National Forest trip

Old 02-04-2018, 09:14 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,465 Likes on 1,287 Posts
Porthole it's nice to have the light come through when showering but there is a light in the shower anyways. In reality the skylight is always blocked with a reflective cushion to block the heat/ cold from entering/ leaving when not in use. I would also delete if ordering new.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:54 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by scraprat
Porthole it's nice to have the light come through when showering but there is a light in the shower anyways. In reality the skylight is always blocked with a reflective cushion to block the heat/ cold from entering/ leaving when not in use. I would also delete if ordering new.

Deleting the skylight specs in 2 additional LEDS in our rig.

So, I scrolled through all 300+ posts and only saw a brief mention.

When you are out in these remote areas, have you had any concern for your safety? Not so much from the four legged animals, the other variant?

What about the times you leave the RV and go exploring?

Retiring this year and hopefully by next year we will be out west for at least 6 months - can't wait (East coast now).

Old 02-04-2018, 03:06 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks like - "Hey Dad - look at this cool snake I found"

Old 02-04-2018, 03:11 PM
Drisean
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine is shedding it's winter coat right now, it's amazing something so small can have so much hair. Good thing he has personality of a puppy all the time and a pretty smart too.
You should try a husky/malamute cross and you'll think your pup sheds almost to nothing.

One of my favorite threads in the forum world.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:24 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by porthole
Deleting the skylight specs in 2 additional LEDS in our rig.

So, I scrolled through all 300+ posts and only saw a brief mention.

When you are out in these remote areas, have you had any concern for your safety? Not so much from the four legged animals, the other variant?

What about the times you leave the RV and go exploring?

Retiring this year and hopefully by next year we will be out west for at least 6 months - can't wait (East coast now).
I believe the city is more dangerous than the areas we go to or I suppose we haven't felt anymore unsafe in the boonies then in an rv park. The dog gives early warning for unseen/ unwanted guest. Bear spray can be a good deterrent for when out walking for 4 or 2 leg creatures, if push comes to shove a more permanent deterrent can be used if necessary.
When we are in bear country (black/ grizzly) we pay more attention to the surroundings for sure safety can be an issue. I'm sure the folks that have had encounters with them never thought it could happen.
Let's not forget about the illegals/ drug runners down south. My wife has done alottttt of homework to lessen that chance of encounter but you never know. "Build the wall"

Here is a pic of the view from the rig at Buenos Aires NWR, AZ early 2017.

This area really is quiet and only 10 or so miles from the border with border patrol all over the place, cameras on tall poles overlooking the desert even seen a large drone on a road trip.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:46 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I just passed through AZ.Crossed over into California a couple weeks ago.Looks like your still having fun in the sun.Enjoy.

I believe the city is more dangerous than the areas we go to or I suppose we haven't felt anymore unsafe in the boonies then in an rv park.
Yup.There's by far no contest.City is extremely dangerous.Out in the middle of nowhere,desert or woods is the safest place to be.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:40 PM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Received 117 Likes on 48 Posts
avt100,
Your dogs just hijacked this thread! Very good looking dogs!
All the pictures are appreciated!
Regards,
Chris

Old 02-12-2018, 04:13 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Careful when you go to trade! Funny story:

"One of my duties as used car manager was to appraise and put a value on all potential trade-ins. Salespeople would drive up to my office that was on the far side of the property, have an appraisal form filled out, and I had to come up with a number value.

This was the most difficult part of the job. People would want to trade in all sorts of things, motorcycles, boats, even tractors. No matter what it was, I had to come up with a value. If I overvalued the vehicle, we'd lose money when we sold it. If I undervalued it, I could cost the dealership the sale of a new vehicle.

The Camper

It was around 9:30 AM, seems like it was mid-week, in the summer of 1979, when I looked up and "the camper" was pulling up. I will never forget it. It was an overhead camper mounted to the chassis of a single cab one-ton Ford truck. It was tall, it was wide, and the sleeping quarters were above the cab and actually stuck out past the windshield quite a ways.

The customer who wanted to trade this rig in decided he was going to trade the truck and camper, and get a new truck to pull a travel trailer. Just a little trivia, at that time Ford Motor Company built and sold these campers through Ford dealerships. They were called Goldline campers, but I digress.

My first thought when the rig pulled up was "great-I have NO idea what this thing is worth". No matter what I was appraising, it was protocol to drive the vehicle and I had a certain path I always took. It was about a 3-mile round trip, but there was a long straightaway when I could make sure the transmission shifted properly. I always wanted the salesperson to ride with me, so if there was an issue with the trade-in, the salesperson could explain it to the customer.

The Test Drive

The salesperson's name was Marvin and he was one of the leading salespeople at the dealership. I would guess he was in his early 50s at this time, with thinning hair on top, and he looked like he played football in his earlier days. Marvin hated riding with me on appraisal runs because he said I drove too fast, and there was some truth in that.

When Marvin pulled up with the camper, I said "OK, let's go drive it". Marvin said "oh no, I'm not riding with you in that thing". I said "come on, this big thing probably won't even go over 35". He relented and climbed in the cab. The truck had a big 460 V8 and when I hit the straightaway, I floored it. As if that wasn't bad enough, I started moving the steering wheel back and forth. The big rig leaned hard left, then hard right, and then hard left again, you get the picture.

This was when Marvin lost his religion. He has both hands firmly planted on the dash, his eyes were as big as saucers, he is sweating profusely, and he is screaming, "Slow this thing down!". I'd had my fun, so I slowed down, but when I pulled back into the dealership, I came in a little hot and the camper leaned hard to the left and I came to a quick stop.

Marvin sort of fell out of the truck and looked dazed and confused, muttering something about never riding with me again. It was time to try to figure out what this thing was worth. I had a relationship with an RV dealer, so my plan was to get them to give me a bid on the camper. I knew what the truck was worth, so I'd add the two numbers together and hopefully we could make a deal.

Before I called my RV buddy, I asked Marvin if the camper had a shower or not. Still breathing hard and sweat rings under his armpits, he said he didn't know for sure and I said, "Well, let's look". I open the door on the rear of the camper to climb in, and my heart stopped.

Standing there, inside the camper, was a lady. To make matters worse, she was covered in milk, eggs, and flour. The same substances were on the floor, pots, pans, and bowls were everywhere. There was milk and eggs on the walls, on the couches, pretty much everywhere. It seems she was cooking breakfast for her and her husband while he was inside the dealership.

With a horrified look on my face, I started apologizing, saying "Oh, ma'am, I am so" and before I could get sorry out of my mouth, she said slowly and very determined "GET. MY. HUSBAND. NOW". As we headed for the showroom, Marvin said, "You're telling him, I'm not doing it".

How The Story Ends

I sat down across the desk from the man who owned the camper and sheepishly said, "sir, I have some bad news to tell you about the test drive I took with your truck and camper". He assumed there had been an accident, but I explained that wasn't the case. I gave him some history on Marvin and me going on test drives, and I went through what I had done on the straightaway. It suddenly dawned on him his wife was inside cooking breakfast; you could see it on his face.

Suddenly the man starting laughing, I assume he pictured in his mind what the scene inside the camper looked like. I profusely apologized, repeatedly, and just asked the man this direct question: "Sir, what were you thinking you wanted for your truck and camper?"

He got his price immediately.

This is volume II in the "True Stories From a Former Car Dealer" series I am writing about experiences when I was in the retail auto business." Jerry

Reprinted from Car Pro.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:08 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Enjoying the fire

Old 03-08-2018, 08:18 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,079 Likes on 555 Posts
Looks like cacti in the background.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:37 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Yes those are. I'm still in the desert enjoying a warmer winter. (Top) is the day time shot. (Bottom) behind the 5th wheel with a visiting coyote.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:58 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,079 Likes on 555 Posts
Sweet! Someday......

Old 03-10-2018, 08:21 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
...I wish .........

Old 03-10-2018, 08:58 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,942 Likes on 1,578 Posts
Been there...... It is so nice to be out away from everyone.......

Old 03-10-2018, 10:08 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,599 Likes on 1,639 Posts
Yes those are. I'm still in the desert enjoying a warmer winter. (Top) is the day time shot. (Bottom) behind the 5th wheel with a visiting coyote.

And now you know therest of the story...............why I live where I do!!!!!!!! Arizona rocks!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: National Forest trip