National Forest trip - Page 25 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

National Forest trip

Old 04-07-2018, 08:25 AM
scraprat
Postmaster
scraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant future
Spotty cell for loading pics over the past few weeks. Leaving the campsite at the conservation area maneuvering through the trees and the pup keeping an eye on the neighbors. Time to start heading north for cooler weather 85-90f is nice but 65-75f is better with nighttime temps 45f +/- makes for better sleeping.

Found an old spot someone used just big enough for a couple days in the Prescott NF was going to stay longer but the weatherman lied with temps climbing mid 80s plus.

Flagstaff area, Coconino NF elevation 7,000'+ with daytime temps 65f and nighttime temps 40f. Nice scenery of pines with snow still on the peaks. Good hiking areas easy on the dogs feet and no catcus. Reminders of the fires they had here not long ago.

View from the awning area.
On our walks.

Heading north again with the Vermilion Cliffs in the background.

Enjoy

Old 04-07-2018, 09:06 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street
amdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputation
I sure have been enjoying your travels!

Old 04-07-2018, 09:23 AM
scraprat
Postmaster
scraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant future
Thanks Sean.
I did enjoy seeing your trip details last year.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:40 AM
avf100
Elder User
avf100 is a splendid one to beholdavf100 is a splendid one to beholdavf100 is a splendid one to beholdavf100 is a splendid one to beholdavf100 is a splendid one to beholdavf100 is a splendid one to beholdavf100 is a splendid one to behold
Awesome pics as usual !! Thank you.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:15 AM
scraprat
Postmaster
Between storms yesterday low clouds on Flying Monkey Mesa.
Surrounding scenery.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:39 PM
Traildust
Senior User
Traildust is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Does the standing water make you worry about maybe not getting out of there if you need to right away? I once got into a spot here in Northwest Nevada where the dirt road looked wet but was slicker n snot to the point I could not get our 5ver up a very small grade even in 4x4. Spent the night backed off a little to side and next morning it looked the same but went right over and out of there like it was dry pavement.
We are really loving your journey that's for sure.
Bill

Old 04-15-2018, 09:24 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
I carry V-bar snow chains in both trucks and have used them in the clay/ mud, they do work pretty good in those conditions as well as in snow but would rather sit it out. I have sat for days though waiting for the mud to dry out some.

These

Old 04-16-2018, 12:59 PM
ibdagriz
Senior User
ibdagriz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by scraprat View Post
I have sat for days though waiting for the mud to dry out some.
I cannot muster up any sympathy for you if you get stuck in that spot for a few days.
Absolutely gorgeous.

Griz

Old 04-16-2018, 10:11 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
FORDF250HDXLT has a spectacular reputation.FORDF250HDXLT has a spectacular reputation.FORDF250HDXLT has a spectacular reputation.FORDF250HDXLT has a spectacular reputation.FORDF250HDXLT has a spectacular reputation.FORDF250HDXLT has a spectacular reputation.FORDF250HDXLT has a spectacular reputation.FORDF250HDXLT has a spectacular reputation.FORDF250HDXLT has a spectacular reputation.FORDF250HDXLT has a spectacular reputation.FORDF250HDXLT has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by scraprat View Post
I carry V-bar snow chains in both trucks and have used them in the clay/ mud, they do work pretty good in those conditions as well as in snow but would rather sit it out. I have sat for days though waiting for the mud to dry out some.

These
I chain up the front of my dually when I put my chains on.If you ever feel the need for more traction and or, want to try it,you may find they go on easier.Steering is real nice too.The duals float,the front being singles and the weight of the engine,you pretty much have an unstoppable tank.Of course front and rear,who knows what would happen.
While towing though,the more I think about it,if you do only have 1 set,perhaps that is best.Maybe the rear would just be to floaty if left unchained.Anyway,if ever crawling on dirt roads it might be an option though.
Of course I'm also assuming you do have a 4wd too.----I see your sig.She is 4wd.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:46 PM
HRTKD
Postmaster
HRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud of
I drove back to school a good number of years ago with a friend that had a Ford High Boy (I think that's what it's called). Coming south from Casper to Cheyenne, Wyoming on I-25 we hit a blizzard and had to chain up all four tires. I hope I NEVER have to do that again. I think my kidneys are still bruised from that.

I read in the 2017+ manual that Ford says to not use tire chains if you have 20" wheels. They don't address using chains on the front or back so I guess it's your choice. They call for S-Class chains which don't seem right for a 1 ton truck, but whatever.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:03 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT View Post
I chain up the front of my dually when I put my chains on.If you ever feel the need for more traction and or, want to try it,you may find they go on easier.Steering is real nice too.The duals float,the front being singles and the weight of the engine,you pretty much have an unstoppable tank.Of course front and rear,who knows what would happen.
While towing though,the more I think about it,if you do only have 1 set,perhaps that is best.Maybe the rear would just be to floaty if left unchained.Anyway,if ever crawling on dirt roads it might be an option though.
Of course I'm also assuming you do have a 4wd too.----I see your sig.She is 4wd.
I do carry singles along with the dually chains for that just incase time you describe but try never to be in that situation.