Sponsored by:

SUV tent; easy camping

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 01:14 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SUV tent; easy camping

All right, my dreams of a rooftop tent or a camper are no longer. I bought an SUV tent made by Napier (Napier sports 84000) and tried it out last night. Would still be at the campground if it didn't rain so heavy today (lake waramaug, CT).

Additionally, I made a bed inside the Ex using a futon mattress. The short of the story is that sleeping in the Ex is like sleeping in an Inn -as comfortable as being at home. And, we didn't end up using the tent as much because the Ex became our head quarters using the tent, screened in porch while it rained. I love the set up!

Now, the issue I realized is that the done lights stay on unless all doors and hatch are closed. This means I now need to mod the ex with a done light shutoff switch.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:39 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Looks like a nice campground. So it rained heavy, none made it into the truck? Or the tent, from the roof of the truck? That's a good thing. Did you seal the seams?

Recognize those fireplace rings too, made here in good ole Ioway.

http://www.pilotrock.com/aspx/Shop/P...px?productid=3

Old 06-11-2016, 02:40 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Nice!

I wonder how much of a lift an Excursion can have before that setup doesn't work.

Stewart

Old 06-11-2016, 02:46 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
A few inches should be ok but nothing extreme for sure.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:47 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
So no probs with a person doing the common spring upgrade, but probably won't work with a 4 or 6 inch lift, eh?

Stewart

Old 06-11-2016, 03:11 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
So no probs with a person doing the common spring upgrade, but probably won't work with a 4 or 6 inch lift, eh?

Stewart
That would be my assessment.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:13 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Looks like a nice campground. So it rained heavy, none made it into the truck? Or the tent, from the roof of the truck? That's a good thing. Did you seal the seams?

Recognize those fireplace rings too, made here in good ole Ioway.

Campfire Rings: Series: Pilot Rock
No leaks! I did not seal the seams but the tent is new out of the box. Cool factoid about the fireplace rings!

Old 06-11-2016, 03:53 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Well not to digress tho usually, new tents need to have the seams sealed. The makers will oftentimes include a can of seam sealer. One recommendation is to set the tent up (at home) and soak it down well with a garden hose and then let it dry thoroughly in the sun. Then apply seam sealer to tent and fly. There's only one way really to find out if a tent leaks, and the middle of the night during a heavy downpour is the usual procedure, lol

Old 06-11-2016, 03:58 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Well not to digress tho usually, new tents need to have the seams sealed. The makers will oftentimes include a can of seam sealer. One recommendation is to set the tent up (at home) and soak it down well with a garden hose and then let it dry thoroughly in the sun. Then apply seam sealer to tent and fly. There's only one way really to find out if a tent leaks, and the middle of the night during a heavy downpour is the usual procedure, lol
Looks like I should find some sealer...before finding out the hard way.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:05 PM
74Mav
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to get one of those for my trip to maine in a few days. Ended up getting an Ozark Trail 4 room Basecamp tent.

One of the Napier Sportz tents would be nice if it's just my girlfriend and I, but, we also have four kids going too...

Old 06-11-2016, 04:21 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 74Mav
I was going to get one of those for my trip to maine in a few days. Ended up getting an Ozark Trail 4 room Basecamp tent.

One of the Napier Sportz tents would be nice if it's just my girlfriend and I, but, we also have four kids going too...
Probably a good choice. But the Napier tent will fit 4 plus two in the Ex. That is 6 people. AND you have a screened porch

Old 06-11-2016, 04:31 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Yeah, ask me how I know, lol.

Always use a ground tarp underneath too. I focus applying sealer at the corner seams and pinholes, inside and out, but all seams get at least couple coats. Then it can rain hard and everyone can still stay high and dry. Otherwise it's oftentimes just gonna be a river across the floor.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:53 PM
draglink
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now, the issue I realized is that the done lights stay on unless all doors and hatch are closed. This means I now need to mod the ex with a done light shutoff switch 2

That's strange, my 2000 interior lights will auto turn off in about 10-15 minutes of a door or the back hatch being open. Did they do away with that as the years progressed?

Old 06-11-2016, 07:06 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks great Magnus!

Old 06-11-2016, 07:14 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Hey, that looks like a blast. If I could, I'd camp every day from spring till late fall.

Magnus, I hope you are not offended, but I pictured you as more of a 30' Airstream kind of guy.....

Quick Reply: SUV tent; easy camping