6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

What's The Best Oil For My 6.0 SD

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 06:36 AM
Canine 582
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Lariat:

You've been a big help, and I thank you. I think I'll try the by-pass on my turck as well. I plan to keep the truck for years "Lord willing"and don't mind the cost of the system.You really should get somthing in return as far as protection. As far as the oil, I may even go with the Mobil --Again the cost isn't what I'm worried about ---it's the service and as it has been said here--A penny wise (you know the rest)....

But what we all need, is for this to continue in regards to what type of service we all are getting from our oils that we use.

Old 10-02-2003, 09:02 AM
Fury
New User
My truck has ~1100 miles. The first tank of fuel (from Flying J), I got 17.91 MPG. Almost all mileage was for my trip to work.

31 miles one-way

4 stop points along trip route
5 low speed directional changes along trip route, also called a turn!
4 speed limit changes along trip route

So I am very very pleased with the mileage thus far.

Old 10-03-2003, 11:45 AM
jfralph
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I notice the "manual" recommends a 5w-30 for winter driving. i.e. cold weather. Here, its gets cold. -40F is not atypical in the winter, and colder is possible. Coldest I remember is -56F.

At these temps, This engine needs all the help it can get. Does anyone have a recommendation or even knowledge of a 5w-30 oil for this engine that meets all requirements?

Old 10-03-2003, 04:19 PM
Lariat
Senior User
jfralph,
The only oil I know that come close is Amsoil, but it IS NOT API licenced. You can cause a warranty isue for yourself using this. I would recomend the Mobil Delvac 1 5W40, especially for your conditions. Delo 400 is also 5W40 synthetic but I believe it is CH-4 not CI-4. How much difference? I don't know. Both give you the low temp pur points you need, well maybe with a little help from the block heater, in your case, and they still offer extreme use protection of the 40 weight oil. Your call. Just passing the info.
Lariat

Old 10-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Canine 582
Freshman User
Larait,
I was looking at the site that showed the "MANY" different oil classifications (API) and noticed that Mobil Delvac comes in 15W40. I live in Alabama and our summers sometimes can climb 98+ for several weeks, and stays in the low 90"s throughout the summer. Our winters may have a total of 12-15 days all season that it would go below 25 degrees. If you were me,and you liking the Mobil oil, would you go with the 15W40 or stay with the 5W40 for year round protection? Also the Mobil oil I'm referring to is the "1300 Super" oil they market,and is this syn. oil? And just one more thing (I don't mean to question you to death) where is the best place (price wise) to buy the Delvac 5W40 in one gal containers.

Last edited by Canine 582; 10-04-2003 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:09 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Lariat,

After reading numerous threads about oil and being interested at a very high level I am getting the sense that many including myself are a bit confused.
I really cannot speak for anyone else…………so better said, I am still confused!

Lariat can you please tell me the standard none synthetic oil you recommend, brand, weight and then the same for synthetic. Then include the oil filter, stock replacement that you have found to be the best. I will be going with oil guard………but need to know your advise on the stock filter element replacement also.

I know this is a bit of a pain and I do appreciate it, I do not need to know where the best place to buy is, every region is different so a little surfing on the web and I’ll find the best prices. In advance, thanks and I know these are only recommendations.

Tim

Last edited by IB Tim; 10-04-2003 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-04-2003, 03:38 PM
Lariat
Senior User
Canine,
First Mobil Delvac comes in both synthetic and dino. As you noticed, there is one that is 15W40, which is plain jane Dino oil. Mobile Delvac 1, which is 5W40 is the synthetic. As for protection, my understanding is that dino oil has come a long way since I used it last, but still does not flow as well as synthetic. IF you are not having trouble with the engine in so far as romp etc. and do not want to do extended drain, save your money and go with the dino. If you are having problems with romp, rolling idle, etc. The synthetic may help resolve this for you. Not every truck is the same, so it may not. Have to try it to see what it likes. I would still go with Used Oil Analysis, periodically, maybe every other oil change jjust to get an idea of what is going on, unless you trade your vehicles every couple of years. I kept my last for 10 years and hope the same from this one, so I go with the synthetics.
Purchasing the delvac 1, well probably the best bet is to find a distributor in the phone book in your area. IT IS NOT Cheap, by any means, and no way can you afford (well maybe you can, dunno) to change it every 7500 miles, which is why I am using a bypass filtration system and analysis. I paid about $19 per gallon at the distributor, which is the cheapest I have found.

Tim,
I have not used any dino oil, in ANYTHING I own in ten years. This includes a deisel tractor, walk behind, weed eater, model ariplains, and have even tried to get my boss to switch my equipment I am responsible for to synthetics at work. That said;

Havoline is supposed to be a good Dino, along with the Chevron Delo. I believe the Mobile Delvac 1300 is also good. Actual experience, NONE. This is al;l from what I read. All are 15W40.

Seeing that you are going with the by-pass filtration system, I still firmly recomend the Mobile Delvac 1, with Used Oil Analysis. You won't be sorry. Chevron Delo 5W40 I believe is onlhy rated CH-4, but should be a good alternative, if you really don't like Mobile. Again. Stay away from Amsoil. Not API licenced. It is a good oil, but not that good to pay the extra high premium that you pay to get it. I know. I did. Which is why I didn't flinch at the price of the Delvac 1. And since this engine has its problems, you need to stay in Fords good graces.

Mark (Oilguard.com) also sells the Racor filter element(OEM supplier to Ford for both the Oil Filter and the Fuel Filters. Good prices, but not the absolute cheapest. Good rates on shipping, so I just purchased there. DO NOT go with an aftermarket AIR OIL OR Fuel filter. Especially from Fram. Do not use a guase or foam filter in place of the factory unit. any amount of dirt getting through these types of filters WILL sandblast your turbos fins. Really not a good thing. These guys are out to sell you a filter, and will sell you a line of crap to do it. Be careful.

God knows, I write to much. Try to be thorough. Good luck to both. Let me know how you make out.
LSD

Old 10-04-2003, 04:54 PM
Colorado-native
Senior User
I'm approaching the first oil change and have been watching this thread with a lot of interest. I went to the Chevron web site yesterday and downloaded the Data sheets for both Delo 400 Multigrade 15W-40 and Delo Synthetic 5W-40. Both are listed as API spec CI-4 and both meet Performance requirement "Ford ESE-M2C153-E". No other Ford performance requirement is listed on either Data sheet, so I assume that either would meet the requirements for the 6.0L.

I live at 5100 feet in North Central Colorado and our winters tend to be mild, so I think I will go with the Delo 400 15W-40 this first time and see if I get any adverse reaction from the injector hydraulic system. I do not want to go to an extended oil change until I'm sure there are no problems with my engine - got to keep the Ford boys without a hint of a reason to try to void the warranty. If I have problems, then I will try to find a local source for the synthetic. The nearest distributor is 50 miles away.

Does anyone know if the oil filter that is supposed to be available from NAPA is the same Racor filter that Ford is apparently using?

Old 10-05-2003, 02:43 AM
Edge540
New User
I've used them all........

Rotella, Delo etc.

For me it's AMSoil.....In my PSD's, My Mercury and my 109 CI V-Twin.

Check it out-
http://www.performanceoiltechnology....ource=overture

Old 10-05-2003, 06:22 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Wow, an AMSoil person, glad it has worked for you.
Have you ever done an oil analysis.

Old 10-05-2003, 07:16 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Thumbs up

This needed a rating at the highest level!

Old 10-05-2003, 10:47 AM
Canine 582
Freshman User
Well now that I think of it, maybe that's a fair way to approach this. My original post was what kind of oil should I use for my 6.0L because I had just purchased our new truck and I will be doing my own oil changes. After hearing from so many different people on the issue and some who really have spent time and effort in researching this, and discovering that there is a real issue in the (oil & 6.0L) due to normal engine performance that we expect -but many have had problems with eng. romp and the like . It's apparant that many just want a oil that our engine can digest and continue to perform with. We all know that many of us have different requirements for our trucks. But due to the nature of the beast and the concerns over this new engine lets just go with what is simple stupid and just works. If money is a issue say so. If the syn. has lived up to it's price say so and why ect. ect.

1. What you have used,and it did cause your truck to perform poorly and you changed to another oil and the problem ceased.

2. What oil have you been using with very good results and no ill effects towards your engines performance.

3. Lets try to call upon the folks who have had at least two or more oil changes as a source.

Last edited by Canine 582; 10-05-2003 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:35 PM
DucatiSSsp
Freshman User
Hi Guys,
I've used Mobil 1 syns in my last 3 motorcycles and my last F150,
I've done 1 oil change on my 6.0 PSD with Delo 15-40 and received a little romping on warm restarts and a little rough idle on cold starts. each usually goes away after 10 or 15 seconds.
I just might be a guinea-pig and try this combo for my winter months and see if this helps smooth out motor at starts.
5 qts 5w-40 delo syn and 9 qts 15w-40 delo......now how about that for a test???

Here in the great northwest(Seattle area) lows only get down to mid 20's at worst. And that might only be for a week or two at the most. Usually in the mid 30's to mid 40's

Comments are always welcome.........
Cheers,
Bryce
PS
5 qts of syn every 4 or 5K I can handle $$$, 15 gets a little pricy.
My philosophy is: Use a quality oil and change it often!!

Old 10-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Canine 582
Freshman User
Thanks for the imfo. ITS A START----------- ANYMORE???
Did you first notice this just after the oil change.

Last edited by Canine 582; 10-05-2003 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:31 AM
6.0HILLBILLY
New User
my first oil change was done at the dealer, they used motorcraft 15w-40.....it ran rougher and much louder than the oil that came in the engine.
2nd change i did myself and used delvac 1-------much more quiet and smoother
3rd change had 4000 miles, i wanted to send off an oil sample and install a fumoto drain, again delvac1
4th change was done at the dealer last week, they recommend the motorcraft 10w-30. i think this is what came in it. it is not as quite as the delvac1, but seems to run smoother than the 5w-40
if my oil samples come back ok from blackstone, i will go back to the delvac1, and start to go for the extended use to justify the greater cost of delvac1
i liked the delvac1 best of the three, it ran smoother and quiter, with no romps or weird idle stuff.
12,400 mi. and running great!!!!!

Quick Reply: What's The Best Oil For My 6.0 SD