6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

New Purchase, Can't pass CA smog. P0401, P132b.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 12:39 AM
herojeep
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Purchase, Can't pass CA smog. P0401, P132b.

Long story short, got bamboozled in a sight unseen FL to CA purchase. 03' Excursion 6.0 supposed to be 70k miles everything good, everything complete. Need to pass CA smog for change of ownership.

First surprise was truck had dead batteries, tons of codes. Bought two new batteries, cleared all codes. Second surprise, it's straight piped as soon as the downpipe reaches the floor board to the back of the passenger door. Hustled to get new stock exhaust. Smog shop said egr monitor not ready. Drive and come back. Day of driving and back, same thing. Two weeks of driving and back same thing.

While driving, degas puking. Thinking I need full bulletproof. End up testing cap and find it doesn't hold a pound. New Ford cap installed and settles at the "new" high mark. Using my AE I find deltas are within 13-15 while engine is warming up but stay within 2-4 once at temp.

When puking, start learning EGR stuff and pull valve. Moist but not steam cleaned look. Gaskets chewed up so replaced. Also, oil level was 2.5 quarts high, drained to get back to normal. Read and told by shop could be oil vapor in intake/EGR from overfull. Oil does not have fuel smell or show coolant with paper test.

Huge surprise, while researching bulletproofing I find engine is an 05'! ****, what's the mileage on this thing.

So I've been researching and practicing drive cycles but the two codes won't clear! P0401 and P132b. Now I'm wondering if this thing has an EGR block but no way to find out without pulling it all apart.

Please help! I've got a month left on the temporary registration and I'm set to pull my trailer up to Oregon in July. Do I need to take to dealer to check flash or anything else? Should I just take it to a good diesel shop? I'm in Sacramento and had good luck with my 7.3 at Imler.

Also looking for a monitor and SCT tunes but not understanding beyond personal preference. Would and Edge CTS insight with SCT tunes be good or go SCT monitor and tunes. Preloaded tunes vs custom tunes. Running think stock engine with stock trans, 42" tires. Daily driver and family vacation rig so long 12+ hour drives and towing 10k trailer. First priority is passing smog though.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:40 AM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well the P132b is a turbo performance error code. Usually caused by an exhaust leak at one of the following: y pipe to turbo inlet or one of the flex joints on the up pipes.

You need to pick up something to read live data as the truck is running. Then again the scanner wouldn't link up do that should be your first fix.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:52 AM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
P0401 is Egr code typically thrown when something in the Egr system is whacked, but usually the Egr valve is not the problem!

If the Egr is stealth deleted and the truck is running a stock program tune it will toss a code.

You have a few things going on and it might be time to get a reputable shop to help you out or maybe there is a member close by that can help you out!

Old 05-31-2016, 09:57 AM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
It is also possible your turbo is sticking causing issues.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:12 AM
herojeep
Senior User
For the turbo, no soot anywhere, considered the vanes are sticking and doing a cleaning, heard turbo codes are usually p299. Also heard egr will not throw a turbo code but turbo will throw egr codes.

I really doubt the egr valve is issue but back of my mind is stealth egr delete.

I have AE so what specifically should I be monitoring? I've been watching Delta's, all egr activity mostly.

Last edited by herojeep; 05-31-2016 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Spellling
Old 05-31-2016, 11:38 AM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Map, Ebp, Vgt,egr demand and movement, boost, ficm voltage high and low.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:00 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Imler is who I'd recommend -- probably the best w/i a hundred miles. So make sure you don't breath a word about the engine swap to anybody related to the Smog shops or DMV.

Does the truck have an emissions sticker under the hood that says it complied with CA emissions when built/sold? If not there are only a couple of ways you can register it here at all... Generally if you move into the state and a couple variations on that...

CA (CARB) required a flash on all the pre-'06 trucks and it had to do with EGR -- my friend with an '04 had to take it in to Ford and have the flash put on before he could register the truck for that year -- he bought it new and in CA and lives in Nor cal too... Might want to make sure that isn't screwing you up at the Smog shop, the machines will not pass an engine w/o that flash...

Good luck -- we all hate the CA bureaucrats

Old 05-31-2016, 02:14 PM
FiveOJester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 242 Likes on 188 Posts
Is it just an 05 block or the whole enchirito? If they just did the block you are probably ok. If you've got everything else from the 05 and still have the 03 ECM that might be causing the issue?

International changed a bunch of stuff around between 03 and 05. Big things that could affect you are the throttle body in the intake and mass air-flow sensor. 03-04 had the throttle and MAF. 05 they got rid of the throttle and MAF, and then later in the year added the MAF back. Mine's a March 05 build with the MAF.

Post a picture of your engine bay and we should be able to tell pretty quickly.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:20 PM
herojeep
Senior User
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman
Map, Ebp, Vgt,egr demand and movement, boost, ficm voltage high and low.
What will I find these titled under AE? I can figure some out but didn't see them all when looking before. I'll look for the ranges when I get home on a regular computer, unless you've got them right now. I know Fcim was 47-48.

Imler has been good to me in the past. Already told DMV about the engine, they could care less since I had already paid reg fees. Definitely keeping mum to the smog shop.

Hood does have a CA emissions sticker so stuck there.

The passenger cover where says 05' has a qr code sticker on it. I was under the impression that sticker was placed after the flash. The Fcim still is from the 03 truck. Really wish I could read the serial off the engine to call Ford for the Vin it was assigned to.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:27 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by herojeep
What will I find these titled under AE? I can figure some out but didn't see them all when looking before. I'll look for the ranges when I get home on a regular computer, unless you've got them right now. I know Fcim was 47-48.

Imler has been good to me in the past. Already told DMV about the engine, they could care less since I had already paid reg fees. Definitely keeping mum to the smog shop.

Hood does have a CA emissions sticker so stuck there.

The passenger cover where says 05' has a bad code sticker on it. I was under the impression that sticker was placed after the flash. The Fcim still is from the 03 truck. Really wish I could read the serial off the engine to call Ford for the Vin it was assigned to.
Call Imler and ask if they can do the EGR flash, I'll just about guarantee it isn't in there. There is a guy in Shingle Springs area that is good (Ford Trained Diesel Tech), and he can Flash it too: Fords Only is the shop name, owner is Russ Murphy (530) 295-1200 -- about the only two places around I'd take mine to...

Old 05-31-2016, 04:35 PM
herojeep
Senior User
I'll try and load a picture tonight. I know it does have the maf, passenger valve cover has sensor up front, square egr cooler.

Imler is two weeks out for an appointment. They said they could do a reflash on the pcm but weren't sure about an egr specific flash.

I really appreciate the help y'all.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:10 PM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
So just on a side note what kind of lift are you running with 42" tires? I have a 4" lift and a levelling kit with 35"s and they still rub. Also must have some pretty wicked gears to be pulling with tires that tall. Good luck.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:34 PM
herojeep
Senior User
I guess its 8" springs with 4" hangers. 22.5 Alcoas with semi tires. Dropping off for 4.88s this weekend at River City Diff. One more thing the seller didnt do that was supposed to be done when i bought it. I am going to drop it 4" and add full air suspension later. Bushwackers have gone on the front and scheduled for the rear.

You can fit a lot more than 35's if you want, if you aren't afraid to cut. Check out my pictures or this video of my last excursion.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:42 PM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Holy crap that things a beast. Lol. Ya I have a few more years in the Ex before I get the sawzall out and get trimming but I'm sure it will happen eventually. Hope you get your problems worked out.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:32 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
To determine if your EGR Cooler is Blocked You will Check IAT#1 and #2

This truck has the Potential to Cost a lot more then you think right now

Those codes you post can be a Goose chase you get a Lazy mechanic Not doing proper troubleshoott or one needing a payday

who knows what they did to pieced that thing together

Do you know the shop??

Quick Reply: New Purchase, Can't pass CA smog. P0401, P132b.