DEF Half full, Truck went into 500mi Countdown - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DEF Half full, Truck went into 500mi Countdown

Old 12-04-2017, 01:29 PM
Posting Guru

djousma is a name known to alldjousma is a name known to alldjousma is a name known to alldjousma is a name known to alldjousma is a name known to alldjousma is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipperdog View Post
All 3 times that it has Occured the Truck was not Loaded or Towing. I was hoping that the condition would Self Correct, but it hasn't happened. I'm a little hesitant to have the Truck Re Flashed because the 6.7 is running real Sweet and I would rather just Dump in a Jug of DEF to Kill the Countdown, than to disturb the current Program.
Agreed! I actually went to the dealer the first time it happened, as I had only had the truck for a month at that point. Then they ran diags, found nothing, and did a "reset". Didnt make any difference, and like we both have found, just refilling the tank seems to reset the issue.

The issue seems to be triggered at the point the DEF in the tank drops below the sensor that normally triggers the "under 1/2 full" when in the displays. For awhile, I was thinking maybe that sensor was broken or something, but just recently I had checked a was below the 1/2 message, and everything seems to be just fine.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:56 PM
Elder User

Nipperdog is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djousma View Post

The issue seems to be triggered at the point the DEF in the tank drops below the sensor that normally triggers the "under 1/2 full" when in the displays. For awhile, I was thinking maybe that sensor was broken or something, but just recently I had checked a was below the 1/2 message, and everything seems to be just fine.
My Truck is doing the same thing. The level Sensor is just 3 Stainless Rods of different lengths that make contact with the DEF for full, 1/2, or Empty and send feed back to the Computer. More than likely a Firmware Glitch
Old 12-07-2017, 03:07 AM
New User

slimijim is starting off with a positive reputation.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:09 AM
New User

Old 12-07-2017, 03:10 AM
New User

Old 12-07-2017, 03:13 AM
New User

These level sensors are known to be questionable. If my tank gets to half full I get P21AB and MIL. I top up the tank it goes away.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:43 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
have you just tried to let it run down to around a 100 miles to empty and then do the refill?
Old 12-07-2017, 06:57 AM
Posting Guru

smlford has a good reputation on FTE.smlford has a good reputation on FTE.
I just can't understand why ford just doesn't have a standard gauge to show the def level like our fuel gauge.

On my '14 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel I can scroll through the computer display and quickly find it.....
Old 12-07-2017, 07:00 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlford View Post
I just can't understand why ford just doesn't have a standard gauge to show the def level like our fuel gauge.

On my '14 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel I can scroll through the computer display and quickly find it.....

DEF freezes.
I would almost bet your Cherokee has the same type of gauge but uses a computer program to interpret the level.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:08 AM
Elder User

Nipperdog is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by senix View Post
have you just tried to let it run down to around a 100 miles to empty and then do the refill?
That was my Plan. I topped off the DEF Tank and expected it to run down to near Empty and get the 500mi Alert. As soon as the Level dropped below 1/2, the 500mi Warning appeared. Had I not filled up the DEF, I'm sure that the Truck would have gone into the Limp Mode at 500mi.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:42 AM
Senior User

camminich is starting off with a positive reputation.
How many gallons of DEF did you add?

I do think the DEF system does try to sabotage itself. You have the level warnings, but then also you have the truck's computer monitoring how long it has been since it last told to you refill. These sometimes work against each other. I think that is why many (myself included) wait to add DEF until you are getting the actual countdown message, and then even still until it says something in the neighborhood of about 100 miles to go. If you do this, in theory you should add close to 5 gallons of DEF.

I think if you get the 500 miles to go message, but then still only add 2 to 3 gallons, your system may not have been empty, but instead the computer just thought you went too many miles since it last warned you.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:14 PM
Posting Guru

djousma is a name known to alldjousma is a name known to alldjousma is a name known to alldjousma is a name known to alldjousma is a name known to alldjousma is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by camminich View Post
How many gallons of DEF did you add?

I do think the DEF system does try to sabotage itself. You have the level warnings, but then also you have the truck's computer monitoring how long it has been since it last told to you refill. These sometimes work against each other. I think that is why many (myself included) wait to add DEF until you are getting the actual countdown message, and then even still until it says something in the neighborhood of about 100 miles to go. If you do this, in theory you should add close to 5 gallons of DEF.

I think if you get the 500 miles to go message, but then still only add 2 to 3 gallons, your system may not have been empty, but instead the computer just thought you went too many miles since it last warned you.
Right, and its always the computer that wins. Bug or not, if that 500 mile countdown gets to 0 whether the tank is empty or 1/2 full, your still getting shutdown.