Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Miss at idle and low voltage.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:51 PM
roostonu
Freshman User
roostonu is starting off with a positive reputation.
Miss at idle and low voltage.

My stock 05 6.0 just started idling rough. It had a cylinder 5 contribution code and low voltage supply to FICM when first started. The low voltage has been going on for a while but recently got a little worse. I replaced the batteries yesterday due to age and still have the problem. It does not run rough for the first minute or two. I have the torque app reading 3 different FICM voltages and 2 of them are at 11.0-12.0 for the first 45 seconds of running before they come up to 14.0 volts. Injector voltage says 48.5. My voltmeter on the dash also takes 45 seconds before charging voltage rises and it doesn't matter if its hot or cold for the charge voltage to come up slow. It continues to run rough(miss) off idle but feels like it smooths out at cruise RPM and doesn't really feel like it's lacking power at cruise speeds but I'm not pushing it. It does give a little black smoke (no white smoke)under acceleration but did not do that before the problem started. MAP, BARO and BPS psi is 14.5-14.6 psi with key on engine off. HPOP pressure is 1150 at idle when cold and 900 after running a couple minutes and after it starts running rough.

Everything is stock except for blue spring upgrade and Bullet proof EGR cooler. New Ford oil cooler and EGR cooler was replaced 7k ago. Oil cooler was replaced because oil temp was 25-30 hotter than coolant, but no other symptoms before cooler change.

Any ideas? What controls charging voltage and is the slow response normal?

Old 06-15-2016, 04:19 PM
1977scoutii
Junior User
1977scoutii is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have ask on here before what excites the field for the alternator, don't believe I got an answer. I believe the charging you describe is normal. Mine does the same thing and is very consistent. Mine typically doesn't start charging until after running 30-45 seconds, I've never timed it.

I've had other vehicles that I notice do the same thing. In fact, every vehicle I have every checked for this condition (three maybe) all exhibit the same behavior. Older vehicles will not start charging until about 1000 engine rpms are reached (the alternator will start charging when it itself reaches a certain RPM). Exciting the field on the alternator will start the charging process. The sense wire to the alternator will tell it how much AC to produce. The sense wire to the alternator runs to the PCM. Who know why or when the PCM "excites" the field.

In my opinion, your idling rough issue is not related to your charging issue.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:29 PM
roostonu
Freshman User
roostonu is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 1977scoutii View Post
I have ask on here before what excites the field for the alternator, don't believe I got an answer. I believe the charging you describe is normal. Mine does the same thing and is very consistent. Mine typically doesn't start charging until after running 30-45 seconds, I've never timed it.

I've had other vehicles that I notice do the same thing. In fact, every vehicle I have every checked for this condition (three maybe) all exhibit the same behavior. Older vehicles will not start charging until about 1000 engine rpms are reached (the alternator will start charging when it itself reaches a certain RPM). Exciting the field on the alternator will start the charging process. The sense wire to the alternator will tell it how much AC to produce. The sense wire to the alternator runs to the PCM. Who know why or when the PCM "excites" the field.

In my opinion, your idling rough issue is not related to your charging issue.
Thanks for the response. It sounds normal then, however RPM has no affect on my truck and the time needed for charge voltage to come up. I can raise it from idle to 2500 RPM with no change to the delay.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:30 PM
1977scoutii
Junior User
1977scoutii is starting off with a positive reputation.
Correct. The RPM portion of my rambling was directed to the older vehicles, not our 6.0's.