Sponsored by:

No Interior Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 08:53 PM
jhcorley
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Interior Lights

I have searched and most have not replied back to what repaired the problem.

Today while the drivers door was open the interior lights started flickering and then all interior lights went off. Looked at the manual and do not see interior light fuse or relay. Also while looking at the manual, the lights flickered a few times and I could hear clicking behind the steering column. They lights never came back on. The interior "roller" switch is in the correct position, its also does not turn on the interior lights.

I have also lubricated all the latches. What can I check or do to troubleshoot?

Thanks

Old 06-03-2016, 12:27 AM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
There IS a fuse for the interior lights, I had to pull it a few months back when the roller switch failed on me. I'll check through my list and see if I can find it again, IIRC it's tied in with a few other items.

Other than that I do not know what else it could be... Other than a bad ground or something got overloaded due to a failing bulb... I hate electrical gremlins.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:55 AM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Fuse 14 in the under dash fuse box. It's a 15A fuse, second row third fuse down.

Does dome lights, running boards, windows, mirrors and glove box light.

On that note, does the glove box light come on still or no? How about the other items - still functioning? May help narrow down the issue if the fuse is fine, or point you in the right direction.

Also, relay 1 controls the interior lamps. It's in the same box, top most relay (one of two smaller ones). May be worth checking that as well.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:43 AM
jhcorley
Senior User
My #14 fuse is for Daytime running lamps, but pulled and checked. It was good.

I do not have a reley that is labeled anything about light, but swapped a few around and now change.

When I get home I will run through the systems to see what else isn't working.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:06 AM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Wasn't really expecting there to be a massive electrical difference between 2001 and 2003, gee thanks Ford... ugh.

Sorry it didn't line up and cross over bud, that sucks

Old 06-03-2016, 03:48 PM
jhcorley
Senior User
Checked a few things;

Door ajar light comes on when doors open, push button lamps work and the "bing" sounds happens when a door is open. But still no interior lights. I need some help for sure.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:34 AM
jhcorley
Senior User
Does anyone know if my interior lights run though the PATS SCP control module? Looks to be part of the security system. The clicking sound seems to comes from it, it's hard to pinpoint where it is because it's so erratic.

Originally Posted by jhcorley
Checked a few things;

Door ajar light comes on when doors open, push button lamps work and the "bing" sounds happens when a door is open. But still no interior lights. I need some help for sure.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:36 AM
jhcorley
Senior User

[QUOTE=jhcorley;16333878]Does anyone know if my interior lights run though the PATS SCP control module?

OR

There seems to be 3 relays behind the pull out cup holders on the dash. Clicking is coming from that area when the lights flicker. Just need to pull that panel. Back to the search function to remove it.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:56 AM
Aaron_Jones
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry I saw your post 2 days ago and I wanted to help but had issues that took up my whole day. Then yesterday I was gone all day and did not have time to get to this post. Today I would like to lend a hand if possible. The first thing we need to do is get the electrical schematic of your interior lights out of the Tech Folder here in our forum. also we need to post the fuse box layout for your year truck and it most likely will be in the owners manual. I´m currently at work but will be checking back to see if you were able to locate those items.

Here is a thread similar No Interior Power but your year truck is 2 years younger, but you can see the concept. this way we can all see the details and the actual factuals of the situation.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:45 AM
jhcorley
Senior User
A_J

I looked at the fuse panel and I have nothing labeled interior lights. I will look in tech folder for schematic. The 2001 and 2003 are different in how the fuse panel is layed out.

I will read through the link below, but while troubleshooting it seems to be a set of relays behind the pull out cup holders on the lower dash seem to be the issue. I just need to confirm what those relays are for?

Thanks

Originally Posted by Aaron_Jones
Sorry I saw your post 2 days ago and I wanted to help but had issues that took up my whole day. Then yesterday I was gone all day and did not have time to get to this post. Today I would like to lend a hand if possible. The first thing we need to do is get the electrical schematic of your interior lights out of the Tech Folder here in our forum. also we need to post the fuse box layout for your year truck and it most likely will be in the owners manual. I´m currently at work but will be checking back to see if you were able to locate those items.

Here is a thread similar No Interior Power but your year truck is 2 years younger, but you can see the concept. this way we can all see the details and the actual factuals of the situation.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:31 AM
Aaron_Jones
Mountain Pass
I'm at work and I did search on my phone and found a blurry layout of a 2003 Ford Excursion XLT (which I would imagine the layouts would be the same, hoping anyway) if I'm looking at this right I see F2.35 fuse, which is a 10 amp, goes to Instrument Cluster / Interior Lamps.

Which doesn't mean a whole lot. It could be the a relay issue as you said... Let's first check the fuse. If it is good that just means that the power is going out from the fuse distribution. Then it is the next stop where the it goes to and that will take the schematic to tell us a little more. I will check for it as well.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:22 AM
Aaron_Jones
Mountain Pass
Your owners manual says Instrument Cluster on page 159, but it is really both the Instrument Cluster and Interior lighting. We can see that from the schematics below

Here are the prints to look at to see Fuse 35 (F2.35)Distributuion:

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=38360
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=38361

Old 06-04-2016, 11:18 AM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
For sure two of the relays behind the cupholders do the power windows. At least they do on the 2000-2002.

Agree, schematics are what are needed overall. If it's just the dome lights that aren't working and everything else is fine.... Courtesy lights, cluster, glove box light, etc then it's a fairly isolated problem.

By chance have you popped the bulbs out to see if one burnt and shorted things?

Old 06-04-2016, 12:52 PM
jhcorley
Senior User
Ok, went out to test and now the lights turn on as the should. I did check fuse #35 and it is for instrument cluster and interior lights. It is only labeled as instrument cluster in my owners manual. When I pushed the fuse back in I heard the clicking sound and its coming from behind the guage cluster. So what behind the cluster making the clicking?

Also would like to know what the relays behind the lower dash piece do too?

Thanks again!

Old 06-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Aaron_Jones
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by jhcorley
Ok, went out to test and now the lights turn on as the should. I did check fuse #35 and it is for instrument cluster and interior lights. It is only labeled as instrument cluster in my owners manual. When I pushed the fuse back in I heard the clicking sound and its coming from behind the guage cluster. So what behind the cluster making the clicking?

Also would like to know what the relays behind the lower dash piece do too?

Thanks again!
I would put money the relays behind cluster go the interior lights and one to the battery saver relay.

Quick Reply: No Interior Lights