1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your Super Duty today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 02:01 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
luckily our utility trailer is a great little work horse.
Bought a used Meyer 7' 6" Lot Pro plow with wings, the wings I had to remove to fit the plow in our trailer..
Now I get to buy the truckside parts to use it.
Luckily, not planning to leave our private community with the plow on, so I don't need to worry about DOT light rules, just a simple switch for headlight!!

Old 01-13-2018, 06:12 PM
73F700
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Installed a new-to-me weatherguard toolbox
Disabled Seatbelt Chime
Checked Rear Diff Fluid Level & Color
Ordered new keys on amazon - Upgrading from the 2008 Key & Fob to the 2011+ style with buttons on the key itself

Old 01-14-2018, 01:09 AM
acecase
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling a pine down

This pine had broken off about four foot up and was leaning on two other small trees. Those two small trees were in turn keeping it off my power line. I ran a ½ cable to a ⅝ choker and through a block to my truck. This allowed me to double the line pull while still having my truck completely out of the way. It worked perfectly. I did not even have to pull; just let the brake off in 2 low.

Bluck it.

Here's the YouTube link

Last edited by acecase; 01-14-2018 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Video not playing
Old 01-14-2018, 01:53 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Completed the installation of a 6.0L trans cooler. Followed the write up by a member on this board (forgot name). Pretty straight forward. Routing the hoses took the most time as the 6.0L cooler's lines exit on bottom and OEM cooler exits on top. Used 1" split loom to protect hoses as they pass behind bumper and go around various items as they make there way to under engine for hard line connections. Added about a pint of fluid. Cooling test will be in the summer pulling my 10K trailer in the SoCal desert when ambient temps are between 95F-105F.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:17 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Today I spent the big bucks on some new rear lighting. I had one of my Tuff Lights mount crack off the bracket. While walking around Walmart today I seen a set of these sitting on the shelf. About 12 bucks cheaper than Tractor Support. Look just as nice as Rigids without the cost. $42.00 total with the tax.

If you are interested, the product is called Auto Drive 3 inch LED spot light. 1100 Lumens 4 LEDs 12/24 V Compatible. IP67 water and dust proof. They were bright in the store and I was hitting a far wall with them since they had a test button. So I figured I would give them a shot for replacing the broken one on my truck. They look good in the back but required some additional parts from Home Depot as in a small 3/8" x 1" X 3/8" thick nylon spacer and longer bolts to clear the bumper. After a couple of wire cuts. Then some crimps. Then some E tape. Finally got them working. As a matter of fact, I think the one Tuff Light that failed had a bad circuit since it would only work in damp weather. These fired right up. The difference between the old one and the new set was night and day. Here are some pictures.

Other than that, the truck is going to be my ride for the next couple of days since the Explorer is in the shop. So I made sure the truck was functional before my wife or myself uses it over the next couple of days.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:48 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Installed a set of Michelin LTX MS 295/70/18's. Little taller, little wider, much better than the original Continentals.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:42 PM
Mastertinner
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ssunit1
Installed a set of Michelin LTX MS 295/70/18's. Little taller, little wider, much better than the original Continentals.
Can you post a couple pics please. And was there an agent on fuel mileage? I'm thinking about getting these tires myself.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:28 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Mastertinner
Can you post a couple pics please. And was there an agent on fuel mileage? I'm thinking about getting these tires myself.
I give up, what is "an agent on fuel mileage"? Guessing mpg's??
These tries are 2" taller and 1" wider than the original 275/65's. I didn't get the 6.7 for its fuel economy and I got the tires for the weight rating.
Measuring mpg may be an issue because the speedometer and odometer are set to the smaller circumstance of the originals. Guessing the measurements should be relatively close so we'll see.
Its late right now so I'll do pictures tomorrow and post them.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:59 PM
Mastertinner
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I give up, what is "an agent on fuel mileage"? Guessing mpg's??
Ha. Next time i should proof read my message. But anyway, I was thinking with these tires being fairly light for there size, they might not actually affect mpg's too bad. Maybe compared to my heavier stock 275/70's it could almost improve mpg's. Not that I'm looking to improve mpg's, but it would be a plus.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:58 PM
EDC8008
Fleet Mechanic
Received 359 Likes on 131 Posts
Changed coolant and radiator caps using my new Radiator-Vac, $125.00 at the local NAPA. Pretty well worked as advertised

After 20 minutes at 1100 RPM still not up to temp so another 30 minutes @ 35 to 45 mph and she finally climbed up to her typical temps. All is good.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:20 AM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas

Tires fill the wheel well pretty nice. My wife noticed they are close to the edge of the wheel well so I guess I just justified getting flares.
I've always been told that taller / wider tires will negatively affect mpg's. If I was driving a Prius and my mpg went down I would be upset. I'm not so I'm not. With the larger circumference (guess I should proof read also) I expect the speedo and odometer to be off a little. Haven't decided if I'm going to get them reprogramed at the dealer. Just need to remember that I'm going about 5mpg faster at 70mph than the dash reads.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:12 AM
User 122821
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tires fill the wheel well pretty nice. My wife noticed they are close to the edge of the wheel well so I guess I just justified getting flares.
I've always been told that taller / wider tires will negatively affect mpg's. If I was driving a Prius and my mpg went down I would be upset. I'm not so I'm not. With the larger circumference (guess I should proof read also) I expect the speedo and odometer to be off a little. Haven't decided if I'm going to get them reprogramed at the dealer. Just need to remember that I'm going about 5mpg faster at 70mph than the dash reads.

I lurk around here a lot, and have seen others talking about the speedometer calibration here before. What you're saying makes sense, if you have a bigger tire it will rotate less times and therefore the spedo will be slow.

I changed my 2015 mustangs gearbox to 3.73 from 3.55 a few weeks ago, and was surprised when the tech told me that the spedo is in fact calibrated by GPS, and not the computer. I downloaded an app called speedometer from the app store and sure enough, my phone read exactly what the odometer did. My Garmin GPS also shows my speed, and it too matched my speedometer after the switch. I'm not sure if the Super Dutys are the same way or not, maybe this was added after your model year. Just a thought

Old 01-17-2018, 08:25 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 13CA350
I lurk around here a lot, and have seen others talking about the speedometer calibration here before. What you're saying makes sense, if you have a bigger tire it will rotate less times and therefore the spedo will be slow.

I changed my 2015 mustangs gearbox to 3.73 from 3.55 a few weeks ago, and was surprised when the tech told me that the spedo is in fact calibrated by GPS, and not the computer. I downloaded an app called speedometer from the app store and sure enough, my phone read exactly what the odometer did. My Garmin GPS also shows my speed, and it too matched my speedometer after the switch. I'm not sure if the Super Dutys are the same way or not, maybe this was added after your model year. Just a thought
His truck is affected by tire size. Your mustang would not be affected by a gear swap regardless. The speedo uses(or has previously) measurement off the tone ring which is bolted to the ring gear. Tire diameter is the only thing that affects it.

OP, Before having your computer flashed, you may want to check it with gps. My trucks speedo was fast from the factory and plus size tires actually got it close. But regardless, I don't think the dealer can help you. They can only adjust for factory size tires. When I went to 37's, I just had to go with the largest tire available in the computer, which was 34.1 inches. My speedo is still only 5% slow. There is no option to enter revolutions per mile.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:28 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron94150
His truck is affected by tire size. Your mustang would not be affected by a gear swap regardless. The speedo uses(or has previously) measurement off the tone ring which is bolted to the ring gear. Tire diameter is the only thing that affects it.

OP, Before having your computer flashed, you may want to check it with gps. My trucks speedo was fast from the factory and plus size tires actually got it close. But regardless, I don't think the dealer can help you. They can only adjust for factory size tires. When I went to 37's, I just had to go with the largest tire available in the computer, which was 34.1 inches. My speedo is still only 5% slow. There is no option to enter revolutions per mile.
When I had mine reflashed I was standing next to the tech. He was having issues finding my tire size but one of the fields he can fill out is revolutions per mile. Look on tire rack and take that info with you. It will be dead on if you use that.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:38 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
What year is your truck? It was available on the earlier models. It was not available in my truck(2016), I was standing right there with a certified ford tech that now runs our truck shop at work(our shop can do warranty work on our fleet). Same reason all the hand held tuners don't have the option for the revs per mile on 11-16.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Super Duty today?