1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your Super Duty today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 10:11 AM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I bought a 2014 F250 6.2 CCLB w 4.3 locking diff!
Then I sold my 2001 F250 v10 within 2 days of advertising. It was in great shape and the 2nd buyer who saw it paid close to asking price.

I love this new one. It is an xlt but I am shocked how easy it is to hook up additional stuff. All the wiring is in place for it. It has 49K on it and it';s been in de desert all it's life. NO RUST.
Still looking for some rear view camera system. Any tips? It has the basic sync system now.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:08 AM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by getn2focus
Wasn't today, rather over the past few weeks... Replaced my headlights. Changed the backup lights to LED. Slowing migrating the rest of the lights to LED. That's where I started. Installed my Pioneer head unit and backup camera. Removed the plastic bed liner to assess the bed condition for future spray in style liner. Had to power wash the bed. There was rocks, glass, dirt and sand just sitting underneath the plastic liner. Cleaned that out and power washed the bed out. The bed was still wet when I took the pictures.

After examining the bed, It's looking like it'll need to be replaced. The rails underneath are rusted through as well... In time anyways.

Before changing.

After changing.

Halos and LEDs wired up. Hard to tell here.

Halos and LEDs at night.

The LED backup light. Hard to tell it's any brighter or not.

My Pioneer head unit and backup camera image. It's wired so I can turn the camera on while driving, from the head unit itself as well.

Bed liner removed.

The rocks and dust/dirt/sand/glass I removed from the truck. That was underneath the liner.

Rusted through by the drivers side fender well.

Rusted through on the driver side.
Ah.. the ole bed liner dilemma.
I'm still torn between spray in and a solid liner. I sometimes throw big chunks of wood in the back so it would dent up the bed a lot. It's pretty dry out here so probably go that way. Not much rust in the desert. Might get the dualliner stuff. It's supposed to drain from under the liner.

Old 04-27-2019, 03:44 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by geekwithoutacause
Ah.. the ole bed liner dilemma.
I'm still torn between spray in and a solid liner. I sometimes throw big chunks of wood in the back so it would dent up the bed a lot. It's pretty dry out here so probably go that way. Not much rust in the desert. Might get the dualliner stuff. It's supposed to drain from under the liner.
my old truck had a drop in liner in it... when i pulled it the bed was still like new and the truck was 20 years old when i pulled the liner... ive always felt where alot of the liner problems happen is on trucks where the liners not secured to the bed and just allowed to "float" in the bed... also if you have a cap over the bed itll also keep the rain and stuff from getting under the liner as well..

my current truck i dunno when the liner was put in the truck (figure one of the times it was traded in since im the 3rd owner) when i pulled the liner the first time i found a bunch of mulch and gravel under the liner.. bed was warped in some spots and the floor was a bit scratched up at the time but wasnt rusting yet... so i just cleaned it out and put the liner back in... took it back out last year to look under it again and found it had started to rust... sanded and wire wheeled the bad spots in the bed and covered the floor in new paint to stop the rusting.. which over top of that liner i just have a tanneau cover which was on the truck when i got it as well... whenever i get around to fixing that warped front rail ill do some kind of roll/spray in liner..

Old 05-07-2019, 11:33 AM
1badcj8
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This last weekend

Lifted mine 2" in front 1" in the rear and put 34's (285/75R17's) on it...

Old 05-07-2019, 11:36 AM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
I cut off the front valence. Taped it off w 2 inch wide tape. Then used my dremel w cut off wheels. Didn't take the valence off the truck. Done in 10 minutes. Used some sandpaper and a block. Easy ! Then I took the prius catchers off. Looks much better.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:07 AM
Akley88
Cargo Master
Received 226 Likes on 172 Posts
put in my super nova 4.0 headlights.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:30 PM
Long Haul
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currently painting my pillar gauge pod to match..I pulled it out of the 2011 before trade and figured why not use it still have all the gauges.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:38 PM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
Serviced the Transfer case w some fresh Mercon LV. Then I drained transmission fluid, dropped the pan, replaced the filter and filled her up with some Mercon LV.
Next up: Front and rear differentials.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:59 AM
Njstern87
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Changed the lower steering shaft assembly to correct play between steering wheel and box.

All the stuff coming out to access steering shaft

ARE box has seen better days, wire brush and paint before reinstall.

Parts a flying

Old shaft out

New shaft ready to go in

Old 05-21-2019, 10:06 AM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Njstern87
Changed the lower steering shaft assembly to correct play between steering wheel and box.

All the stuff coming out to access steering shaft

ARE box has seen better days, wire brush and paint before reinstall.

Parts a flying

Old shaft out

New shaft ready to go in
The shaft assembly itself had play in it?

Old 05-26-2019, 11:01 AM
Njstern87
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by geekwithoutacause
The shaft assembly itself had play in it?
Yes, on mine the shaft had play, I dont know what the PO did to the truck but they managed to beat the front end to nothing. Up to the shaft i had done all four ball joints, all four tie rods, the pitman arm, a red head box, new end links and sway bar bushings, and still had play. When I pulled the steering shaft out I found the end under the dash where the two shafts bolt together had rounded out some and was allowing play between the wheel and the box. Now that I have the play figured out and new tires its off for an alignment in the next few days.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:06 AM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Njstern87
Yes, on mine the shaft had play, I dont know what the PO did to the truck but they managed to beat the front end to nothing. Up to the shaft i had done all four ball joints, all four tie rods, the pitman arm, a red head box, new end links and sway bar bushings, and still had play. When I pulled the steering shaft out I found the end under the dash where the two shafts bolt together had rounded out some and was allowing play between the wheel and the box. Now that I have the play figured out and new tires its off for an alignment in the next few days.
Well, good to know. Another thing to check when people have steering issues.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:07 AM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
Replaced all 4 shocks with Rancho 9000xl's. Easy job.
Also changed out rear diff fluid. It was needed. Easy job as well. Just stinks to high heaven ! whew.
Next up; front diff fluid.

Old 05-26-2019, 01:39 PM
Kevin Syler
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring Fix

I had a dome light and door ajar dash light that refused to go off when the door was closed or the ignition switch was turned on. I posted a plea on the forum two weeks ago for help but no one answered. So, I fixed it and now they both go off as designed.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:38 PM
bluovl
Laughing Gas
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin Syler
I had a dome light and door ajar dash light that refused to go off when the door was closed or the ignition switch was turned on. I posted a plea on the forum two weeks ago for help but no one answered. So, I fixed it and now they both go off as designed.
I have the same problem on a 2002 F550. What did you do, Pray Tell.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Super Duty today?