1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Hood won't latch down. Secondary lever won't lock.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 09:59 AM
GreenMM
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hood won't latch down. Secondary lever won't lock.

Probably a dumb question to post but I cannot seem to figure out why this is not working. 1998 Ford e250 cargo van.

The backup latch that you manually move at the grill works fine and holds the hood down.
But when you shut the hood it bounces back up from flush and has a gap that flaps around on the highway which I know is not ideal and a bit dangerous as I know they can let go. The inside cable mechanism seems to be working correctly and seems to spring back. The inside pull / release pulls right back on your hand after pulling it.

In the pic, I am pointing the primary lever. I can push this one all the way down / back with pliers / screwdriver and it does not ever lock into place. It simply springs right back to open. (Which indicates this 2nd spring is still there and working - it has a lot of spring resistance at the latch).
The larger / front one in the pic does in fact lock when I push it all the way down.

Would I just spray lube the whole thing and then mechanically work the latch in and out a lot to try to free it up?

Thanks, I am sure this is a dumb newb question.

Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2016, 10:34 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMM

Would I just spray lube the whole thing and then mechanically work the latch in and out a lot to try to free it up?

Thanks, I am sure this is a dumb newb question.
Not a dumb question at all!

I'm assuming pulling the inside cable operates that portion of the latch, that its not binding anywhere?

If not the latch is broken internally, the catch holding it against the hood strike bar is the culprit. Given the important of that latch I'd buy a new one, someone somewhere like eBay will have them. That would be the preferred method for me even if it were aftermarket.

Lubricating it with a good grade that won't run off or evaporate due heat would be best---the cable by now will probably have stretched a bit which puts a bit of strain on that whole release system.

The part number you're seeking is: 6C2Z-16700 AA--use it to search the internerd. There will be at least 3 variations due different year hoods---be careful to double check compatibility.

HTH

Old 05-24-2016, 12:46 PM
GreenMM
Senior User
Thanks!
I think I will look into getting a replacement then.
Appreciate the info

Old 05-24-2016, 07:17 PM
jimandnena
Elder User
Thanks!
I think I will look into getting a replacement then.
Appreciate the info
Look for bolts on either side of the primary latch. Perhaps it needs adjustment to line up with the strike plate in the hood. There is probably a flat steel spring in the hood to push the hood open when unlatched from inside. jim

Old 05-24-2016, 08:29 PM
GreenMM
Senior User
Thanks Jim, I will definitely take a look at that

Old 05-25-2016, 07:15 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Thanks Jim, I will definitely take a look at that
Something about that latch just looks wrong. It does not match any of the Ford hood latches that I have looked at. Do you know if the vehicle was in a crash or some other damage?

Old 05-25-2016, 08:23 AM
GreenMM
Senior User
Well, I do believe there was a minor front end impact. I think the p.o. stated the bumper needed replacement. I have the receipt somewhere. It didn't look like a repair of much consequence when i read it before.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:31 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Geez man that thing is dryer than a camel's A-hole.

Spray some lube on it and try it before you buy a new part.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:46 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Im50fast
Geez man that thing is dryer than a camel's A-hole.

Spray some lube on it and try it before you buy a new part.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:57 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Well, I do believe there was a minor front end impact. I think the p.o. stated the bumper needed replacement. I have the receipt somewhere. It didn't look like a repair of much consequence when i read it before.
Check this piece to see if it moves down far enough to let the hood engage the primary latch. If it jams, the hood can't close far enough to latch completely. If that is OK, then the main latch needs adjustment. Possibly the repair guy didn't tighten the bolts enough?

Old 05-26-2016, 07:57 PM
GreenMM
Senior User
Nice highlight color!
Ok, maybe I'm a little confused now. The green highlighted latch will go all the way down and lock into place. Then I can release it with the hood release lever. Hmmm... wait a second, now I'm more confused... I recall having to go back to the kickwell of the van and pull that main release to get that large lever to release.
I do know for sure the small lever in the right / front of the pic would not lock up when I pushed it all the way in.

Geez, wish my van was nearby right now to go check that out. I might be away from it for, er, a couple more weeks.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:59 PM
jimandnena
Elder User
I thought green might be your color! haha

I found a part number for the latch:
6C2Z-16700-AA

if you plug that into google and look at images it seems to be your model. Can't tell much from the photos, gonna have to be one of those eyeball inspections to figure it out. jim

Old 05-27-2016, 05:29 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
The latch both Jim and I provide part numbers fits the '97 and later E-Series, the green highlighted portion is the secondary safety catch released by hand, the tab being accessed through the grill. BTW that can be released only after the inside cable is pulled to release the actual latch.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:58 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Originally Posted by JWA
The latch both Jim and I provide part numbers fits the '97 and later E-Series, the green highlighted portion is the secondary safety catch released by hand, the tab being accessed through the grill. BTW that can be released only after the inside cable is pulled to release the actual latch.
HOW did I miss that, JW?
Now I have CSeeS in addition to CRS. I should never post until AFTER the coffee is brewed. hahaha
jim

Old 05-27-2016, 06:29 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by jimandnena
HOW did I miss that, JW?
Now I have CSeeS in addition to CRS. I should never post until AFTER the coffee is brewed. hahaha
jim

No harm Jim----sometimes TMI is just enough?

FWIW the only way I caught that replication is I posted it a bit earlier---otherwise I'd have missed it too.

Quick Reply: Hood won't latch down. Secondary lever won't lock.