1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

No grease able U joints on my 02 f250? Factory ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 09:00 AM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
No grease able U joints on my 02 f250? Factory ?

As stated in the posting I crawled under my truck to Greece my driveline and all the other U joints, because on deceleration I'm getting a slight chirping noise so I figured grease it up.

I found that none of the U joints on the rear driveshaft front driveshaft or four-wheel-drive on the outside of the axles have grease zerks. ? I could've sworn the rear driveline or fromt driveline had zerks but I guess not (maybe I'm getting it confused with my old 97 CCLB? ) I just am wondering if they're factory u joints being non serviceable ? And if so I have 151 k miles. But will run them till they go bad I suppose !

Old 06-05-2016, 09:12 AM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
They don't necessarily indicate factory. You can buy both greasable and non greasable u-joints in the aftermarket too. There are differing opinions on which is the best option. Me, for my truck, put in greasable joints. It's not that I don't trust the non-greasable joints, it's just that I have the train of thought that if I put grease in them, I know for sure they are greased.

You may not want to run them till they fail, bad things can happen if a joint were to let go in the rear shaft doing 70 or so down the highway...:.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:15 AM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas
That's true. I think they're ok still though. No play in them as far as I can see

Old 06-05-2016, 10:30 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Greaseable U-joints, especially aftermarket ones, are JUNK. Maybe I should rephrase that......

U-joints that are greaseable are a horrible idea. They always have and always will be. If they ever are getting greased (not likely), then they are getting over-greased. Once the grease has been spit out past the seal then you have to regrease them every other day to keep crap out of them. The seals are soft and will not seat properly again once grease has been forced past them.

The factory non-greaseable joints (like the stock Spicers) can last nearly 300K miles if not abused, left underwater for years, or taken apart. The seals are a one-time-use only but they WORK.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:21 PM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
Greaseable U-joints, especially aftermarket ones, are JUNK. Maybe I should rephrase that......

U-joints that are greaseable are a horrible idea. They always have and always will be. If they ever are getting greased (not likely), then they are getting over-greased. Once the grease has been spit out past the seal then you have to regrease them every other day to keep crap out of them. The seals are soft and will not seat properly again once grease has been forced past them.

The factory non-greaseable joints (like the stock Spicers) can last nearly 300K miles if not abused, left underwater for years, or taken apart. The seals are a one-time-use only but they WORK.
The percentage and load of towing compared to non towing can also affect joint reliability. And then there are the lifted trucks with their particular problems. I got passed by a lifted, overloaded F250 (the rear end was way below level) pulling a 3 axle toy hauler doing at least 80. I doubt his u-joints will last 300K. I do agree about the non-greasable being more reliable for the typical light truck like we have.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:50 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Rikster-7700

You may not want to run them till they fail, bad things can happen if a joint were to let go in the rear shaft doing 70 or so down the highway...:.
I've seen trucks on the side of the road with a driveshaft laying on the ground. For me, I got some chatter and a clunk I could hear when mine started to wear so I changed it then before it got worse.

I disagree on a few points. First, the non greasable ones can last much longer that 300k. Mine went about 450k.

Next, I'm not scared of greasable ones either. I have plenty on farm equipment and have around 100k on the ones in my driveshaft.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:30 AM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas
Last night I changed out all three u joints. Took me about six hours but I got it done, I went with the Spicer greasrable u joints. I also lubed my slip yoke with Motorcraft slip yoke lube. One of three was bad for sure. The one at the rear axle was the culprit

Old 06-09-2016, 12:19 PM
Macmathews
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not true..
My truck is at 187,000 miles every U joint in it was either seized or so rusty it was seized.. Greasable U joints work great it they get greased. And that would depend on how many miles you are putting on them.. The grease does a great job of keeping water out..
I vote for Zerks especially to this crowd , guys who care for their own trucks will indeed grease them !

Kyle

Old 06-09-2016, 12:29 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by DanielT28
Last night I changed out all three u joints. Took me about six hours but I got it done, I went with the Spicer greasrable u joints. I also lubed my slip yoke with Motorcraft slip yoke lube. One of three was bad for sure. The one at the rear axle was the culprit
I was going to say Spicer/Dana make a greaseable u-joint.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:25 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by Macmathews
Not true..
My truck is at 187,000 miles every U joint in it was either seized or so rusty it was seized.. Greasable U joints work great it they get greased. And that would depend on how many miles you are putting on them.. The grease does a great job of keeping water out..
I vote for Zerks especially to this crowd , guys who care for their own trucks will indeed grease them !

Kyle
Your one pick up versus the twelve that I have in my fleet that live their lives being driven like rental cars on muddy gravel roads year round say otherwise.

This is not counting my three personal vehicles that had 275k, 263k, and 198k on the factory U-joints.... Two of the vehicles I changed simply as a maintenance item even though they still had plenty of life left in them. The last ones were replaced because the entire drive shaft was replaced. They were still good too.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:28 PM
Macmathews
Elder User
Your one pick up versus the twelve that I have in my fleet that live their lives being driven like rental cars on muddy gravel roads year round say otherwise.
Or vs my farm machinery in a Canadian climate where we have salt and snow..
Ohh wait .. My brothers 2003 7.3 with 196,000 miles are toast as well

Kyle

Old 06-09-2016, 01:31 PM
Macmathews
Elder User

This is not counting my three personal vehicles that had 275k, 263k, , and 198k on the factory U-joints.... Two of the vehicles I changed simply as a maintenance item even though they still had plenty of life left in them. The last ones were replaced because the entire drive shaft was replaced. They were still good too.
How often would you say you grease ?

Kyle

Old 06-10-2016, 09:28 AM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas
I live in the Portland or area. Out in the sticks. But I think I'll be just Fine. I don't wheel my truck or tow much at all. Just a pavement pounder. Daily driver. Try to save bashing for my dirt bike !

Old 06-10-2016, 08:46 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Macmathews
How often would you say you grease ?

Kyle
Not sure of Cody's schedule, but thanks for the reminder. I'd say it's time to grease mine again. I've ran the greasable version for the last couple of hundred thousand miles.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:53 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Waaay back in the day the lube schedule in the manual for greasing was every 1000 miles, 500 for "severe service". I know people who run heavy earth moving equipment that will lube every day.

Quick Reply: No grease able U joints on my 02 f250? Factory ?