1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Advantages of a Superduty over OBS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 02:21 PM
91bottlerocket
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advantages of a Superduty over OBS?

I've been searching for a used old body F250 with a 7.3, but finding one in crew cab with a straight body seems pretty difficult. I am tempted to widen my search to the newer style even though the older body looks way better IMHO. I've done some searching and found DIFFERENCES in the two, but are they better? Different turbo (wastegated), split injectors, electric pump, etc. But longevity and build quality are my main concerns. Am I better off just toughing it out looking for the OBS I want or will a 99-02 serve me just as well?

Old 06-15-2016, 03:24 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 865 Likes on 659 Posts
when I looked for mine, I was told any diesel 7.3 up to 2003 would do well lasting into 500k+ miles and to get a turbo if towing

I agree the OBS does look better

Old 06-15-2016, 03:27 PM
pgg00
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the idea of the 6 speed manual transmission in the newer ones. But agree that the OBS is a much better looking truck

Old 06-15-2016, 03:47 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Little more power, better ride, IC, and efuel

Old 06-15-2016, 03:54 PM
91bottlerocket
Freshman User
Originally Posted by fordpride
Little more power, better ride, IC, and efuel
~25 hp correct? Better ride would always be nice, but would you consider this a debatable point or sort of a widely accepted fact? I can't complain about any of the OBS I've ridden in and can't tell much difference between them and my father in laws 06 6.0 CC. Could be more apparent if I drove them back to back though.

IC and wastegate but smaller turbo? And when you say efuel, meaning electronic fuel pump?

Old 06-15-2016, 03:58 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Having those items wouldn't make me buy a SD. Id stay with a obs cause I'm gonna to mod it.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:04 PM
JAFO1
Senior User
I will go out on a limb and say there are numerous differences in OBS and SD, and the benefits of the SD are debatable. At the end of the day the OBS is just plain cool, and everyone knows vent windows ROCK!

Old 06-15-2016, 04:22 PM
91bottlerocket
Freshman User
Originally Posted by JAFO1
I will go out on a limb and say there are numerous differences in OBS and SD, and the benefits of the SD are debatable. At the end of the day the OBS is just plain cool, and everyone knows vent windows ROCK!
I think thats my primary reason for shopping for them!

Also, your diff cover is sick. Did you paint it yourself?

Old 06-15-2016, 04:27 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't take my word 100% on this but from what I read I'll say some differences.

Differences between SD and OBS:

- Turbo wheel. Many people switch the SD turbo wheel to the OBS one so I think OBS wins here

- Intercooler. SD has the intercooler which of course is nice especially for towing, but I have read it's not necessary if you don't plan on towing big. SD wins here.

- Electric fuel pump. SD has an electric fuel pump which I read is more efficient at pumping fuel than the OBS mechanical one, so the SD wins here.

- Injectors. SD has the split shot injectors I believe while I am under the impression that most OBS have single shot injectors. I could be way wrong on that though. I read that the split shot injectors have the potential for more power than split shots as well. If that'ts the case then OBS ones might be a little better. Either way, a high mileage 7.3 will probably require some injector refreshing if it hasn't had it before.

There are then of course differences in looks, both interior and exterior. The SD probably has more luxury type options and a little nicer ride. However, both trucks are getting up there in age now, and are probably going to be comparable to comfort and condition as well.

I do like the SD looks, but I think the OBS looks much better. If I were in your position and wasn't rushed, I'd wait and look around for an OBS.

Edit: When it comes to a longevity standpoint, I think BOTH are going to be pretty much equal. It all will depend on the maintenance of the vehicle before. Engine and transmission wise, both should be near identical in maintenance and longevity. I'd say the same goes for the body and interior as well. My friend's dad has a 99 SD 7.3 that is in worse shape cosmetically than mine both with the interior and exterior. HOWEVER, I have spent tremendous amount of time and effort cleaning my truck and have replaced and upgraded things along the way (headliner and door panels etc.). I think any powerstroke 7.3 truck will be comparable in longevity/power/comfort whether it's an OBS or SD. It's going to be all about how the truck was maintained and treated that will make the biggest difference.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:20 PM
91bottlerocket
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Bubba Jones
Don't take my word 100% on this but from what I read I'll say some differences.

Differences between SD and OBS:

- Turbo wheel. Many people switch the SD turbo wheel to the OBS one so I think OBS wins here

- Intercooler. SD has the intercooler which of course is nice especially for towing, but I have read it's not necessary if you don't plan on towing big. SD wins here.

- Electric fuel pump. SD has an electric fuel pump which I read is more efficient at pumping fuel than the OBS mechanical one, so the SD wins here.

- Injectors. SD has the split shot injectors I believe while I am under the impression that most OBS have single shot injectors. I could be way wrong on that though. I read that the split shot injectors have the potential for more power than split shots as well. If that'ts the case then OBS ones might be a little better. Either way, a high mileage 7.3 will probably require some injector refreshing if it hasn't had it before.

There are then of course differences in looks, both interior and exterior. The SD probably has more luxury type options and a little nicer ride. However, both trucks are getting up there in age now, and are probably going to be comparable to comfort and condition as well.

I do like the SD looks, but I think the OBS looks much better. If I were in your position and wasn't rushed, I'd wait and look around for an OBS.

Edit: When it comes to a longevity standpoint, I think BOTH are going to be pretty much equal. It all will depend on the maintenance of the vehicle before. Engine and transmission wise, both should be near identical in maintenance and longevity. I'd say the same goes for the body and interior as well. My friend's dad has a 99 SD 7.3 that is in worse shape cosmetically than mine both with the interior and exterior. HOWEVER, I have spent tremendous amount of time and effort cleaning my truck and have replaced and upgraded things along the way (headliner and door panels etc.). I think any powerstroke 7.3 truck will be comparable in longevity/power/comfort whether it's an OBS or SD. It's going to be all about how the truck was maintained and treated that will make the biggest difference.

At least cupholders are an option in both. My Ranger that I'll be replacing has none and its a pain.

Thanks for all the input guys. Doesn't seem like the upgrades are all that big of a deal to me when it comes to the engine so really just down to looks and man that OBS looks sooooo sweet.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:25 AM
JAFO1
Senior User
Originally Posted by 91bottlerocket
I think thats my primary reason for shopping for them!

Also, your diff cover is sick. Did you paint it yourself?
Yes, I did. I had it off for servicing so I figured 'why not?' Besides, it matches the tail gate.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:26 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by JAFO1
Yes, I did. I had it off for servicing so I figured 'why not?' Besides, it matches the tail gate.
And because Texas.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:02 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
Ok there are some things I will add.
I have owned 2sd and 3obs

Sd have split shot inj. Ad code are 140cc obs are single shot 90cc for the most part unless Cali 120split obs
Splits need more oil volume.
Sd if making big power change to single shots.
IMO obs winner for potential but sd a tad more fuel.

Efuel on a sd is far from a perfect system. Those return fuel incorrectly and I would want the filter housing moved and better filtration.

L99 sd has 3" plenums and they all have ic on them.
Find the used ic parts and install on an obs for a few hundo bucks.

Sd do ride better. My wife will tell you ALL about how she liked the sd better.

I did an rsk and repaired my seats . She doesn't complaign too much these days. It wouldn't do any good with the $ I have invested Clifford is home!

IMO it's just what you want more than wich is better. We all know the obs wins that every time!

Old 06-16-2016, 07:52 AM
Osmond4X4
Junior User
Originally Posted by 91bottlerocket
I've been searching for a used old body F250 with a 7.3, but finding one in crew cab with a straight body seems pretty difficult. I am tempted to widen my search to the newer style even though the older body looks way better IMHO. I've done some searching and found DIFFERENCES in the two, but are they better? Different turbo (wastegated), split injectors, electric pump, etc. But longevity and build quality are my main concerns. Am I better off just toughing it out looking for the OBS I want or will a 99-02 serve me just as well?
Engine differences are minor. SD's are intercooled thats a plus. SD have a solid axle not the dreaded TTB front end. More comfortable ride and interior on the SB. Its personal pref, I own both .

Old 06-16-2016, 08:46 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My OBS is down right now with a broken clutch disc, so I borrowed my buddy's 2001 to bring my fifth wheel home from NC. I actually thought about selling my OBS and buying an SD. I had a brand new one in '04, kept it three years then went back to an OBS. After driving my buddy's '01 7.3 down here, they have the same problems that OBS trucks do after 220,000 miles. They do ride a little better, but I like my OBS trucks and always have. I guess that's why I have 9 of them. LOL! The creature comforts are the biggest difference in my opinion, but the OBS truck are just way tougher trucks.
I'll be towing my fifth wheel back to WV and through the mountains Saturday with this '01. It has an intake, exhaust, and a TS 6 position chip with canned tunes. It is a 6 spd. and has 315 tires on it. I'm anxious to see how it does towing. I can say that my OBS with the mods I have has WAY more power than this '01.

Quick Reply: Advantages of a Superduty over OBS?