Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Recently purchased F550 and Intro

Old 05-20-2016, 07:30 AM
kurlee
New User
kurlee is starting off with a positive reputation.
Recently purchased F550 and Intro

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 2006 F550, and I figured I would introduce myself here as I am sure I will be spending a lot of time here getting to know my truck. I am a regular on adventure motorcycle forums and have a lot of mechanical experience. My other car is a Prius

I don't have pics yet because she is being shipped from Des Moines to Norfolk, VA, but she is a 2006 F-550 4x4 with 120K miles. Utility bed and whatnot. I paid just over $10K for her, around $11 after shipping so I think I gave myself a fair buffer to sort out any mechanical issues. I plan on keeping her mostly stock and towing a travel trailer that my wife and I will be living in.

While I am waiting for her to arrive, what kind of diagnostic/troubleshooting equipment should I be gathering?

Thanks
Kurlee

Old 05-20-2016, 08:20 AM
Ruslan Shevchuk
Senior User
Ruslan Shevchuk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hey Kurlee,

Welcome to FTE! An elm327 Obd adapter from Amazon linked to the Torque Pro app will be your main sidekick. Try searching the forum for pids specific for your engine that you'll manually input through the app to monitor custom gauges regarding your engine vitals. You'll also be able to read and clear dtc codes. Best few bucks you'll ever spend, and it'll save you much more if you learn how to monitor the values. Good luck!

Russ

Old 05-20-2016, 10:55 AM
kurlee
New User
$11??? I'm loving this ford thing. I just sold a Land Rover and when I was shopping for a code reader, the only useful ones where around $450.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:09 PM
FiveOJester
Senior User
FiveOJester is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.FiveOJester is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Welcome, the Tech Folder at the top has a TON of good info, read thru that first.

I assume you are part of ADVRider.com? I"m on there too, West Coast though.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:26 PM
kurlee
New User

yaaaaay

Everything looks pretty clean

Warn bumper and winch

lights that move with switches

Big

Concerned about the wear pattern on this brake rotor

Coolant Resevoir

Very worried about this fluid

Old 05-25-2016, 05:23 PM
Norton72
Elder User
Norton72 has a good reputation on FTE.Norton72 has a good reputation on FTE.
Looks like it's been sitting a while. Do they salt the roads in Des Moine? Looks like brake fluid on the inside of the rear wheel. Knowledgeable people should be along shortly.

Congratulations and I hope it all works out well. DRW 4WD with 120K for $10K sounds like a good deal. You should be able to afford to sink a little into it. Good luck!

Old 05-26-2016, 08:34 AM
Ruslan Shevchuk
Senior User
Ruslan Shevchuk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yours looks identical to mine, except mine's got the flat bed dump. Hate the xl trim though..

Old 05-26-2016, 08:38 AM
Macrosill
Elder User
Macrosill is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by kurlee View Post

yaaaaay

Everything looks pretty clean

Warn bumper and winch

lights that move with switches

Big

Concerned about the wear pattern on this brake rotor

Coolant Resevoir

Very worried about this fluid

That leak on the inside of the right rear wheel could be brake fluid or the axle seal. When I got my truck I had a very similar leak. I thought it was the brakes but it turned out the be the axle seal.

The repair was easy once I got the correct seal. The dealer gave me the wrong one, napa had the wrong one. I had to research it myself and go to the dealer with the part number. He swore it was not the correct part for my vin but it is exactly the part needed.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:13 PM
FiveOJester
Senior User
FiveOJester is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.FiveOJester is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What beast of a differential comes in those 550s?

Looks like a normal D60 in the front?

Old 05-26-2016, 02:15 PM
kurlee
New User
Originally Posted by FiveOJester View Post
What beast of a differential comes in those 550s?

Looks like a normal D60 in the front?
Dana S110 in the rear, Dana super 60 up front

Old 05-26-2016, 02:17 PM
kurlee
New User
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
That leak on the inside of the right rear wheel could be brake fluid or the axle seal. When I got my truck I had a very similar leak. I thought it was the brakes but it turned out the be the axle seal.

The repair was easy once I got the correct seal. The dealer gave me the wrong one, napa had the wrong one. I had to research it myself and go to the dealer with the part number. He swore it was not the correct part for my vin but it is exactly the part needed.
I'll be tackling that job in the first round of maintenance. She isn't registered yet so I'm taking my time and combing through everything.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:14 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Norton72 View Post
Looks like it's been sitting a while. Do they salt the roads in Des Moine? Looks like brake fluid on the inside of the rear wheel. Knowledgeable people should be along shortly.

Congratulations and I hope it all works out well. DRW 4WD with 120K for $10K sounds like a good deal. You should be able to afford to sink a little into it. Good luck!
Yes, they salt the roads in DSM and all of IA and the midwest . More of a liquid mixture that works well, but is absolute hell on vehicles if not washed off right away.

Glad to see that truck has what appears to be red ELC.