Notices
2014+ Transit 2014+ full size Ford Transit Van, Wagon, Cutaway and Chassis-Cab

Any Disappointed Transit Owners?

Old 01-28-2018, 11:14 AM
interstategar
Freshman User
interstategar is starting off with a positive reputation.
Don't Buy a Transit

I'm in the expediting business and we put on easily 80K per year mostly highway miles. The E series which I still run with 368K miles on it with zero out of the ordinary repairs is still superior to the piece of junk the Transit is. My previous E 350 was at 517K before I retired it. No unusual repair problems or failures. I was at a truck stop and talked to a '17 Transit owner. At 4000 mi his engine blew. Ford said not to worry, that's rare. While he was idling his battery light was on. Another driver told me the brakes and the tires last half as long as E series. He had driveshaft failure, rear failure, transmission problems, and there's a problem with the frame cracking. Both of these owners were considering getting a lawyer (good luck). The responses on this thread are from people who put on few miles in a year. The true test of this vehicle is with us expediters, and the Transit is a piece of junk compared to true tested E series. Ford was insane to stop making it. When my current E series van needs replacing I'm getting a GMC van, which I never owned, but its gotta be better than the nightmare of owning a Transit.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:35 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
There comes a vehicle with a "love it or hate it" vibe, the full-sized Transit seeming to be heading that way. I've acquired another E-Series, this time a '05 extended body Club Wagon variant which began life as a wheelchair transport. Besides the extremely low mileage (140K) having another raised roof with extended height doors with the trusted chassis/drive train combo I like made this on irresistible. Price doesn't figure into a lot of my buying choices but at $5500 I did well, even IMHO.

What's probably frustrating to most of us E-Series owners who've moved to a Transit is the issue of DIY maintenance. With some of the hassles described so far my trust of dealerships hasn't increased one bit---again the possibility of being held captive by a manufacturer or a dealer is NOT something I'd look forward to experiencing.

There are thousands upon thousands of Transit's running without issues---I can't help but envy the rear cargo areas for my needs. Those with a trouble-free Transit are most likely happy with the change, those detailing constant or numerous issues with the same vehicle not so much.

So for now I'm set vehicle-wise until death or retirement comes a callin'. Given the nature of the current girlfriend death would be more easily afforded! (I do joke about her---she's hardworking, fairly frugal and knows where our respective funds come from.)

Old 01-28-2018, 01:58 PM
YoGeorge
Postmaster
YoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud of
Hey JWA....long time no see and I hope all is well with you! As for Transits, I see no reason why they would not be possible to service although I admit I have not looked at what it takes to get at the engine.

The usual brakes, oil/filter, coolant, etc should not be a problem. As for your mistrust of dealers, my contention is that you have not found the right dealer and taken the time to bond with the svc manager. My routine is to buy vehicles new or off-lease used but under warranty, and take them in for oil changes (which are usually a loss leader) and use that time to build a rapport with the service writers and service manager. When I have had larger problems, they respect that I understand my vehicle and its issues, and in a number of cases they have gone to bath with me for warranty work or discounted work for me as a courtesy.

Of course, this works best with established dealers who have service folks who stay in their jobs for years (meaning the dealer treats them well also).

Take care,
George

Old 01-29-2018, 05:43 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
YoGeorge I'm well and fine, to the limits that's possible anyway.

Hope you and yours are good or better as well!

Old 01-29-2018, 08:40 AM
YoGeorge
Postmaster
YoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud of
All is well, got no Fords but thinking about an Edge, maybe a Sport, for a daily driver...but more likely waiting for the new Bronco. Happy New Year!

Old 05-07-2019, 06:49 PM
BRYANJJ
New User
BRYANJJ is starting off with a positive reputation.
Transit catalyst problems

Originally Posted by JWA View Post
May eventually---in the next 2-3 years--start looking for a gently used Transit, cargo only version for work purposes. The cubic footage space along with taller roof options make one quite attractive, I'm just a bit too cheap to spring for a brand new just now.

I don't and would never tow anything so that isn't a concern however I do add about 2,300# of tool boxes, shelves, plywood floor, insulation and materials. That cargo weight fluctuates upward 200-300# maximum but only for a day or more at most.

Any standard features you wish you would have added if bought new, any that have proven a bit useless?

So those who've moved from an E-Series to the Transit----any real downsides to that change? Apart from minor glitches and such does the Transit fit the need, is it a real improvement in the areas we own vans for?

Love to hear any impressions or experiences---TIA.

Are you ready ???? $3600 cost to replace the cats on my 2015 transit. It has only 90,000 miles on it. The 3.5L ecoboosts have misses that dump the fuel into the exhaust and ruin the cats. The cylinder miss happens up around 50 to 70 mph when trying to pass someone, then it dumps the raw fuel into the exhaust and ruins the cats. You would think you could run a little on a cylinder miss without effecting the cats for a few days, NOPE !!!! Ford has decided to put the bare minimum pollution grabbing metals in the cats. THEY ARE JUNK. To top it off, they have to rip the sub-frame apart to get to them and the control arms on the steering. And guess what broke in this process ???? Both control arms were destroyed in ripping the sub-frame apart. The original estimate of $2300 quickly ramped up to $3600 with the control arms being difficult. The dealer has done these cat replacements about every other week. The mechanic whom I trust and is very knowledgeable says the design sucks. STAY AWAY FROM THE TRANSIT

Old 05-07-2019, 07:47 PM
2002exPSD
Elder User
2002exPSD has a good reputation on FTE.2002exPSD has a good reputation on FTE.2002exPSD has a good reputation on FTE.
Read earlier on. We have had nothing but problems with our EcoBoost transits. They are junk. Have the 8 year 150k mile extended warranty from ford (not aftermarket) and everything that has broke hasn't been covered by the warranty. It's a huge disappointment. We have between 120k-140k on our EcoBoost transits now. Ford finally came out with a fix for the air filters ingesting water while driving in the rain but go figure it's not covered by the warranty. It's a $687 fix. Throttle bodys go out every 30k miles (not covered by warranty). We've had the turbos changed out multiple times due to the air filters disinigrating from getting wet and getting sucked into the turbo(not covered under warranty). They like to call that lack of maintenance. All of our transits have factory tow packages but we cant tow trailers legally. If you plug the lights from any trailer into the factory connector then it frys the trailer lighting module and blows the brake light fuses(not covered under warranty). Driveshaft center support bearing goes out every 20k-30k miles(this is one of the few things that is covered). And last but not least good luck changing the battery, it's under the passengers front seat beneath the floor. We have to change them quite often. When the transits gas pedal wont respond when you start the van that means the battery needs to be replaced. Even though it starts perfect, a 6-8 month old battery needs to be replaced or else you cant drive the van.

Our 3.7 naturally aspirated transits have been nearly flawless. But they are 250's without trailer hitches. They still have the center support bearing issue.

With all the bad luck we have had with EcoBoost we will not be purchasing these engines again. This is the same scenario we were in with the 22 ford 6.0 diesel trucks we had. We pre ordered 5 transit 350 LWB AWD Van's with the 3.5 PFDI naturally aspirated. For new vehicles we recently purchased we have (3) 2016 ram hemi 1500 trucks with around 130k miles zero issues, (2) 2017 f250 6.7 diesels with a few electrical issues, (3) 2019 f350 6.7 diesels zero issues and (6) 2015-2017 f650/f750's with Cummins 6.7 and ford 6.7 very few issues.