1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Hpop or Lift pump issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 06:57 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Saw that my fuel filter cap was leaking a bit while expanding, so I went return it and bought a WIX fuel filter. No longer leaking from the cap. I also got the "NEW" MAP sensor in. I plugged it in and it seemed to clean up a little bit of my soot output and some of my egts. But I put my chip on heavy tow, then street, then Extreme and just floored it a couple of times while unloaded. In both heavy tow and extreme. It actually did the jerking feeling in 3rd gear non OD it just wasnt as exaggerated as when theres 7k pounds behind me to pull and yank against. Wich means to me that Im maxing something out. I tried it in daily wich is 40hp gain and it smooth out but didnt go anywhere very fast. Im not dumping fuel and im not seeing alot of black smoke while this is happening.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:45 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
Lots of black smoke means not enough air

what PSI boost when this happens?

Maybe get a laptop to record the PIDs when it happens?

Old 06-29-2016, 01:44 AM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by knottyrope
Lots of black smoke means not enough air

what PSI boost when this happens?

Maybe get a laptop to record the PIDs when it happens?
Typed that wrong. I'm not seeing alot of soot. I'm at like 3-6 psi. Not high at all

Old 06-29-2016, 06:57 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
3-6psi on normal driving or floored ?

Old 06-29-2016, 09:44 AM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordpride
3-6psi on normal driving or floored ?
I get 3-6psi in 3od when I floor it at 2600 rpms. The rpms go up very slowly in 3od when floored. When I floor it in 2nd/3rd the boost goes to 17psI in second and 14psi in 3rd.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:36 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
I just took my air filter out and sprayed it from the inside out and got a pretty decent amount of dust off of it. I'll put it all back together here and try towing something tomorrow and see what happens. Would be nice if it was just a bad air filter.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:47 AM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ezalycasaid
I just took my air filter out and sprayed it from the inside out and got a pretty decent amount of dust off of it. I'll put it all back together here and try towing something tomorrow and see what happens. Would be nice if it was just a bad air filter.
stranger things have happened. So, did it work out ok for you?

Old 07-11-2016, 10:37 AM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 1KILLERZ
stranger things have happened. So, did it work out ok for you?
Idk yet. I'm debating doing more things while I have the turbo out. Like ordering efuel.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:00 AM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
MAP

So in reading this thread, I decided to check out my MAP as well. I have a question, hopefully someone can answer.

I will post pictures soon. In looking at my map, I have a line that goes down to what appears the valley/fuel pump area.

Off of that line, something appears not factory. There is another plumbed line "t'ing" off of it and in tracing the line, appears to go in to the cab.

Thoughts? I don't think its stock.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:07 AM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
So in reading this thread, I decided to check out my MAP as well. I have a question, hopefully someone can answer.

I will post pictures soon. In looking at my map, I have a line that goes down to what appears the valley/fuel pump area.

Off of that line, something appears not factory. There is another plumbed line "t'ing" off of it and in tracing the line, appears to go in to the cab.

Thoughts? I don't think its stock.
That's a boost gauge line. Make sure the end of that larger line that ends in the valley is put on passenger side of ur intake plenum. There will be a small barb coming off of it.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:11 AM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
That's a boost gauge line. Make sure the end of that larger line that ends in the valley is put on passenger side of ur intake plenum. There will be a small barb coming off of it.
Boost gauge. Yup. Check. Thanks.

I will be checking that larger hose here tonight. I may just order the MAP sensor from riff raff as the one on the truck looks to be OE from the day it rolled off the factory line. Lol.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:35 AM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Boost gauge. Yup. Check. Thanks.

I will be checking that larger hose here tonight. I may just order the MAP sensor from riff raff as the one on the truck looks to be OE from the day it rolled off the factory line. Lol.
Make sure it's on that barb correctly first before u order anything. Could just be a very simple fix. These were takin on the passenger side of the outside side of the valley. Orange is my intake plenum boot.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:00 AM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Make sure it's on that barb correctly first before u order anything. Could just be a very simple fix. These were takin on the passenger side of the outside side of the valley. Orange is my intake plenum boot.

Thanks a lot. Pictures work best for me, especially in this case. we shall see what i find tonight...

Old 07-23-2016, 11:00 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Still fumbling around with this. Started to dawn on me that my tranny at start up takes a long time to get moving. I'll place the truck in reverse and sometimes wait 30 secs before it'll start moving. Tonight really made me realize it because I was on a slant and when I put in drive and took my foot off the brake I started rolling backwards like I was in netral. Is this the tc or tranny taking too long to engage or build pressure because somethings out? Oh and also my brakes where super squishy when this happened the one time on the slant.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:23 AM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
I just went over a couple things and rememberEd about how stupid the electrical is on these trannys.... I had a reverse light out. Ill test it tomorrow and try towing the camper but Im very optimistic that it was the issue. I put a new reverse light bulb in just now and it instantly went into reverse.

Quick Reply: Hpop or Lift pump issue?