1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Engine for a 1955 F100??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 11:20 AM
tuekwik
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine for a 1955 F100??

I'm thinking of buying a 1955 F100 as a project, it has no engine or tranny. What are my options, as far as engines goes, to choose from? Carb? FI? Easiest to mount??? Thanks.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:34 PM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
350 Chevy slots in there beautifully (he says as he ducks for cover)

Old 05-30-2016, 08:44 PM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Hmmm. 10 minutes have passed and no bites....disappointed

Old 05-30-2016, 09:11 PM
JakRak
Senior User
Aftermarket engine mounts are available for SBCs, Windsor Fords, FE-series (360, 390, 427, etc.) Fords, as well as big block 385-series 429s and 460s. These are bolt-in mounts with no chassis mods required. There are transmission mounts available as well that will allow you to drop in TH350 or C4/C6 behind your motor of choice.

Since the Y-block (239, 292) and flathead were both available in 53-56 trucks, you can get mounts for them as well. Finding those engines is a little harder, though.

As for "easy"...you can get stand alone EFI systems for just about anything now, so mating one up to either a small block Ford or Chevy mill will be pretty straightforward. For a factory-type swap, you could drop in an EFI 302 from a Fox body Mustang. Carbs are still an option.

This is by no means an exhaustive list. There are probably engine mounts out there for other motors that I haven't mentioned (big block Chevy, for example).

Old 05-30-2016, 09:12 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
I hear brand x is an easy install, parts are cheap and easy to get, but......

Old 05-30-2016, 10:02 PM
pholmes350
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really comes down to personal preference and cash. I went with a 215 six just because I got tired of seeing the SBC and SBF in everything.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:15 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
The engine bay is large enough to allow pretty much any engine to fit. The larger engines have some clearance issues with the headers around the steering gear. Back in the day folks use to install what ever was available. Now I think the "looks cool" factor influences engine installs. If you want to stay FORD a 302 or 351W with C4, C6 or AOD fits with minimal problems.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:18 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
A Y-Block is the only thing that will fit nicely.

Originally Posted by Bluey Zedoff
Hmmm. 10 minutes have passed and no bites....disappointed
Oh, it will come. It will be when you least expect it and from out of nowhere. You will be sitting down relaxing and eating your darkside cookies and BAM!

Old 05-31-2016, 09:31 AM
Mtphammer
Senior User
The FE motor mounts also allow a 300 inline six to be fitted as well.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:21 PM
tuekwik
Junior User
Thank you for all the responses! Was trying to keep it all Ford. Does a 302 go with a C4? Or can you mate a C6 to a 302? Or just easier to keep a 351 with a C6? Trying to keep my options open, as far as $$$ goes. I know I'm looking at a money pit.... lol

Old 05-31-2016, 12:27 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
C4 and C6 will go behind a 302.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:43 PM
JakRak
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mtphammer
The FE motor mounts also allow a 300 inline six to be fitted as well.
Thanks for posting this, it's good info to have.

And I love the Ford 300 six, it's a nice swap for folks who dig inliners.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:09 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluey Zedoff
350 Chevy slots in there beautifully (he says as he ducks for cover)
How dare you suggest the most popular, affordable, and available engine swap out there! That engine wasn't built by Ford! Blasphemy!
I, uh, also kinda appreciate how compact a small block chevy is when fitted with the short water pump and skinny v belts. The small bock Ford motors all look too long at the front end to me (ducks for cover with Bluey Zedoff).
On the other hand, I am really, really, bored of seeing small block chevy motors. If it works for you, by all means run one. Just don't open the hood and expect me to be excited (looks up from ducked position).

Originally Posted by Harrier
A Y-Block is the only thing that will fit nicely.
Or a 223.

Really it is about what you want. Start by asking yourself these questions (and other questions raised by other folks here):

Do you admire a stock truck? Do you lust after big power. As long as it runs are you happy keeping the hood closed?

Do you like to fabricate metal? Do you have a grinder, welder, metal brake, tubing bender, english wheel, hydraulic press, etc? I included a lot more equipment than you really need, but figured I would list a lot of nice stuff. Really if you are installing a later motor you only need the grinder and welder. The other stuff is nice to have.

How big is your budget? Some trucks get built with brand new crate Ford dual cam V8 motors. Some get built with the engine yanked out of a car that was sitting behind the barn. Both work if you plan it out and the parts are in good shape. Budget also plays a large part in the next question.

How much do you like electronics and wiring? This is a more realistic way of asking if you are going to run electronic fuel injection or carburetor. I like dead simple so I like carburetors. Other folks have the time, money, or both for fuel injection and don't mind the initial complication with getting everything operating properly. Unless you have a complete vehicle to rob the fuel injection parts, wiring harness, computers, etc from you are definitely going to spend more for EFI. Carburetors are almost always a lot less expensive than EFI.

What transmission do you want to use? Heavy duty four speed truck transmission, three-on-the-tree with overdrive, vintage automatic (these first three were factory options). Four on the floor muscle car transmission, T5, automatic overdrive? Almost any transmission can be made to work behind almost any engine, but there are cost and complications. Choosing an engine and transmission that were an option together from the factory makes things a lot easier, usually.

Sorry for the long post, but I like planning ahead. It minimizes unpleasant surprises later.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:05 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by JakRak
Thanks for posting this, it's good info to have.

And I love the Ford 300 six, it's a nice swap for folks who dig inliners.
You're very welcome. A healthy six is quite a sight, and sound to see.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:49 PM
AcesHigh
Junior User
If you go with the 302 (hurray! a Ford in a Ford, what a concept!) you can use either the c4 or c6, but be aware the differences in the flywheels, TC and bellhousings on the c4. What I went with was a c4, and a '95 mustang rear with disc brakes. It worked out perfect. By the time I was ready to have a driveshaft made, I took all my measurements to the pick and pull and found my driveshaft under a 4 door Crown Vic. Perfect fit, and since the Crown Vic 4 doors were mostly police cars, they had aluminum shafts. Less than half the weight of a conventional driveshaft, and can be polished!

Quick Reply: Engine for a 1955 F100??