6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

School me on the 6.7, I might buy one

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 07:33 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by projectnitemare
It's already too late. For my truck and $10 more a month it was a no brainier. Traded my wife's escape on a new fusion too for $2 more.
Yeah but for how many more years of payments?
There's a reason why so many used car lots don't paint the price of the car on the windshield but will paint the monthly payment amount..
Congratulations and Good luck with your new truck and car!

Old 05-24-2016, 07:42 AM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
It's already too late. For my truck and $10 more a month it was a no brainier. Traded my wife's escape on a new fusion too for $2 more.
You must have test driven it. That always seems to do it with the 6.7. It takes a strong will to walk away from one after having been behind the wheel. Congrats, you will love it.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:04 AM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a 6.7 also , do they have any major common issues such as the fuel pumps on the 6.4?

Old 05-24-2016, 08:09 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Vinford
I'm thinking of buying a 6.7 also , do they have any major common issues such as the fuel pumps on the 6.4?
Read this (6.7) forum and learn... Search specifically for fuel contamination issues, the cost of repair, the denial of warranty claims etc.. I won't say that these failures are common, however, fuel contamination still seems to be a major factor in those failures.
I would not own one of these engines without a warranty on it - and I take very good care to make sure that I am feeding it good quality diesel by taking fuel samples. I keep all my fuel receipts in case of a problem as well..

How many times have you sampled or were compelled to sample your fuel for a gasser?

Old 05-24-2016, 08:57 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,625 Likes on 1,643 Posts
Originally Posted by Vinford
One thing to remember.......there are many thousands of these trucks on the road.........and by far, the majority of the owners never post anything on the forums! The only time one might post here, is if some rare issue arrises! Most just keep on running, and running, and running! Just need to remember that the potential for very expensive repairs is there with a diesel, but then it has always been this way!
Now, with all this being said, if you have doubts, you probably better not go test drive one! And if you do test drive one......do NOT push the gas pedal to the floor, or it will all be over!������ Good luck

Old 05-24-2016, 09:55 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Read this (6.7) forum and learn... Search specifically for fuel contamination issues, the cost of repair, the denial of warranty claims etc.. I won't say that these failures are common, however, fuel contamination still seems to be a major factor in those failures.
I would not own one of these engines without a warranty on it - and I take very good care to make sure that I am feeding it good quality diesel by taking fuel samples. I keep all my fuel receipts in case of a problem as well..

How many times have you sampled or were compelled to sample your fuel for a gasser?
You bring up something that comes across this and other forums frequently. I'd like to address it with another point of view, and something to consider for every owner out there.

While contamination happens, there's several things to keep in mind. First is that it's not all that common, but it does happen. We hear about it on a forum because people usually are angry when it happens to them. And understandably so, their anger is taken to forums such as this. So the forum members probably hear about it more than your common diesel owner.

Another thing to consider is that fuel contamination issues can mostly be avoided. More often than not, it's actually the owner's fault for fuel contamination. The obvious being DEF poured into the fuel tank accidentally. But the not so obvious issues arise from owners who have had diesels in the past, and are unfamiliar with the changes in the current generation of high-tech/emissions controlled diesel engines. This isn't just for Ford, but rather applies to all current modern diesels from all auto manufacturers.

Fuel contamination happens in a number of ways. People often assume that fuel stations are to blame for a majority of the problems, but that isn't necessarily the case as often as people might believe. Yes, it can happen where you get a bad batch of diesel, or the underground tank was filled with gasoline rather than diesel (I know someone who had that happen to them and had the receipt and fuel samples to prove it), or whatever. Filling stations get a bulk of the blame when it most likely wasn't their fault, unless it was completely obvious and near instantaneous. In reality, much of the fuel contamination tends to happen by how a person cares for their own truck, and often times this is a bit more common and a bit tricky because it happens over time.

Lack of maintenance can be an issue for sure, and it does happen at times. The newer trucks do a good job of combating lack of maintenance with constant reminders. So that helps mitigate some of the problems. The big one is what owners put in their tanks. Not just at the pump mind you, but what else goes in with the fuel. In days past people ran transmission fluid, WMO, or just about anything else they could get their hands on that would burn. Older diesels had fuel systems that were more forgiving and more tolerant of having other things thrown in the tank, but even those suffered failures from time to time. On these newer motors, you can't get away with such add-ins. Common rail just doesn't respond the same as P-pump, HEUI, and other injection systems to various types of fuel sources. But there's still some old time diesel owners out there who still do this kind of thing. It seems they are becoming a bit more educated as of late and those practices seem to be dying.

The tricky one is additives, and this last part is something to pay attention to because it's probably far more common than what most people realize. There's a ton of them out there, and they market heavily to diesel owners. We see threads like these where there is mentioning of an ongoing fear of failures, particularly with the fuel system on new engines. So in order to appease that fear, companies market these additives as protection to help prolong the life of their fuel systems. The problem is, not all additives are the same.

All the manufacturers of your modern engines recommend that if you are going to use additives, to only use products that boost cetane, promote lubricity, and in winter use anti-gel as directed. However, there are many other additives on the market that do more, way more. Many contain alcohol or other products that supposedly "clean" your injection system, which actually strip away lubricity. Some products claim that they emulsify or disperse water, which in reality severely reduces or nearly eliminates the fuel conditioners/water separators from doing the job they are designed to do. All of those products often come at a price down the road in terms of fuel system failures. They actually contribute to allowing contaminates to bypass the fuel conditioners, water separators, filters, etc of these engines, and promote additional wear on components, rust, and other problems. All the while, the owner THINKS they are doing a good thing for their truck.

How many threads do we see where people ask about additives, recommend certain products or brands, and talk about the effects such as noise reduction and fuel economy? Out of those threads, how many of those products offer more than just a cetane boost or lubricity enhancement? If you scroll through those threads, it's quite common. More people are doing harm to their engines than they realize, and the recommendation of these products continues to grow in popularity, all based on owner's fears of having thousands of dollars in repairs down the road. The problem is, they are now contributing to the very problem they are attempting to avoid.

Be careful what you put in your tank. Read and understand the owner's manual and what the auto manufacturers recommend and what they don't recommend. These motors can last a very long time if properly taken care of, but it's best to learn facts rather than to rely on marketing.

Anyway, just something to think about. Sorry for the long post.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:19 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
Fuel hygiene becomes important when the injectors operate in the vicinity of 20,000 psi and fire around 50 times per second.

I bought my 2002 diesel used. First fuel filter change I found bio-growth in the moisture detector. Diesel shop recommend I treat tank for bio-growth periodically.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:45 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,625 Likes on 1,643 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
You bring up something that comes across this and other forums frequently. I'd like to address it with another point of view, and something to consider for every owner out there.

While contamination happens, there's several things to keep in mind. First is that it's not all that common, but it does happen. We hear about it on a forum because people usually are angry when it happens to them. And understandably so, their anger is taken to forums such as this. So the forum members probably hear about it more than your common diesel owner.

Another thing to consider is that fuel contamination issues can mostly be avoided. More often than not, it's actually the owner's fault for fuel contamination. The obvious being DEF poured into the fuel tank accidentally. But the not so obvious issues arise from owners who have had diesels in the past, and are unfamiliar with the changes in the current generation of high-tech/emissions controlled diesel engines. This isn't just for Ford, but rather applies to all current modern diesels from all auto manufacturers.

Fuel contamination happens in a number of ways. People often assume that fuel stations are to blame for a majority of the problems, but that isn't necessarily the case as often as people might believe. Yes, it can happen where you get a bad batch of diesel, or the underground tank was filled with gasoline rather than diesel (I know someone who had that happen to them and had the receipt and fuel samples to prove it), or whatever. Filling stations get a bulk of the blame when it most likely wasn't their fault, unless it was completely obvious and near instantaneous. In reality, much of the fuel contamination tends to happen by how a person cares for their own truck, and often times this is a bit more common and a bit tricky because it happens over time.

Lack of maintenance can be an issue for sure, and it does happen at times. The newer trucks do a good job of combating lack of maintenance with constant reminders. So that helps mitigate some of the problems. The big one is what owners put in their tanks. Not just at the pump mind you, but what else goes in with the fuel. In days past people ran transmission fluid, WMO, or just about anything else they could get their hands on that would burn. Older diesels had fuel systems that were more forgiving and more tolerant of having other things thrown in the tank, but even those suffered failures from time to time. On these newer motors, you can't get away with such add-ins. Common rail just doesn't respond the same as P-pump, HEUI, and other injection systems to various types of fuel sources. But there's still some old time diesel owners out there who still do this kind of thing. It seems they are becoming a bit more educated as of late and those practices seem to be dying.

The tricky one is additives, and this last part is something to pay attention to because it's probably far more common than what most people realize. There's a ton of them out there, and they market heavily to diesel owners. We see threads like these where there is mentioning of an ongoing fear of failures, particularly with the fuel system on new engines. So in order to appease that fear, companies market these additives as protection to help prolong the life of their fuel systems. The problem is, not all additives are the same.

All the manufacturers of your modern engines recommend that if you are going to use additives, to only use products that boost cetane, promote lubricity, and in winter use anti-gel as directed. However, there are many other additives on the market that do more, way more. Many contain alcohol or other products that supposedly "clean" your injection system, which actually strip away lubricity. Some products claim that they emulsify or disperse water, which in reality severely reduces or nearly eliminates the fuel conditioners/water separators from doing the job they are designed to do. All of those products often come at a price down the road in terms of fuel system failures. They actually contribute to allowing contaminates to bypass the fuel conditioners, water separators, filters, etc of these engines, and promote additional wear on components, rust, and other problems. All the while, the owner THINKS they are doing a good thing for their truck.

How many threads do we see where people ask about additives, recommend certain products or brands, and talk about the effects such as noise reduction and fuel economy? Out of those threads, how many of those products offer more than just a cetane boost or lubricity enhancement? If you scroll through those threads, it's quite common. More people are doing harm to their engines than they realize, and the recommendation of these products continues to grow in popularity, all based on owner's fears of having thousands of dollars in repairs down the road. The problem is, they are now contributing to the very problem they are attempting to avoid.

Be careful what you put in your tank. Read and understand the owner's manual and what the auto manufacturers recommend and what they don't recommend. These motors can last a very long time if properly taken care of, but it's best to learn facts rather than to rely on marketing.

Anyway, just something to think about. Sorry for the long post.
This! very well stated! Thank you, Curtis. Reps intended, but I have to spread them around more yet! 😀😀

Old 05-24-2016, 05:28 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Congrats... For some reason I knew you were coming home with a diesel...

And you made the wife happy as well.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:57 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 99150
This! very well stated! Thank you, Curtis. Reps intended, but I have to spread them around more yet! 😀😀
X2 a Rep Gun is apparently empty....

I have what I think is a healthy paranoia regarding fuel contamination. If it ever happens to me, I will hopefully catch it before it has a chance to do any damage.
It may p!$$ off the guy behind me that I am "wasting time" taking my sample - but that's his problem...

Old 05-26-2016, 09:48 AM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Yeah but for how many more years of payments?
There's a reason why so many used car lots don't paint the price of the car on the windshield but will paint the monthly payment amount..
Congratulations and Good luck with your new truck and car!
Payments are a fact of life. All I did was just start over like I did back in 2014. You are right people go for payment not vehicle price, they don't understand what that's costing them. I got 2 great deals.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:26 AM
Ironmanathlete
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this thread has been dead for months, but It looks like if you do your own care it's marginally different than a gasser. $60 for oil and a filter, and $55 every third oil change to do the 2 fuel filters, which appears really easy to do yourself.

I am hoping to purchase a 6.7 SD soon

Old 11-11-2016, 04:47 PM
Brettboat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The second you drive a 6.7 truck, you'll be sold on it...

I'll leave it at that.