DEF Half full, Truck went into 500mi Countdown - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

DEF Half full, Truck went into 500mi Countdown

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DEF Half full, Truck went into 500mi Countdown

Old 12-04-2017, 12:29 PM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Nipperdog View Post
All 3 times that it has Occured the Truck was not Loaded or Towing. I was hoping that the condition would Self Correct, but it hasn't happened. I'm a little hesitant to have the Truck Re Flashed because the 6.7 is running real Sweet and I would rather just Dump in a Jug of DEF to Kill the Countdown, than to disturb the current Program.
Agreed! I actually went to the dealer the first time it happened, as I had only had the truck for a month at that point. Then they ran diags, found nothing, and did a "reset". Didnt make any difference, and like we both have found, just refilling the tank seems to reset the issue.

The issue seems to be triggered at the point the DEF in the tank drops below the sensor that normally triggers the "under 1/2 full" when in the displays. For awhile, I was thinking maybe that sensor was broken or something, but just recently I had checked a was below the 1/2 message, and everything seems to be just fine.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:56 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Nipperdog is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by djousma View Post

The issue seems to be triggered at the point the DEF in the tank drops below the sensor that normally triggers the "under 1/2 full" when in the displays. For awhile, I was thinking maybe that sensor was broken or something, but just recently I had checked a was below the 1/2 message, and everything seems to be just fine.
My Truck is doing the same thing. The level Sensor is just 3 Stainless Rods of different lengths that make contact with the DEF for full, 1/2, or Empty and send feed back to the Computer. More than likely a Firmware Glitch

Old 12-07-2017, 02:07 AM
slimijim
New User
slimijim is starting off with a positive reputation.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:09 AM
slimijim
New User

Old 12-07-2017, 02:10 AM
slimijim
New User

Old 12-07-2017, 02:13 AM
slimijim
New User
These level sensors are known to be questionable. If my tank gets to half full I get P21AB and MIL. I top up the tank it goes away.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:43 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
have you just tried to let it run down to around a 100 miles to empty and then do the refill?

Old 12-07-2017, 05:57 AM
smlford
Posting Guru
smlford has a good reputation on FTE.smlford has a good reputation on FTE.
I just can't understand why ford just doesn't have a standard gauge to show the def level like our fuel gauge.

On my '14 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel I can scroll through the computer display and quickly find it.....

Old 12-07-2017, 06:00 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by smlford View Post
I just can't understand why ford just doesn't have a standard gauge to show the def level like our fuel gauge.

On my '14 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel I can scroll through the computer display and quickly find it.....

DEF freezes.
I would almost bet your Cherokee has the same type of gauge but uses a computer program to interpret the level.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:08 AM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Nipperdog is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by senix View Post
have you just tried to let it run down to around a 100 miles to empty and then do the refill?
That was my Plan. I topped off the DEF Tank and expected it to run down to near Empty and get the 500mi Alert. As soon as the Level dropped below 1/2, the 500mi Warning appeared. Had I not filled up the DEF, I'm sure that the Truck would have gone into the Limp Mode at 500mi.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:42 AM
camminich
Senior User
camminich is starting off with a positive reputation.
How many gallons of DEF did you add?

I do think the DEF system does try to sabotage itself. You have the level warnings, but then also you have the truck's computer monitoring how long it has been since it last told to you refill. These sometimes work against each other. I think that is why many (myself included) wait to add DEF until you are getting the actual countdown message, and then even still until it says something in the neighborhood of about 100 miles to go. If you do this, in theory you should add close to 5 gallons of DEF.

I think if you get the 500 miles to go message, but then still only add 2 to 3 gallons, your system may not have been empty, but instead the computer just thought you went too many miles since it last warned you.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:14 PM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by camminich View Post
How many gallons of DEF did you add?

I do think the DEF system does try to sabotage itself. You have the level warnings, but then also you have the truck's computer monitoring how long it has been since it last told to you refill. These sometimes work against each other. I think that is why many (myself included) wait to add DEF until you are getting the actual countdown message, and then even still until it says something in the neighborhood of about 100 miles to go. If you do this, in theory you should add close to 5 gallons of DEF.

I think if you get the 500 miles to go message, but then still only add 2 to 3 gallons, your system may not have been empty, but instead the computer just thought you went too many miles since it last warned you.
Right, and its always the computer that wins. Bug or not, if that 500 mile countdown gets to 0 whether the tank is empty or 1/2 full, your still getting shutdown.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:55 PM
arokk227
New User
arokk227 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the same problem on my 12 6.7L, i concluded it must either be faulty wiring because its not necessarily a weatherproof area down where all the wires plug into the DEF system and the exhaust, or the sensors in the tanks are sometimes bad or are faulty. I have gotten this message a few times and i refilled it at a truck stop with the DEF pump. saves a ton on def and i haven'd had an issue since i started following that routine procedure. currently i have a CEL on related to a bad reductant heater but ive been plowing and running truck daily in buffalo ny this winter and its regenned only a few times as usual. it seems the sensors or the wiring on these systems, or even the software of the system could use some more R&D but the system itself seems alright. Looking into a delete once im fully out of warranty.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:08 PM
GT4point6
Senior User
GT4point6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2018 has a DEF gauge, not sure if it started in 17 or 18 but seen earlier post in this thread asking why Ford doesn't use one, looks like they listened.
Also my 2018 has a 7.4 gallon capacity according to the owners manual, seems like other with 16 and earlier have 5 gallons.
I'm at less than 1/4 tank and the DEF screen still says DEF OK, it's a separate screen from the DEF gauge which is on the same page as the transmission temperature.
Have not added fluid since I bought it new, 5400 miles on it so far.

Curious how low the gauge will go before I get the Fill or Low or whatever warning I get on the DEF OK page. Have some standing by for when it does say it needs it.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:20 PM
Dakster
Post Fiend
Dakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by GT4point6 View Post
My 2018 has a DEF gauge, not sure if it started in 17 or 18 but seen earlier post in this thread asking why Ford doesn't use one, looks like they listened.
Also my 2018 has a 7.4 gallon capacity according to the owners manual, seems like other with 16 and earlier have 5 gallons.
I'm at less than 1/4 tank and the DEF screen still says DEF OK, it's a separate screen from the DEF gauge which is on the same page as the transmission temperature.
Have not added fluid since I bought it new, 5400 miles on it so far.

Curious how low the gauge will go before I get the Fill or Low or whatever warning I get on the DEF OK page. Have some standing by for when it does say it needs it.
I'd have some on hand because the countdown could happen at any time. There is an algorithm in place, so it isn't straight forward like a fuel tank. Part of it is to make sure that you are filling it and that you are filling it with DEF and not water. At least it was how it was explained to me by a tech I know and trust. My 2015 is finnicky at times - sometimes I get the countdown and it barely takes 1, 2.5 gal jug to fill it, other, times it takes 2 of them... Sometimes the countdown resets immediately upon restart and other times it took several days of restarts to clear... I really don't like seeing the countdown so my goal is always to fill it when I know it will trip a sensor when I do fill it. Of course my DEF screen will say "below 1/2" and that's when I try to put a 2.5 gal jug in so I know i will see a fill up event.

Other than not knowing how much it's going to take, I haven't had any real issues. On my long vacation drives, I top off at fuel stations with bulk DEF since it's cheaper that way and I never have any left over. Granted, Wal Mart brand at $7.99 a 2.5 gal jug isn't a bad deal either.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DEF Half full, Truck went into 500mi Countdown

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: