many fold.

God bless

Old 06-04-2004, 10:06 AM
Tectron1
Senior User
Ive decided cheaper, simpler living is really what Im interested in. A little room for my kids to run around etc. It is definately two income economy where I live and since my wife homeschools we rely quite a bit on Gods economy, lol. I have really liked OK from just what I saw passing through, I guess time will tell.

Steve

Old 06-04-2004, 01:37 PM
Oklahoma
Senior User
Good to hear. Check into the areas homeschool association. We have a really nice one where we live. They have field trips, play groups, etc together for those that want to. Just for more info, we function easily as a one income family of 5 although we make tens of thousands less than most 2 income families. We don't want for anything, have 401K, Roth IRA, Ed IRAs & savings accounts for the kids, etc. The less you need to spend, the less you have to work and less stress. Sounds simple but not a lot of people really understand that until it's too late; kids are grown, health gone,... People work and stress out most their lives for that magical moment of retirement or 'next year' then realize it was all for not.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. OK always needs good people like your family. You will have to learn to say y'all properly. Start practicing!