1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Is my #8 injector suppose to be different from the rest?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 09:22 AM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is my #8 injector suppose to be different from the rest?

I just ordered 8 new stock Alliant "AD" injectors for my 2001 truck. My mechanic called me and told me that the #8 cylinder came with an AE injector?? So the big question is, can I use the new AD for the #8 ??
Thanks, Kevin

Old 05-24-2016, 09:28 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
From my understanding the AE was developed to reduce the noise the injector made in the number 8 position. The AD and AE are interchangeable based on my research.

Words from RiffRaff

Alliant 'AE' Fuel Injector Ford 7.3L Powerstroke

Old 05-24-2016, 09:35 AM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The "AE" is a "long lead" injector that Ford installed in #8 only, as a TSB on earlier trucks and as factory production on the later 7.3L's, in an effort to cure "cackle" issues at idle. This is/was a result of the deadhead fuel rail design.

My 2000 had all AD injectors when I pulled them and swapped in larger 180cc single shots (modified AA code).
Technically, it doesn't really matter whether you run all AD, or put the AE in #8; except that the pcm needs to be flashed with appropriate strategy. So, since your pcm is programmed for an AE in #8, you need to either stick with that, or have the PCM flashed for it having all AD's. - Correction- I see you have a DP Tuner chip. Call them up and see about updating the tune if you want to ditch the AE.

For that matter, if you are going through the time and expense of doing new injectors, why are you bothering with stock replacements, when you can get upgraded/larger single shots for not much more. I got my 180cc singles from Full Force Diesel in TN. Ryan was great to work with. He literally spent hours on the phone with me.

EDIT: Especially considering that you already have an S&B intake, and a 5" exhaust. Those mods are virtually worthless with only stock injectors. You simply can't use much more air or exhaust then stock, with the limited fuel flow potential of the stock AD/AE injectors. You've already spent the money on those supporting mods, so put them to use with bigger injectors. And maybe do a minor turbo upgrade, such as a rebuild with 360deg thrust bearing and a WickedWheel2 billet compressor wheel, and a tuning update for the new parts. It will make a big difference. And realistically, if you don;t do it now, do you really think you'll buy another set of injectors later? Now is the time. Pull the trigger on some power!

Old 05-24-2016, 09:57 AM
Otto396
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with car guy! Get the bigger injectors! I got my 180cc single shots stage 1 for the same price as factory remans!

Old 05-24-2016, 10:54 AM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
I'm not looking to make crazy power with my truck. It's my daily driver and is used to tow our Rv. I just want to be able to get in, turn the key and go. I wanted a better intake than stock and I liked the look of the S&B plus it sounds good. I also liked the look and deep tone of the 5" exhaust. Whether or not these"mods" are worthless I really don't know? But with the DpTuner she moves along just fine for me..

Besides when I'm in the mood to drive something with power I take out my 2013 Shelby GT500.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:38 AM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sous
From my understanding the AE was developed to reduce the noise the injector made in the number 8 position. The AD and AE are interchangeable based on my research.

Words from RiffRaff

Alliant 'AE' Fuel Injector Ford 7.3L Powerstroke
Well after doing a little research I found out that they use the AE injector for #8 cylinder because it is sometimes staved for fuel since it's the last cylinder to get it. Supposedly the AE makes up for it?

I just wish I new that when ordering. I just got on RiffRaff's website and it said late 99-03's use AD injectors. So I ordered 8 not knowing one was different.... Now I'm just waiting for Clay to call me back to see if I can swap an AD for AE.

Thanks guys..

Old 05-24-2016, 11:43 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by carguy3j
My 2000 had all AD injectors when I pulled them and swapped in larger 180cc single shots (modified AA code).
Technically, it doesn't really matter whether you run all AD, or put the AE in #8; except that the pcm needs to be flashed with appropriate strategy. So, since your pcm is programmed for an AE in #8, you need to either stick with that, or have the PCM flashed for it having all AD's. - Correction- I see you have a DP Tuner chip. Call them up and see about updating the tune if you want to ditch the AE.
I was not aware that the PCM was modified to treat the AE differently. I guess if/when I order new injectors, I need to pull the valve cover for #8 and see what it is.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:43 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by EcoboostKev
I just wish I new that when ordering. I just got on RiffRaff's website and it said late 99-03's use AD injectors. So I ordered 8 not knowing one was different.... Now I'm just waiting for Clay to call me back to see if I can swap an AD for AE.

Thanks guys..
I would have done the exact same thing. I like to learn from the experiences of others if I can, and this is one of those times.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:48 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I would like to know what this 'longer lead' is on that AE injector. There are no wires attached so it's not a lead wire, there are no fuel lines attached to it so it's not a fuel lead. What is that lead?

Old 05-24-2016, 03:22 PM
Otto396
Senior User
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
I would like to know what this 'longer lead' is on that AE injector. There are no wires attached so it's not a lead wire, there are no fuel lines attached to it so it's not a fuel lead. What is that lead?
It is inside the solenoid. The lead holds the injector open a little longer when fuel is filling the injector from the head to help keep it from starving for fuel.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:41 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by carguy3j
Technically, it doesn't really matter whether you run all AD, or put the AE in #8; except that the pcm needs to be flashed with appropriate strategy. So, since your pcm is programmed for an AE in #8, you need to either stick with that, or have the PCM flashed for it having all AD's.
Here is the reason Ford gives for the calibration update.

Originally Posted by TSB 00-22-1
In addition to replacing the injector,
thePowertrain Control Module (PCM) must be
reprogrammed to prevent the #8 injector from
flagging a false Cylinder Contribution Test code
during future diagnostic tests.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:25 PM
Gatordog
Senior User
That explains why mine fails the CCT for #8 only. Should I bring the truck for that re-flash before adding the T6 chip?

Old 05-24-2016, 04:33 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Probably no need to bother. The CMP sensor that was used when the calibration was updated isn't even available anymore. CCT on #8 seems to be a fail with the new sensor regardless of the calibration

Old 05-24-2016, 05:51 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
So it sounds like they are interchangeable and that the injector itself is holding the chamber open a little longer and the only reason to reflash the PCM would be to eliminate a code when diagnosing? I'm gathering information for when I dive in one day.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:17 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
They should be interchangeable, yes. I'm pretty sure I saw @cleatus12r post somewhere about this subject, too. Maybe he'll notice this and comment on the calibration. The only real info I have is what Ford published, whereas he's seen the actual code in the PCM. I can say this, I have a mix of AB and AD injectors in my engine with an AD in #8, and there's nothing noticeable in the data or the way it runs that would make me think it's any problem.

Quick Reply: Is my #8 injector suppose to be different from the rest?