6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

First oil change with EZ oil drain valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 10:05 PM
tracyclifton
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First oil change with EZ oil drain valve

When I did my first oil change I installed the EZ oil drain valve.

Amazon.com: EZ-106 EZ Oil Drain Valve with removable Hose End Combo: Automotive Amazon.com: EZ-106 EZ Oil Drain Valve with removable Hose End Combo: Automotive

This was my first oil change using the valve. I have to say that in 30+ years of changing oil, it was the easiest change ever. I used 3 one gallon apple juice jugs with a short piece of tubing running from the valve to catch the oil. The only problem I had was a strong wind blowing the drip when I punctured the oil filter and it was draining into my pan. I had to do a little cleanup because of that, but I didn't spill one drop from the drain valve. And simply turning off the valve when The jug gets full and switching out the jug is priceless. If anyone is doing their own oil changes and haven't installed one of these, you are missing the boat.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:50 AM
David_ski
Senior User
Originally Posted by tracyclifton
When I did my first oil change I installed the EZ oil drain valve.
I have used Fumoto valves on 2 of my 3 vehicles. I plan to add the Fumoto F-106N to my F250 at it's first oil change. It does make draining the pan very simple and less messy.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:32 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
I've now got and EZ Drain on my 6.7 thanks to this forum too. I love how easy it is as well. I cut a piece of an old washing machine hose to drain mine with. Now, no more fussing with a big tub of diesel oil. Just take a few old jugs under the truck and fill them until full, then grab another. I always make sure the oil filter will loosen, then take a punch and knock a hole in the bottom of it to drain most of the oil from it, then changes it when empty. Much better than handling a heavy, hot, full filter with greasy hands.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:12 AM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
No doubt that makes it clean and easy. oil changes are no problem for me I use a 5 gallon pail since I leveled the front of the truck it seems to be the perfect height to catch all the oil. Once again not as clean as that but I have a recovery tank for all my equipment on the farm I have a guy come get the oil every 2 months or whenever the tank is full. Now unfortunately not to rain on your parade there's only one bad thing about those things and I don't know how true it is a young guy on the job with Chevy told me he lost the engine which I can't imagine happening, just from some engine oil loss apparently a rock hit this unit cracked in half obviously dropping oil out the bottom why he didn't notice anything from his engine or a light come on I have no idea Chevy Colorado not covered by warranty. This is why I never put one on especially going out on the farm with all the rocks and trees I often worry they'll puncture the oil pan or the filter anyway just one more Target to hit underneath I suppose take care

Old 06-05-2016, 05:37 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
I love mine. No more dropping the plug in the oil catching pan. Now if they could only do something about the messy filter removal.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:16 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
I like my EZ drain. I have a long hose I put on the end as well and start the drain into a 15 qt drain pan.

My hose is long enough I put the pan under the filter and remove that.

To remove the filter I use a 1 gal milk jug that cut the top off, leaving the handle area. I then put that under the filter as I remove it. When the filter comes off it just goes in the jug.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:21 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
To remove the filter I use a 1 gal milk jug that cut the top off, leaving the handle area. I then put that under the filter as I remove it. When the filter comes off it just goes in the jug.[/QUOTE]

Great idea. You would think I could have figured that out but I'm not the sharpest knife. I will try that next time. Thank you sir.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:26 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,186 Likes on 570 Posts
EZ Drain is indeed the way to go. On the filter, I just punch mine with a large long screwdriver and let it drain into a small pan. When it's done draining, I unscrew it with no mess.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:59 AM
montauk1
Mountain Pass
Haven't changed the oil in my 6.7 yet, but in my last truck I would let the truck sit for a few hours, or overnite, then get the filter to hand tight put a one gal. zip lock bag over the filter unscrew it into the bag.
John

Old 06-05-2016, 07:59 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I just stick an empty coffee container under mine. No cutting and no mess.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:05 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,667 Likes on 2,740 Posts
Love those drain valves. I even put one on my radiator. On my current truck if the transmission drain plug wasn't pointing straight down I would put one there too.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:48 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lol, I cut the top off the rain X washer fluid jug. Funny how we all do the same thing but with different jugs....

When I cut the top off the jug, I invert it so it's like a funnel, when it's done I screw off the oil filter.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:39 AM
humpbackshooter
Freshman User
Have any of ya had any problems with these valves?

Hump.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:42 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Not at all.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:49 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,667 Likes on 2,740 Posts
Zero problems with the five that I've installed.

Quick Reply: First oil change with EZ oil drain valve