Re-Introduction + BUILD THREAD for my 2013 FX2

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 02:08 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks Robb,
I am very excited about the Headers, except for the install of course...lol
I've only driven the truck on one short trip & I've read these make a slight whistle, however I heard nothing.

driximus,
This was my thought exactly, but for less than 1/2 price, I figured I'd at least add some color....lol

Old 08-30-2018, 02:11 PM
driximus
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by King-bRanch
Thanks Robb,
I am very excited about the Headers, except for the install of course...lol
I've only driven the truck on one short trip & I've read these make a slight whistle, however I heard nothing.

driximus,
This was my thought exactly, but for less than 1/2 price, I figured I'd at least add some color....lol
if it's a good price and fits into a color scheme or design or you need to push the TB out a bit, by all means, it won't hurt anything.

Sic truck btw

Old 09-16-2018, 09:30 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Recently returned from a 2115 mile trip & not only did I observe the Truck's MPG calculations, I also hand calculated it. In total, I used appx 114 gallons of gas w/an appx cost of $310. (I did not top it off upon returning to town, so the final total is estimated).

As of the last calculated stop at 2004.2 miles, the truck displayed 104.8 gallons @ 19.2 while hand calculations were 108.08 gallons @ 18.54 which is fairly close I guess. Nearly 19 mpg isn't bad considering I run appx 10 mph over the speed limit all the time, so she ran appx 80 mph most of the time.

I am interested to see the difference when I replace these 3.31's with the 3.73's here soon. Shouldn't be too much IMO but then again, it really doesn't matter either. I do not drive it every day & hell, this is the first road trip that we took the truck on since getting it appx 2.5 years ago.

NOTE: Reference my Borla S-Type Exhaust, Sound has gotten much better! A little deeper & a little louder!
This trip really helped, as it had lots of time running which probably baked in the packing material or whatever it does (lol).
It's still not as loud as my Legato system, but the consistent tone of the S-Type is fantastic!

BTW: I have not had a chance to install the new JBA Header's yet

Old 09-18-2018, 10:46 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by King-bRanch
NOTE: Reference my Borla S-Type Exhaust, Sound has gotten much better! A little deeper & a little louder!
This trip really helped, as it had lots of time running which probably baked in the packing material or whatever it does (lol).
It's still not as loud as my Legato system, but the consistent tone of the S-Type is fantastic!
Sweet, glad to hear you're happy with the S-Type overall I do love the consistent tone, very progressive with RPMs.

Enjoy!

Old 09-30-2018, 10:35 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Finally.... I know I've been slacking, but we're too damn busy. Anyway the JBA's have been installed for appx a week now & I'll be honest, it was a horrible job. It took me appx 18 hour's in total to install these damn things! It was also necessary to remove the Right side Engine Mount & the Right side Fender Liner, unbolt the Left Engine Mount from the Engine Block & lift the Engine a few inches by placing a block of wood under the Oil Pan, then jacking carefully. Below are some Pic's I took along the way & my 2 issues I had, one of which was self inflicted...lol

1. Checking the new JBA Headers...

2. Nasty old Right side Manifold...

Right side Manifold removed...

4. Right side Header installed...

5. Left side Manifold removed...

6. Left side Header Installed...

7. Here's your enemy, thankfully the only Stud that broke was from the crossover. ALL engine Stud's came out easily...

8. Just to give you an idea how much I lifted the engine...

9. Here's my mistake, since the factory doesn't use Gaskets or Sealant, even though the directions told me to use a High Temp Sensor Safe Silicone, I thought I knew better & assembled without. They both of course leaked & I had to go to NAPA, remove the Y-Pipe again & applied Sealant to all 3 joints. Very specific directions for this Sealant, you must assemble immediately but only hand tighten until it oozes out, then let sit an hour to tack up before tightening down & finally, wait at least 24 hours before starting engine...

10. After my initial test-drive, I observed the Right side Header was hitting the Strut Tower Bracket & yes, the Valve Cover Bolts are going to be replaced soon. I have no idea what kind of cheap *ss Bolt's Ford is using, but considering I live in the South, this pisses me off...

11. After speaking to JBA, I placed 2 thick Fender Washers under the Right side Motor Mount (one at each Stud) & put a dab of High Heat Header Paint on the spot where the original coating was nicked off. Dustin from JBA assured me it will not rust due to finish damage. He stated its Stainless Steel construction would not rust through, although surface discoloration may appear, which is why I touched it up. This Pic, which has a piece of paper underneath, shows how much clearance I gained from Washers...

​​​​​​​Note: this job requires a lot of time, cursing & beer, to complete... good luck

Old 10-03-2018, 07:48 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 306 Likes on 281 Posts
Wow, that sounds like it was a lot of work. How is the performance now?

Old 10-04-2018, 11:05 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
As Neil said - wow that's alot of work! It does look great though!

Does the exhaust sound any different? Did you need to re-tune PCM?

Old 10-04-2018, 03:54 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Neil, stupid amount of labor to install these

My son & I both think it sounds a little deeper now, but unfortunately I don't think it's any louder. You just can't please me, as one of the reasons I put the BORLA on was to quiet it a little, but now I want it a little louder However, I am not sure if it's in my mind or not, but I swear the truck feels "peppier" now. Either way I am glad I got em on finally, as I am hoping that next year I'll be installing a Roush Supercharger & everybody knows, more air in means more air out

Robb, you do not need to re-tune with Shorty's but u would with Long Tube's.
As long as your using the OE cross-over, the Shorty's bolt right in & no separate tuning required.
I looked around a lot & IMO, JBA looks to make the best Shorty option for the 5.0

Old 10-06-2018, 09:41 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Okay so there is a mod in the future that will take advantage of the shorties..... so all of the time was not a lost.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:04 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Well Friday was a big day for Ruby, I dropped her off at the shop to finally have the 3.73 Gear's & a Detroit TrueTrac installed
That same day UPS arrived with her new RAPTOR Steering Wheel & unfortunately, 28 expensive new Valve Cover Bolt's.... Pic's to follow

Old 11-11-2018, 09:09 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
OE Sport Wheel, nice but.....

Of course a RAPTOR Wheel seems better....

The Raptor Wheel's material even matches my Seat's...

Old 11-11-2018, 12:30 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
As I am not really sure what to show you reference the Gear change & Posi installation, here ya go.....
The boxes that my Detroit TrueTrac, 3.73 Ring/Pinion & a Master Kit, all came in

Old 11-12-2018, 06:33 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Apparently I did not get a big increase in RPM's with this Gear change, so MPG's shouldn't really suffer

3.31 = 1500 @ 60 mph & 1900 @ 80 mph

3.73 = 1600 @ 60 mph & 2100 @ 80 mph

These are not exact but as close as I can tell using the oem Tachometer.

Very happy with this choice so far

Old 11-12-2018, 09:04 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
The RPM's for the 3.73 is about the same that mine runs at those speeds with the 5.4.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:37 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Finally got those rusted Valve Cover Bolt's all replaced, but at a cost of appx $160 for 28 new Bolt's
I think FORD should reimburse me, cheap *ss crap! This is a low mileage, rust free, southern Truck. Only good news is that I was able to get them all out without breaking any off. Only the bottom 6 on each side were the worst & while a 10 mm socket is supposed to fit them, it required a 9 mm & even an 8 mm at times, tapped on w/a hammer to get them off :blink:

Quick Reply: Re-Introduction + BUILD THREAD for my 2013 FX2