Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2005 Escape 3.0L-Engine struggles under acceleration

Old 05-27-2016, 05:03 PM
sinjint
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Escape 3.0L-Engine struggles under acceleration

I have a 2005 3.0L Escape, 97K

Recently, the engine started struggling under moderate to heavy acceleration, doesn't shift to second (unless I release pressure on accelerator). The RPMS never exceed 3Kish. If I leave it in park I can rev the engine and it sounds normal. If really baby the accelerator it runs and shifts better but still not perfect. Check engine light came with OBD code p0405-EGR Sensor A Circuit Low. I replaced the EGR sensor, and still have the same issues.

Someone suggested the CATS may be plugged. To test it I could remove one of the oxygen sensors located underneath the car. (I have yet to remove the sensor).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:54 PM
Rustynice
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By the sounds of it to me either restricted cat or bad trans. How does it smell when you accelerate hard?

You could let it run and lay on the ground and see if the cats go cherry red or when it cold crawl under it and look for redish/blueish (signs the metal got real hot).

Old 05-30-2016, 02:52 AM
yardbird
Cargo Master
Received 473 Likes on 313 Posts
I posted this on another thread, sounds like your problem exactly.

The Escapes are well known for the front and rear cats to come apart and clog up the third cat that is just under the passenger seat.

The symptoms at first are lack of power and fuel mileage, which progressively gets worse until the engine will hardly run, and soon won't be able to pull itself down the road. This makes the transmission act crazy too.

If driven much like this, the EGR valve that is located on the drivers side of the engine will blow apart. When this happens you will hear air rushing out when accelerating.

The cats coming apart is a very common issue, especially if the car is driven with a mis-fire. They are very expensive to replace, and it is hard to clean the third cat out without taking it off and back flushing it.

The cheapest fix is to take both manifold/cat assemblies off and break all the remaining material out of them, unhook the third cat and back flush it with water and air.

You will have a check engine light after this. The fix for that is to get some spark plug anti-foulers, screw them into where the o2 sensors go, then screw the o2 sensors into the anti-foulers. This brings the sensors up mostly out of the exhaust stream and fools them into thinking everything is fine.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:53 PM
got2bjoester
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Anti-foulers... hmm.... LIKE IT!

Another easy test is to open up the flanged connection at the front of the main CAT and take a peek inside the CAT. You can also start and drive the vehicle a short distance to see of there is an improvement to the acceleration/transmission feel.

I would recommend you do not run for any real length of time with the exhaust opened up like that. Also, I would avoid using a "test tube" to replace the main CAT... you'll just end up plugging the muffler with failed front CAT debris.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:38 AM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by yardbird
I posted this on another thread, sounds like your problem exactly.

The Escapes are well known for the front and rear cats to come apart and clog up the third cat that is just under the passenger seat.

The symptoms at first are lack of power and fuel mileage, which progressively gets worse until the engine will hardly run, and soon won't be able to pull itself down the road. This makes the transmission act crazy too.

If driven much like this, the EGR valve that is located on the drivers side of the engine will blow apart. When this happens you will hear air rushing out when accelerating.

The cats coming apart is a very common issue, especially if the car is driven with a mis-fire. They are very expensive to replace, and it is hard to clean the third cat out without taking it off and back flushing it.

The cheapest fix is to take both manifold/cat assemblies off and break all the remaining material out of them, unhook the third cat and back flush it with water and air.

You will have a check engine light after this. The fix for that is to get some spark plug anti-foulers, screw them into where the o2 sensors go, then screw the o2 sensors into the anti-foulers. This brings the sensors up mostly out of the exhaust stream and fools them into thinking everything is fine.
Sounds like a plan. Any idea if would pass emission testing like this?

Old 06-01-2016, 05:53 PM
yardbird
Cargo Master
Received 473 Likes on 313 Posts
You won't pass a tailpipe test, but if there are no check engine lights, it will pass as long as all systems have gone through enough complete drive cycles.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:29 PM
scott91370
Fleet Mechanic
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
I think I had this same issue but the search is not working so I can't confirm. If so the ground wire on my egr solenoid had come loose inside the harness. I was able to rework it and get it working again, cleared the code and haven't had a CEL since.

EDIT: mi e was P0403 circuit malfunction - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l-circuit.html
Worth looking at but probably not the issue. Sorry.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:26 AM
got2bjoester
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My '01 is currently running without the front CAT, and I am getting no CEL or codes....
Since NY only scans the OBD for issues and does not do the tailpipe test, I pass.

The actual test your state requires may be different.

If I ever do have a code pop up, I'll try the anti-foulers for sure.