Sponsored by: Moser

Here it is! Highboy back on the road.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 02:38 AM
Coltin1992
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here it is! Highboy back on the road.

I probably should of made a build thread when I started but hey maybe next ?

I've absolutely loved the 73-79 Ford trucks since I was a kid. I'd always wanted one. Didn't really know much about them. But just knew someday I wanted an old ford.

Well.. one night at a family gathering event my cousin and I were bs'ing and he said he's got a Highboy and asked jokingly if I wanted to buy it. I said actually.. yea I do want to buy it.

He showed me these pictures of it... and I was sold on it.

Information about the truck before I get going.

1975 Ford F250 Highboy XLT

390FE
Holley 750 Carb
Comp cammed xtreme energy
6 in lift on 37s
Part time 4WD
Full length headers w/ 3in exhaust break out before rear wheels

He told me that he'd gone mudding in it and ended up busted a ujoint and broke a yoke pulling someone out (probably a chebby). So it was just sitting at his place. So we went to his place and this is what I saw.

Well... He said he'd fix it, and clean it up. Let me drive it for the weekend and see what I thought. And then we'd talk "numbers". I wanted to talk numbers and drive the truck off the second I saw it. But it wasn't driveable.. and it was dirtier than a sum B. So I said ok. Well I ended up driving it for the weekend and I was ready to talk numbers man.. NUMBERS!! And I had numbers ready in my pocket . But he wanted to clean it more LOL! He was having a really hard time getting rid of this truck (who'd blame him). But he needed the money. So I was off. Revved it to 6 grand and dropped the hammer and roasted those 37s all the way out of his drive way. Kidding. I babyed the crap out of the truck. And honestly still do (most the time ).

I drove the truck for about 5 or 6 months. Just absolutely loved it. Carried 1300 pounds of wet trash and it felt like the bed was empty.

Well I decided to tear it apart and go threw everything. Leave the cab and front fenders on. I went into the build like this. It runs great. Drives ok. Brakes ok. And needs some help cosmetically.

I had never gotten this deep on any vehicle. So I just started tearing things apart. Going threw everything. Knuckle bearings were gone. Literally gone. Good thing I got to them. Replaced and greased all bearings. Replaced brake shoes. Replaced & greased ujoints. Changed diff/trans fliuds. Seat cover was from Christmas

Well drove it down the road few times with no bed, doors, any interior. And it drove great.

Most of interior came out. Every weather seal on the truck needed to be replaced. Windshield was cracked. So all glass came out as well. Managed to only cut my hand once taking the glass out.

The body was in decent shape honestly. Literally grinded off all the rust I could see wheels to tippy top of my roof lights. Had to do fiberglass/bondo work on few spots. The body still has minor dings. It's a show truck. But only from 10-15+ feet away

I'm definitely not a body guy I found out. I don't have much patience. But managed to get threw to the best of my ability and started prepping for paint. And dressing the frame and grill up. Sprayed Primer.

So... I didn't have the money to pay someone to spray. So I did it myself. wait for it.... with rustoleum and mineral spirits . And it came out amazing. Lots of sanding. Painting. And research. But I'm very happy with the results and it DOES last if you did it right to begin with.

Now the bed that was original to the truck was done. Rusted. I asked my mom if she wanted to put it in her yard for an antique but she didn't like that idea. Or use it as a bed frame. Anyways she said no to both and it sits in my back field now. My cousin gave me a 78 or 79 bed? Guess it could be after 77.5? I don't know but it was in good shape. And I loved how it had the fuel doors so I can eventually carry 60 gallons of fuel on the beast. Here's prepping that for paint and doors.

Was so excited to get this bed on. 2 manned it no lift. I pulled off the original by myself. No lift. Had to redrill holes cause those highboy frames are so narrow. New carriage bolts. Old bed was only held by 3 bolts .

Bed painted and sprayed some truck bed liner. Used the Original 75 tailgate. Was in better shape than the newer one. Hinge mechanisms needed some work. Got everything hooked up greased. Opening and closing like a charm.

Well now that the majority of the painting was done. Moved on to electrical and interior. Heating ducts were falling apart. Fixed those. No Dash lights. My electric radiator fan would stay on sometimes. No reverse lights. I just went threw everything. Dielectric greased all sockets and connections I could. Cleaned grounds. Everything was pretty easy to fix. There was no harness to my reverse switch? I believe my truck started out as an auto though? It used to have full time FWD. It had the factory jumper to the reverse switch tp the tranny. And I just found out the hole was cut out for the shifter. Definitely not a factory cut. I don't know. Still learning about this truck. Anyways. All electrical is working. And I mean all of it!

Bought a CB and PA system. 5 foot antenna. You betcha. Sprayed some fabric gloss black on dash pad and sun visors. Turned out very well.

Now it was time for the fun part and that's putting this machine back together. Bumper installed. New mud flaps. And bug Shield (thanks Rich!) Also bought me a toolbox. Grill back on. Light covers.

Now time for interior. New carpet Kit (didn't have carpet before). Headliner with speaker inserts. All new black trim. New skid trim. Wired in a new system. JL audio door speakers (thanks bro). 4, 4 inch pioneers for headliner. And the Mac daddy pioneer headunit (before you spend a grand for something better). And new door seals.

Doors went back on. New pins & bushings (wow those are a pain in the ***). Side trim. New wheels arches. I also decided to stay with the Westcoast mirrors. I like them better than the originals. So bought new shiny ones. Still waiting for LH grill insert in mail. So this is where I am at as of today. Windows go in tomorrow. And then tint. So few more things till she is done!

Thanks everyone for reading. And more importantly. Thanks for your help. Will keep this updated till she's finished (few days)

- Coltin

Here is the final result. Drove it into town without any windows. Even passed a smokey. They managed to get the windshield in and rear glass (brand new windshield). But they said they wouldn't do the vent windows cause the nuts were seized. And they didn't have a rivet gun. So had to tackle that on my own. Heated up the nuts and soaked it in DW-40. They backed right off. Installed all window glass runs & vent window seal. Installed door windows and cranks (that was a pain in the ***). Buttoned up new door panels and that completes the project!

Thanks everyone for your help last few months. Love this forum! I've gotten 3 people ask me if it's for sale already and I've had it on the road for a few days! Now to enjoy this truck during the nice Western Washington weather!

- Coltin

Old 05-17-2016, 03:16 AM
kegger66
More Turbo
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Great job on the truck, looks awesome !

Old 05-17-2016, 07:52 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 351 Likes on 282 Posts
I'm confused - you did all this work before you and your cousin agreed on a price?

Old 05-17-2016, 08:23 AM
jbehuniak
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where did you get the west coast mirrors. Love those!

Old 05-17-2016, 09:02 AM
axidjw
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great job and the truck looks freaking GOOD!! thanks for sharing your journey with us!!

Old 05-17-2016, 09:04 AM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great work! That is almost exactly what I did with my truck, down to replacing the bed with a wide frame model and having to redrill the holes.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:10 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,279 Likes on 2,437 Posts
Wow looking awesome, lots of hard work right there and a very nice bug guard. lol

Old 05-17-2016, 12:17 PM
Coltin1992
Senior User
Originally Posted by jas88
I'm confused - you did all this work before you and your cousin agreed on a price?
No lol. Guess I Should of been a little more clear. We talked numbers and agreed on a price after I drove it for the weekend. Thanks everyone!

Old 05-17-2016, 12:19 PM
Coltin1992
Senior User
Originally Posted by jbehuniak
Where did you get the west coast mirrors. Love those!

Yea me too. Bought them from amazon.

Amazon.com: **** 47500, JR. West Coast Mirror and Bracket: Automotive Amazon.com: **** 47500, JR. West Coast Mirror and Bracket: Automotive

Old 05-17-2016, 12:43 PM
scsjones
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good lookin old truck you got there!

Old 05-17-2016, 06:44 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 202 Likes on 160 Posts
I can't add any more to what everyone else has already said.
Nice, really nice .

Old 05-17-2016, 07:13 PM
fe390pc
Logistics Pro
Received 187 Likes on 171 Posts
I would be proud to drive that truck and tell anyone I did it myself on a budget.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:51 AM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow looks great! Black is a tough color as it shows all flaws but looks like you pulled it off!!!

And thats a 6" lift with 37's?

Old 05-18-2016, 02:12 AM
Coltin1992
Senior User
Originally Posted by SuperDuty93
Wow looks great! Black is a tough color as it shows all flaws but looks like you pulled it off!!!

And thats a 6" lift with 37's?
Thanks everyone. Will update this thread tomorrow. ALL Glass is in. Doing finishing things tomorrow. Yes I'm told it's a 6 inch lift from my cousin (who I bought it from). Tires are 37s.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:55 AM
Coltin1992
Senior User
She's all finished. Pics at the end of post! Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: Here it is! Highboy back on the road.