6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New injectors needed, fuel in crankcase

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 11:39 AM
wrdabney
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New injectors needed, fuel in crankcase

Dropped my '08 6.4 with 85,000 miles on it off this morning at Ford dealership because it was rough idling and the reduced engine power warning and engine light were on. They said one/some of the injectors were sticking and there was 3 gallons of fuel in the crankcase. They quoted me about $3,400 to replace all injectors. I have an easy care warranty on it so hopefully they will cover it. Is there any more damage that could have occurred from the fuel in the crankcase that I should try to get them to fix while it's in?

Edit: Just heard back from Ford. Easy Care doesn't consider this part of the power train warranty...what? How is this not power train?

Old 05-26-2016, 05:21 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Because when they crack the fuel rails they are probably going to find metal and that means fuel contamination.

Bad fuel isn't Ford's fault. And with how sensitive fuel systems are on modern diesels they are generally excluded from warranty. If they find no sign of contamination then that's different however and if I were you at that point I would start pushing for it to be covered.

If they do find metal, rust, or water and you have proof of proper filter maintenance using only Ford filters then you can go after a fuel station provided you keep a fuel log and receipts. And ofc consistently fill up at the same station. This is usually a very long process, insurance will go test the fuel from where you filled up and if they find contamination then you will get help with repair cost.

But the long story short is multiple bad injectors means water has probably found its way into the hp fuel system. And your $3400 repair might turn into an $8000 repair if this is the case... And it is in no way Ford's fault.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:46 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wrdabney
Dropped my '08 6.4 with 85,000 miles on it off this morning at Ford dealership because it was rough idling and the reduced engine power warning and engine light were on. They said one/some of the injectors were sticking and there was 3 gallons of fuel in the crankcase. They quoted me about $3,400 to replace all injectors. I have an easy care warranty on it so hopefully they will cover it. Is there any more damage that could have occurred from the fuel in the crankcase that I should try to get them to fix while it's in?

Edit: Just heard back from Ford. Easy Care doesn't consider this part of the power train warranty...what? How is this not power train?
I would suspect the high pressure fuel pump is leaking fuel into the crankcase before injectors causing the elevated oil level in a case this severe. This has always been the case on every 6.4L I saw with this condition. You could have injector issues however when an engine has the crankcase oil level that high it WILL run rough. I recommend draining the oil, doing a leak test and then putting fresh oil in the crankcase and run the high pressure fuel system test, record the injector short term fuel trims and a relative compression test followed by a manual compression test id any cylinder(s) are low. Then look at the injectors and fuel rails. It was common years ago for a 6.4L engine with elevated oil level to have excessive crankcase oil vapors enter the CAC system and enter the intake and act as unmetered fuel. If this condition is allowed to continue for thousands of miles, piston and cylinder wall damage is possible. I don't have to guess, I know that you are not running a current PCM calibration either - it would have picked up the elevated engine oil level due to fuel dilution LONG AGO. Just sayin.