Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Sea Foam and Me!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 01:14 PM
flylooper
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sea Foam and Me!

Sea Foam is magic. I used it in every gasoline internal cubustion engine I have around this house: Cars, motocycles, mowers, pressure washer. The stuff is just the greatest to clean up engines which have fouling problems from old gasoline, varnish, etc.

But what about diesels? I'd like to dump a can of that stuff in my "just acquired" 7.3 P/S diesel engine (with 240K on it).

Any one have an opinion on the advisability of doing that?

Old 06-16-2016, 01:22 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It's been in mine for 12 years, hey if it works for Boeing it's fine for me.........They use it in ALL their vehicles....

Old 06-16-2016, 01:22 PM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go for it. It wont hurt. Ive used it in mine periodically to clean the fuel system. No harm done.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:24 PM
flylooper
Freshman User
Cool. In it goes!

Old 06-16-2016, 02:09 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Just dump in one can? I've seen some great videos of this stuff working on gas motors, if you believe what you see on YouTube

Old 06-16-2016, 06:14 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
I always pour some in the fuel filter bowl when doing filter changes. It is good stuff.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 06-16-2016, 09:37 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I am of a differing opinion.

Sea Foam has a high concentration of isopropyl alcohol. That's part of the reason why it has the cleaning properties which are claimed. The problem is that it does a number on lubricity, which is essential for diesel engines. And of course trying to inject and burn alcohol has it's own inherent issues.

The 7.3L is more forgiving using such additives. Newer diesels are far less forgiving. However, consistent use does have the possibility of causing issues even with the 7.3L.

Ford does not recommend the use of such additives in the 7.3L or any others. A properly maintained truck should not have any need for such additives anyway.

That said, I've used Sea Foam on a generator that sat for a year with a carb full of old gasoline. It did work to clean out the gunk that had it idling like crap. Half a can and it was running like new.

But I'd never put it in a diesel.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:38 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm not exactly warm and fuzzy about the long-term effects of isopropyl alcohol on injector O-rings. It is a low concentration in a full fuel tank, so maybe it's relatively harmless.

I use additives that compensate for the fuel reformulation that took place in 2007 (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel), since our trucks were manufactured at a time when that didn't exist. The products I buy add a little lubricity and raise the cetane level.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:18 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
There are plenty of diesel fuel additives that clean injectors, add lubricity, and boost cetane. Actually, with the diesel we're running now, cleaning shouldn't be an issue. I remember when the ULSD came out, and even more when they started mixing Bio with diesel, peoples fuel systems were getting so clean that it was plugging up fuel filters. So, unless your truck sits a lot, I'd say a dirty fuel system shouldn't be a concern. I guess carbon could get on the injectors and mess up the fuel delivery to the combustion chambers. So, in those cases, a cleaner would help.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:17 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
There is no replacement for proper maintenance and common sense driving.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:13 PM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Whitey Ford
There is no replacement for proper maintenance and common sense driving.
Yes there is - the bazooka!

Old 06-18-2016, 02:07 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Rub it in.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:03 PM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
I'm not exactly warm and fuzzy about the long-term effects of isopropyl alcohol on injector O-rings. It is a low concentration in a full fuel tank, so maybe it's relatively harmless.

I use additives that compensate for the fuel reformulation that took place in 2007 (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel), since our trucks were manufactured at a time when that didn't exist. The products I buy add a little lubricity and raise the cetane level.
What products do you buy?

Old 06-18-2016, 09:28 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by exbxtoy
What products do you buy?
To increase C16H34 and lubricity, is that really a word, he probably buys more diesel fuel. That always increases both those levels!

Just a thought!

Old 06-23-2016, 04:20 PM
Fordtrucer
Junior User
Well with my little knowledge on diesels I would never put any type of fuel additive that was designed for gasoline style fuel (even jet fuel) due to diesel engines needing lubrication derived from the fuel we put in them. I highly suggest and recommend using power source diesel fuel additive. It's approved for every type of diesel engine new and old, it will not void any warranty, it cleans injectors, keeps filter in good health, lubricates injectors and other vital engine components, and it even boosts cetane levels a bit. I usually put in a 16oz can with each tank it comes in a gray bottle. When the cold weather rolls on in I put the white bottle in from the same company. This is just my opinion it's your truck do as you see fit. Good luck man and welcome to the 7.3 family.

Quick Reply: Sea Foam and Me!